Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #341
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
A few items purchased lately. Belt line trim piece for entry door on Airstream. Plus found this NEAT clock since original Hamilton click was MIA at time of purchase.
Found out that insurance settlement from accident with drunk driver is arriving SOON, so 8 new tires and 2 new A/C's are on horizon! Read today in Motorhome magazine about a system Raveson has that allows running both A/C's is available. Maybe that is a purchase as well.
Thanks Derek
Glad to hear you are getting the $$ to get some rubber on the MoHo!! Momma needs new shoes!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #342
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Most definitely, 11 and 12 yr old tires are ONLY reason I'm not camping. I'm not about to risk a blowout.
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #343
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
12 year old tires and complete lack of $ for replacements are why the Airstream hasn't been anywhere for over a year.
So, lets get some new shoes and go for a camping trip!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #344
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
A few items purchased lately. Belt line trim piece for entry door on Airstream. Plus found this NEAT clock since original Hamilton click was MIA at time of purchase.
Found out that insurance settlement from accident with drunk driver is arriving SOON, so 8 new tires and 2 new A/C's are on horizon! Read today in Motorhome magazine about a system Raveson has that allows running both A/C's is available. Maybe that is a purchase as well.
Thanks Derek
You're just that much closer to a trip to Yosemite next year Derek!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #345
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
You're just that much closer to a trip to Yosemite next year Derek!
Dean,
I just hope I'm able to do Yosemite next year!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #346
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
12 year old tires and complete lack of $ for replacements are why the Airstream hasn't been anywhere for over a year.
So, lets get some new shoes and go for a camping trip!
Come on up to MoHos in May! Ours is gutted and will be acting as an aluminum tent!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #347
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Good news Derek!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #348
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Thanks Derek
Oh boy! Here we go. Can I open the can of worms? Oh what the heck! Now Derek, what kind of tires are you going to get. Too bad Good year doesn't make Marathons that size. Lol. Jk.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #349
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Honestly Jk,
Since there is a good chance whatever I put on the Airstream will be 'holding' it up for the next 8 years, without any long distance trips planned in the next 8 years, I'm going with Coopers. Got a price of $183.00, plus installation and balancing. I know, I know, they're gonna be Chinese made, but for the purpose, they will be perfect. There are LOTS of areas close by should I chose to make some at the moment camping trips. Heck, I've got Fort DeSoto within 10 miles of my home (one of the top ten beaches in the world) so why now enjoy what's close until I've got this beast all paid off!
As well, since it appears insurance settlement is on it's way this week, I'm looking at new A/C units. Looks like RVPartsCountry.com has the best price for a Dometic unit. No, it's not that new ultra-low profile unit, but for the price, can't beat it, and as long as it cools down the Airstream until retirement. My 24 year old units are in good shape, who knows, I may replace the capacitors, charge them back up with Freon and sell them.....lol
Derek
Old 04-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #350
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Honestly Jk,
Since there is a good chance whatever I put on the Airstream will be 'holding' it up for the next 8 years, without any long distance trips planned in the next 8 years, I'm going with Coopers. Got a price of $183.00, plus installation and balancing. I know, I know, they're gonna be Chinese made, but for the purpose, they will be perfect. There are LOTS of areas close by should I chose to make some at the moment camping trips. Heck, I've got Fort DeSoto within 10 miles of my home (one of the top ten beaches in the world) so why now enjoy what's close until I've got this beast all paid off!
As well, since it appears insurance settlement is on it's way this week, I'm looking at new A/C units. Looks like RVPartsCountry.com has the best price for a Dometic unit. No, it's not that new ultra-low profile unit, but for the price, can't beat it, and as long as it cools down the Airstream until retirement. My 24 year old units are in good shape, who knows, I may replace the capacitors, charge them back up with Freon and sell them.....lol
Derek
I could be wrong but I don't think you can charge the older units. However your plan for low cost tires and staying local does make sense. Although I would still change them out as required especially since you are going cheaper low end.

Been thinking of having next years MoHos in May in the Pensacola area and do it as part of our yearly vacation. Also get all those big beautiful beast from the great state of Florida there!
Old 04-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #351
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Progress

Ok,
Sometimes an extra set of hands as well as extra brain cells can speed up the progress!
Now that my brother lives within 30 minutes (instead of 3 states away) I was able to 'recruit' him this past week for a few projects, the most important one being getting the Isolator installed in the Airstream.
With a bit of luck, moving a couple of ground wires, we were able to get new 200 amp Isolator installed in same spot as original Isolator, without any other modifications required. Now that I look at the wiring, I'm really considering changing it all out, just to be sure I've got a good heavy gauge copper wire to the battery tray and from alternator to Isolator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	072.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	184467  
Old 04-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #352
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post

I could be wrong but I don't think you can charge the older units. However your plan for low cost tires and staying local does make sense. Although I would still change them out as required especially since you are going cheaper low end.

Been thinking of having next years MoHos in May in the Pensacola area and do it as part of our yearly vacation. Also get all those big beautiful beast from the great state of Florida there!
A refrigeration person can. Done it on 5 different ones of mine. They have to know what to do. They work like new again. FYI.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:47 AM   #353
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtle lynn View Post
A refrigeration person can. Done it on 5 different ones of mine. They have to know what to do. They work like new again. FYI.
Thanks! Good to know!!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #354
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
A day off! Overcast, perfect weather to strip the roof!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2327805964.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	493.4 KB
ID:	184755   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3929325743.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	433.4 KB
ID:	184756  

Old 05-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #355
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
A day off! Overcast, perfect weather to strip the roof!
What are you going to coat the roof with? Or are you polishing?
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #356
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Plans are to use white thermal roofing paint.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #357
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Finally!

Some of you may be aware of my run-in with Drunk Driver last year. Well, settlement check finally arrived this week.
Sat down and checked every option as far as a 15000BTU A/C unit. Best price was for a Dometic Duo Therm Brisk Air. Yes, these suckers are TALL!, but for the price, I got two units for just over $1100.00 with shipping! Figure that I can live with these big monsters until I retire. Maybe by then, the new 8" tall units will be a bit more reasonably priced.
As well, decided that the "Kool-O-Matic" in the kitchen area needed to be ditched. Thing is a MONSTER and boy, does it seem to drain my coach batteries in a hurry.
Again, checked every place available, and decided to go with a Fantastic Fan 6000 unit. Have same unit in bedroom, and really like the thermostat and rain sensor. Looking forward to having a way to allow some light in through the ceiling area as well.
Now, I've got to get the Isolator hooked up and drive the beast to the local tire dealer for some new tires!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fantastic Fan 6000RBTA.GIF
Views:	101
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	184769  
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #358
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
CitriStrip and gray roofing paint

Nope, CitriStrip barely touched this tar based roofing paint. It removes just a bit at a time, so, broke down and found some Aircraft Stripper. Should be able to get at it over the weekend if the weather holds up here in West Central Florida!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stripper.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	184798  
Old 05-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #359
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Eternabond

Ok,
So I'm up on the roof a LOT this past week. CitriStrip didn't do exactly what I hoped. Aircraft Stripper arrived yesterday, but plans today only allowed for a test patch.
While up on the roof, I'm noticing that practically all of the seams along the sides and ends (front and back) have been gooped up with what I'm hoping is Vulkem. Sun here in Florida has done a number on the gooped up Vulkem.
Saw where someone has used this on their Avion 5th wheel.
Wondering, has anyone else used this or a product similar? Found the 2nd product at Home Depot. Guess I'll have to check with local Mobile Home parts supply house (plenty of those here in Florida) to see if I can find Eternabond locally.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Derek
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Eternabond.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	185209  
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #360
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Hey Derek,

I've used a stripper by Jasco (from Lowes I think) that was pretty aggressive. In some cases it took a number of applications to get through different sealants and caulkings. You have to keep laying it on in order to soften a lot of that stuff. Occasionally I found that gasoline or lacquer thinner did the trick. A plastic scraper is helpful, other times (on the roof in particular where no one will ever notice) I had pretty good luck with a vibrating multi-tool by Feine. It will leave some scratches, but the thing works like crazy. When you get around to removing your old A/C units that tool can come in really handy. Its great for cutting in between "layers" of connected materials. With the proper blade attached, it will easily cut through rivets and screws. When on the roof, I found that half sheets of plywood on top of foam padding provided a pretty good working platform.

.... By the way, did you succumb to the dark side and buy that old trailer, or did you dodge the bullet? You can be honest with me, I'm surrounded by old trailers. I'll understand completely.
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote