Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2015, 05:52 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
How much work compared to a trailer?

Too funny! Back on topic.

I have a truck that would pull a trailer. It hauls construction materials and junk. Its reliable, noisy, and drives like a truck. I would never think of taking it on vacation. If I hat a truck that I would take on vacation, I wouldn't be dumping loads of construction debris in it with a end loader. So I don't need another vehicle sitting around. The motorhome works well for me. We put the bikes on the back and the only thing I've towed is a boat. Might look for an electric motorcycle that will hang on the back.

You can get a nice little efficient daily driver and use it as a toad. Maybe even electric. Build a charging station into the Moho electrical.

I've owned airplanes, boats, and other secondhand toys. Stuff I couldn't afford or justify buying new. I've always had good experiences. I treat preventative maintenance as it do on aircraft that I work on. Haven't been let down yet but know that there is always the probability that something will let me down. We gotten over 20,000 miles of trouble free RVing out of the 360 and I trust it to go anywhere. We are in Michigan with it right now and will be heading back to Colorado in about a week. The things that have failed on the road are, TV antenna, furnace controller, mud dobbers in the hot water heater, and a leak in the potable water system.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:59 AM   #22
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Swear equity, man if that doesn't sum it all up in one expression.

To OP

The past couple of posts are prime examples of the humour we moho guys have compared to the stickler, straight laced by the book trailer types........

It helps with the therapy and slows down the facial ticks.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:13 AM   #23
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post

The past couple of posts are prime examples of the humour we moho guys have compared to the stickler, straight laced by the book trailer types........

It helps with the therapy and slows down the facial ticks.

Cheers
Tony
Tony, you could not have said it any better...There is something about Moho folks that makes it all worth it. Never seen any of the personal attacks, you frequently see on the trailer side. But it may have to do with not wanting to burn any bridges when and not if your next breakdown happens
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:02 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Not to offend but, I dont think you'll ever see a thread on the Classic Motorhome forum with 100 posts debating which is the "cutest coffee maker". different priorities I suppose. Threads like that, and there are many, DO crack me up though. Absolutely nothing wrong with them, lord knows I love my coffee, usually with a smidge of 90w gear oil.

Mike
Keep smilin
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:20 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with them, lord knows I love my coffee, usually with a smidge of 90w gear oil.

Mike
Keep smilin

Man! That would get the mail moving!
Old 08-22-2015, 12:30 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Mo Ho Drivers, Travel Trailer "types" and Fiver owners ... So many "classes" of RVers... Just like the "classes of society, I guess RVing is a reflection of society... Mo Ho Drivers are no more special than a disabled combat vet or are they? Hmmm...

"Easy-6" out...
Easyrider06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
When we had our Interstate it was my daily driver. Worked just fine and gave me a quiet place for lunch. Wish I still had it.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider06 View Post
Mo Ho Drivers, Travel Trailer "types" and Fiver owners ... So many "classes" of RVers... Just like the "classes of society, I guess RVing is a reflection of society... Mo Ho Drivers are no more special than a disabled combat vet or are they? Hmmm...

"Easy-6" out...

As a Motorhome owner, and a previous trailer owner, I personally have no view on "Class", its just a personal preference.
As discussed, they both have their advantages and disadvantages and we love them both!
Having rubbed shoulders and shared beers with Millionaire rig owners and retiree's who could not afford to live any other way, its been refreshing how Airstreams are viewed on the road. Everyone I have meet thinks they are "Cool", and everyone wants one... but they have their issues, and I am open and honest about them in conversation.
In fact, it a great leveler... I have seen people sell everything and downsize to a trailer or motorhome and get back to what is important... Living.

Also kinda baffled by your comment about "Disabled Combat Vet's", easy-6...
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
As a Motorhome owner, and a previous trailer owner, I personally have no view on "Class", its just a personal preference.

I like to think that I have a lot of class! It's all low, but ah have lots of it.

I get comments on the classic all the time. Most think they are really cool. Even the owner of the Prevost that that cost more that my motorhome, house, cars, and 401k came over to check it out.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:

"Easy-6" out...

Huh????
Old 08-22-2015, 05:30 PM   #31
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:

"Easy-6" out...
As a combat vet, (although not physically disabled, mentally is a whole another sticky wicket) Falklands 82 at just 17, two tours Ireland, a couple in Oman against the precursor to Al Qaeda and a couple in Belize against Guatemalan thugs and paramilitary wannabes, all before the ripe old age of 22 when I mustered out; I haven't got a clue what you meant.

The greatest disability I have is my wifes navigation capabilities. Today she told a friend of Salvation Mountain which she thought was in Arkansas, or was that Alabama, no wait, Arizona which is near Arkansas, right? I googled it.....it's in California.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 08-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
I think you nailed it Streamquest!
Airstream trailers are cool.
Airstream Motorhomes have that plus rarity factor times 10 or even 100.
Sure, maintenance will be a factor. Things go wrong, and wear out. It's like owning a classic car and an older home rolled into one. I don't think there are many of us here who don't do our own fixing!
My limited experience of driving mine so far has proven interesting.
Driving down the road you get vehicles following you, thumbs ups, phones are out snapping pics, and big smiles. Stop or pull into a campsite and its your doorbell that is ringing(if it works!)... Not the $1m rig in the next slot.
Keyair simplified part of the choices: buy a classic moho is like buying a classic car for the mechanicals: regardless of miles there's the wear and tear of age, probably more with the "motor" half than the "home" half.

Our moho is not the attention-getter that most folks have here, but I was not going to dive into a major maintenance and repair mode again, so we looked at mechanicals carefully when buying. We lost the cool-looking aspect but we have a nice second home as well as a bug-out vehicle when the NorCal earthquake happens.

We've used my commute cars, a Honda Insight, now a BMW 318ti as toads-on-a-dolly, about to switch to nice Mini Cooper Clubman so we can tool around at our destinations.

OTOH I can see the preference of many folks for a TV and trailer: at the last NorCal gathering I attended there were only 2 mohos, and no classics.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Though I still haven't found my unicorn (1995 Airstream Classic Diesel Pusher) I'm very happy with my 00 Land Yacht XC Diesel. I'll just get this out of the way first, if you are going to go Class A...go diesel, you'll just have diesel envy if you don't and eventually upgrade anyways so I try to save new buyers a few grand in depreciation and lowball trade-in numbers. Second, I'm just repeating what someone I know already posted...if it's just going to sit somewhere most of the time, I wouldn't bother with anything motored at all...they need to be run and the older they get the more they need to be ran (their the Benjamin Button's of RV's...the older they get the more attention and money they start needing). But, if you're like me, and the journey is just as important as the destination (and I usually do multi-destination trips) then Class A, B, C is definitely the way to go. Interstates are pretty awesome, but not for more than two people...three at the most for a very short weekend trip. Class C's...eh, personally I don't trust the construction on B+'s and C's...though with Airstream it doesn't matter what year/model you pick the construction is half of the reason they cost so damn much compared to other brands.
I don't even have the typical aluminum bullet Airstream and I still get lots of attention at RV parks from everyone...it's just not often people come across Airstream mono's these days (save Interstates...I'm seeing those everywhere lately, which is awesome for AS but I really REALLY which they'd start making Class A diesels again....even if there isn't really a market for them...it's an Airstream, ergo, repeat customers. =)
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:03 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have found that most systems go bad as a function of time as opposed to miles. In fact, a lot of systems like the fuel system and brake system go bad much faster sitting. Ethanol in gas makes fuel systems go south in just a few weeks especially carbureted motors that have metal tanks and different metals that corrode with ethanol. So if you have a gas engine, you better drive it about once a week.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:00 PM   #35
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Not to offend but, I dont think you'll ever see a thread on the Classic Motorhome forum with 100 posts debating which is the "cutest coffee maker". different priorities I suppose. Threads like that, and there are many, DO crack me up though. Absolutely nothing wrong with them, lord knows I love my coffee, usually with a smidge of 90w gear oil.

Mike
Keep smilin
Mike

When you posted this I got a chuckle thinking you were all tongue in cheek and all, but lo and behold.....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...er-132587.html

You weren't pulling my leg.

PS 90w gear oil......is that what you midwestern boys call JD.

Cheers
Tony

Old 08-24-2015, 06:07 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
nope that's old #7!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:35 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Nope..... Its all good but.........you cant make this stuff up!!!
Old 08-24-2015, 10:08 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
As a point if reference... My son bought a 1988 Mercedes 300te in 2006. It had 64k miles on it. He loves that car... Built the same year I was he says. Now it has 160k on it. And it has served him well. The paint is peeling off, every single bushing and rubber component in the suspension and brakes has failed or looked ready to fail and has been replaced. The transmission, ac compressor, HVAC system, radiator, waterpump, 2 head gaskets, have been replaced, and 4 sets of tires and brakes. He has kept a meticulous record of his work and costs which he/we have done 99% of the work, and he recently stated that he recons he is at about $15000. Sounds a lot until you realize its $1500/year or just over $100/month. He estimates the engine has another 150k life in it, and he says he will never sell it as it is a part of him.
Airstreams were not built like Mercedes of that era were, so I expect to replace all of the same components in my ownership... And the plan is to do a better quality job every step of the way where possible so it might not need doing again. Like replacing rubber heater hose with silicon hose will help cut repeat work.

I guess the phrase that springs to mind when we are discussing this MH vs TT issue is this:
Don't PAY the price.... ENJOY the price.
5 years on, I am still remembering very well my maiden voyage from KS to CA... The waves, the looks and thumbs up... The rain streaming over and off the windshield... My buddy relaxing on the couch with his feet up and cold beers from the fridge... My girlfriend listened to him recount the memory as she was unable to come that week, and was envious and excited to do the same one day.
Airstream travel trailers are awesome..... I want one too, but for me, the MH is the bong!

I plan to and already have plenty of "Swear Equity" in mine!
Love that saying Kota!
Old 08-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Henniker , New Hampshire
My two cents worth: My 310 blew the motor 950 miles away from home. I dragged it home and removed the motor out in my driveway because it doesn't fit in my garage. I still love it, even after all the drama and expense. Can't wait to get it running again so I can get out camping in it! I'm sure having a trailer is nice, but I am hooked on my MH.
chiefair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:36 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefair View Post
My two cents worth: My 310 blew the motor 950 miles away from home. I dragged it home and removed the motor out in my driveway because it doesn't fit in my garage. I still love it, even after all the drama and expense. Can't wait to get it running again so I can get out camping in it! I'm sure having a trailer is nice, but I am hooked on my MH.
Got any pictures of the engine removal operation?!
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote