Old 08-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #141
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Angry 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Well it's been a while folks, we have been in NM without Internet so I'll give you the update on the Silver Hornet. Everything has been A OK until we came in and found we had struck water from somewhere under the kitchen cabinet. Not Good!! We had soaked carpet, throw rugs, and carpet pad with plenty of water. After getting up the water with a wet/dry vac the culprit was discovered. Apparently, someone at sometime in the past had replaced the water heater. Instead of making the proper connections with Pex the connections at the water heater were made with rubber hose and hose clamps. I suppose that would have been OK if I could have seen the worm-gear clamps and tightened them up when we got the unit, but they were obscured by insulation and duct tape. As all hose connections are subject to loosening with time, these did too, and along with water pressure and the hot water one blew off and we ended up with about 15 gallons of hot water pumped inside the Silver Hornet. So we vac up the water and dry everything out plus put a serious tightening job on those clamps. OK now, until the next vintage repair is needed.
Mike

Old 08-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #142

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Wow, all the things you have had to deal with! So I gather that you would suggest PEX for anyone doing plumbing work in their moho/tt?

Old 08-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #143
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Smile 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

I think any repair should be done OEM unless there is better quality available. The hacker who did the water heater on my rig was too lazy to do it right with the Pex. Ugh! Still chaps me off, peeps that do get by repairs.
Mike
Old 08-24-2010, 01:32 AM   #144
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Mike,
I had exactly the same happpen to me on the Maiden Journey!
Due to the unusual layout of my 345 the water heater is in the large closet opposite the kitchen, but the same as you... suddenly wet carpets etc.I had to rip out all of the boxing behind it... it was all wet and the carpet too, so I didnt care. Mine was due to a pipe not being long enough to fit the replacement heater and so it didnt/wouldnt tighten.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:07 AM   #145
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Mike,
Your experience is my valuable lesson for the day...thanks for sharing a potential nightmare...mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #146
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas

Thanks for the encouragement guys, nice to know I'm not the only one who had the flood from bad technician karma. Hope it doesn't happen again. One thing for sure, we don't leave the water pump turned on while we are gone. Still learning about vintage equipment.

Mike
Old 08-30-2010, 08:28 AM   #147
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
I sure hear you about slipshod plumbing repairs!

I tried vinyl tubing and hose clamps to connect the new toilet in our '83 310. They failed. So yesterday I got pex CTS fittings and am putting in a new supply line. The tubing clamps would start to leak and then tightening them risked breaking the 27 year old elbows from the original fittings.

Another good '83 camper event: The original pex running from the fresh water tank to the kitchen had sprung a tiny leak where it was clamped to the sidewall. Fortunately this was located behind the closet drawer where it could be reached.

I'm really happy so far with the CTS "shark bite" fittings for pex installations--the crimper is unwieldy and expensive to use. Also you can get the 1/2 and 3/8 inch stuff from the hardware store.

The lucky thing for us is that our failed ignition module, leaking front air bags and water leaks all happened while we were parked at home.

Needless to say, we are watching your progress with great interest; thanks for keeping everyone posted!

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #148
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas

Hi Everyone:
Just returned from New Mexico in the Silver Hornet, and without incident! Lots of difference in temp here in Lubbock. In the morning in Ute Park you had to get up and build a fire in the wood stove to break the chill. Here it is very nice early.

No problems returning to Texas with the Silver Hornet for which I'm thankful. I am planning to remove the A/C pushbuttons from the dash and get the temp control cable operable for winter ops. Any advice would be appreciated. BTW, does anyone have the wiring diagram for the A/C unit and switch?? I need to trouble shoot why the A/C clutch is not engaging and I do not have the wiring diagram. If you have one, please PDF it to me. I would like to buy a servicable 1984 Chevrolet Truck Repair Manual if you want to sell let me know.

Best to everyone
Mike P
Old 10-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #149
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Push Button HAC, Dash Air, Airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpro View Post
Hi Everyone:
Just returned from New Mexico in the Silver Hornet, and without incident! Lots of difference in temp here in Lubbock. In the morning in Ute Park you had to get up and build a fire in the wood stove to break the chill. Here it is very nice early.

No problems returning to Texas with the Silver Hornet for which I'm thankful. I am planning to remove the A/C pushbuttons from the dash and get the temp control cable operable for winter ops. Any advice would be appreciated. BTW, does anyone have the wiring diagram for the A/C unit and switch?? I need to trouble shoot why the A/C clutch is not engaging and I do not have the wiring diagram. If you have one, please PDF it to me. I would like to buy a servicable 1984 Chevrolet Truck Repair Manual if you want to sell let me know.

Best to everyone
Mike P
Mike

Is your push buttons similar to these on the Clipper Pusher?
If so, what usually breaks is the plastic retainer that holds the cable straight, resulting in the cable binding and not opening or closing the heat door all the way.
The push button assembly is available new on line, but is common in the junk yard on 70's - 80's Dodge vans. You will need the AC model if thats what the problem is. The Push Buttons part can be removed/installed in the replacement retainer assembly if required, as the cable is routed differently on some models.
Again, if yours is the same, the vacume lines on the back may come loose and not activate the controls.
The AC clutch should engage if the cold button is in and all other connections are working.
Another angle is to install a spring assist at the heat door end to help keep the cable from binding in the push mode.

Good luck
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7798.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	113215  
Old 10-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #150
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Thumbs up 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Masseyfarm:
Yep my switch is just like the one you pictured on your Clipper. Haven't gotten into it yet, but I will soon. Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks
Mike
Old 10-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #151
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
Mine is not working either, but mine is connected to a valve on the curb side in the front hatch, to the left of the radiator. I use my wife's Leatherman to adjust it when we need warm air.
As for the AC, mine is not working either. I checked the high and low pressure sides of the compressor, added 134a and still would not come on. I found the problem to be in the sensor below the antifreeze reservoir. If you complete that circuit and the compressor comes on, then you know it is your pressure switch. If you check the pressure and find it to be correct then it is just a bad switch. If not, it could be your compressor or expansion valve etc.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #152
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Thumbs up 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Thanks for the heads-up on the A/C. Maybe I can get it doped out to use until I get an opportunity to get it back to OEM specs. Found a wrecking yard with several vans to get a good used switch and pushbuttons to fit on the Silver Hornet. Now if I can get the cable controlled valve freed up life will be good.
Mike
Old 11-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #153
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Angry 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Well, the Doctors have won. Due to health limitations for both me and my wife, we are going to have to quit the road and sell the Silver Hornet. Just a few more details and I would have finished the project. If you know of someone looking for a road ready 310 Classic, let me know. I have put over $15000 in our unit, so someone will get to enjoy many miles with no repairs needed. Looks like we'll be spending time at home, whether we want to or not.
Thanks,
KMP
Old 11-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #154
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Wow, that sucks....
Get well, and hope things go better!