Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Burned 310 classic moho - questions

Thanks to Vaughan, who spotted it near where he lives and alerted us to it, I ran out and looked at a 1982 310 classic moho not too far from us. Vaughan had said it was pretty much a write-off due to a fire, but I was hoping there would be something useable. We were hoping to maybe be able to acquire it, or at least get things off of it like windshields for ours, and I thought I would have a look-see.

It's a write-off.

I spoke to the owner, and he said it looked like an insurance fraud case. He bought it as salvage from the insurance company. He said the 454 engine was blown and his opinion is that someone then took it alongside the highway and torched it. He said he was interested in fixing it back up since he heard they sell for lots of money, and all he needed was "two panels and some interior," and he didn't want to part it out unless we bought a substantial amount of stuff off of it, because of that.

Hoo boy. Pictures follow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	R side rear from back.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	55032 Click image for larger version

Name:	R side front.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	55033

Name:	Looking in dinette window - kitchen.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	55034 Click image for larger version

Name:	Looking in L bedroom window.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	55036

Name:	Looking in front pass window - dash.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	55035 Click image for larger version

Name:	Skin damage over R rear wheel.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	55037

I could have cried. Who could have set this beautiful thing on fire??? The greatest skin damage (hottest on the inside) looks to be directly over the passenger rear wheel (last picture), but there was no damage I could see that would have been consistent with the brakes catching on fire or a tire blowing out and wiping out a gas line or something. The interior is COMPLETELY shot, except for the bed platform and the bottom side of the mattress (it was standing up inside it). I could not go in (nor would I have, but it would have been nice to open the door and look) since there was a truck parked about 4 inches from the door, but I got shots through the broken windows.

That leads to my questions:

1) The rear windows and unbroken side windows were smoke-blackened but not broken, cracked or crazed (the front windshields were cracked ). Would the glass be damaged by being near the heat of the fire--would it make it more brittle or anything? Would there be any reason for us not to try to get them?

2) We are also interested in the upper rear end panels, since ours has a big dent on the rear right--same question for their integrity, since they were near the fire and heat--would it be worth it for us to try to get them? The one we need most has a marker light with the plastic cover damaged due to the heat, so I was worried about the integrity of the panel.

3) I am assuming the a/c units would be toast after being subjected to the intense heat and smoke. I am sure any seals or gaskets would be melted, if nothing else. What do you think?

There are quite a few other things we would be interested in, like the taillight housings, the undamaged banana wraps, the antenna, steering parts, marker lights, spare tire cover, etc., which would have not been affected by the fire.

Amazingly, the one thing that remained inside that did not appear to be fire-damaged was the plastic filter canister for the central vac! It must have been under the bed or something, and someone pulled it out after the fire. I will try to get that, too.

I appreciate your knowledge regarding my above questions!

Thanks!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
Susan,
I'd say stand back and watch the other fellow make his "simple repairs", then "sell it for a fortune". The guy has his mind made up right now. Sad? Yes. Worth worrying over? Nope. Walk away. Check back in a few months and his attitude will have improved.
Happy Trails!
John/N2XBW
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Susan, I would counsel patience as well. You may well get the whole thing for a song, and it won't be one of the top ten, either.
Depending on where it is located, that area is where the fridge is usually located, and the infamous Dometic recall fridge may have claimed a victim.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Terry, would the fridge have been in the same place in all the 310 mohos? Ours is immediately left of the entry door, which is several feet from the rear tire. One of our bedroom closets is directly above our rear tire.

Susan

Old 02-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
Terry, would the fridge have been in the same place in all the 310 mohos? Ours is immediately left of the entry door, which is several feet from the rear tire. One of our bedroom closets is directly above our rear tire.

Susan
Yes, it should be in almost the same place, give or take a foot.
If the fire started in a closet, I might be more inclined to think "teenagers trying to hide while smoking," or "arson".
Old 02-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Everyone's got an opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
... the infamous Dometic recall fridge may have claimed a victim.
With a blown engine.

I think something else caused this fire.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
With a blown engine.

I think something else caused this fire.

Tom
Giving the benefit of the doubt, but Susan affirmed the fridge is not in the most consumed area, so it would probably rule the fridge out as a cause.
A more likely scenario is the engine blew, they owner found out how much a new engine cost, and some rags in the closet caught fire...
Old 02-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
That is what the current owner was thinking, and I agree (at this point--judgement reserved for when I ever get inside the thing).

Susan

Old 02-24-2008, 05:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
Susan,
Since the new owner is now an Airstream owner....
Why not invite him to join this forum?

Happy Trails
John / N2XBW
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Troubled 310

Quote:
He said he was interested in fixing it back up since he heard they sell for lots of money, and all he needed was "two panels and some interior," and he didn't want to part it out unless we bought a substantial amount of stuff off of it, because of that.

That leads to my questions:

1) The rear windows and unbroken side windows were smoke-blackened but not broken, cracked or crazed (the front windshields were cracked ). Would the glass be damaged by being near the heat of the fire--would it make it more brittle or anything? Would there be any reason for us not to try to get them?
Hi Susan,

I thought about the glass when I said I thought there was no “there,” there. The glass is, after all, made with heat. Additionally, tempered glass is heat treated to create it. You could think of it as extra tempered glass. My concern is whatever is put between the 2 layers when the double-glazing is assembled. Might cleanup ok, but would not be my first choice for a donor.
Quote:
2) We are also interested in the upper rear end panels, since ours has a big dent on the rear right--same question for their integrity, since they were near the fire and heat--would it be worth it for us to try to get them? The one we need most has a marker light with the plastic cover damaged due to the heat, so I was worried about the integrity of the panel.
Aluminum is also heat created. If they look good, I’ll bet they would be ok.
Quote:
3) I am assuming the a/c units would be toast after being subjected to the intense heat and smoke. I am sure any seals or gaskets would be melted, if nothing else. What do you think?
I don’t think I want to spend any time in any trailer or motorhome that has ACs that have been in a fire. I think it would always be a case of “Who burned the plastic they were barbecuing for supper?” Given the amount of work it is to change the roof ACs, I am not going to do that with anything less than new.
Quote:
There are quite a few other things we would be interested in, like the taillight housings, the undamaged banana wraps, the antenna, steering parts, marker lights, spare tire cover, etc., which would have not been affected by the fire.
One project that I haven’t discussed is still another LED conversion. After ordering LED marker lights online, 5 red and 4 amber for the Excella I got a real disappointment. I ordered red lenses with red LEDs and amber lenses with amber LEDs. I got clear lenses which showed the green circuit boards. Really ugly! The company (mods, should I refrain from mentioning their name? I hate to “flame” anyone, but this was the worst purchasing experience I have ever had) tried to call my work number once on a weekend and has since ignored me. All I wanted to do was exchange them.

To get to the point about this, I found replacement lenses at NAPA for $1.33 each (lens only). They also had LED versions. Stuff like that can often be found new locally without much trouble.

My biggest concern is that the guy that has it will probably be content to sit on it forever, given everything else he has.

Since everyone hasn’t seen it, this appears to be the “elephant graveyard” of 55-57 Chevy’s. They have no glass and are reverting to mother earth. Also a few other 50s hulks. Very little in decent condition. The 310 is one of the better pieces.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Wow, Vaughan, thanks for all of the great info! I knew the glass was heat-tempered, but was worried that additional intense heat might make it brittle or something. Same with the aluminum. It's good to know it is probably still useable.

That is pathetic about the LEDs you ordered! Thankfully you found lenses, but it's not fun adding an additional cost to the total amount you thought you would be spending.

And yes, I am afraid he will sit on it forever if he doesn't get what he wants out of it. I have known too many people like that, who will allow their wheeled "assets" to turn into ferrous oxide and revert to earth while asserting that they are worth thousands of times more than they really are. Just amazing. Then their heirs have a big mess to deal with.

Oh well. He saved my phone number and all I can do is wait.

Susan

Old 02-27-2008, 01:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
That is pathetic about the LEDs you ordered! Thankfully you found lenses, but it's not fun adding an additional cost to the total amount you thought you would be spending.
Hi Susan,

I'm just glad they were as inexpensive as they were.