Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1992 30' Airstream 30
topanga , California
92 300 MH Can't find Leveller Solenoid and Tank

I'm trying to bleed back the 2 rear levellers (broken springs) and understand I must first undo the Ts at the solenoids. Where are they on the coach? I can't find 'em.
andyleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
You should not have to loosen anything. Just put your control levers in "Retract". This will relieve the trapped fluid to the levelers. Then you can manually retract them by hand.
The pump and reservoir on our 345 are located in the engine bay just above the transmission. Take your engine cover off inside the coach, and look on the bulkhead just aft of the opening. (Where you would kneel between the front seats)
The springs are available new, and the vertical position of each leveler is adjustable.
Rob
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1992 30' Airstream 30
topanga , California
92 300le

O.K. Rear leveling pistons retracted with a come-a-long by opening return line at piston. Lost maybe a cup a side. Repaired springs (heated broken ends and bent) reinstalled using come-a-long hooked to a bracket under the chassis and to the assembled spring setup. Stretched them out and levered both springs over the curved spring guides. 10 min per side.

All levelers work fine except I'm now low on fluid. Third exploration chasing the lines reveals an undercoated black plastic cover about the size of a small cooler mounted to the rear wall of the front passenger's side wheel well. If you lean over the engine opening inside and put the flashlight way over to the side you can see the hoses disappearing into the corner. Nothing visible from the front underneath. No access from above or front I can see. Nothing in my manual. Does Airstream REALLY want me to jack the rig up, remove the front wheel, and remove this box just to add fluid? Really?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
if yours is set up like it sounds, after adding fluid you get to put the wheel back on, let it down and hope the fluid level is correct.
sounds similar to what i go through to change spark plugs on the 345.
labor of love.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
You could just use a rubber hose and funnel, disconect one of the lines at the control valve slip your hose on and hold the funnel hi! It will take some time but less then removing half the front of your 345.
josh
AirRowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1992 30' Airstream 30
topanga , California
O.K. On '92 300LE I followed the hoses from levelers to plastic cover in the rear of passenger's front wheel well. Removed cover and found.....the control rack and valves....no reservoir or pump. The hoses take off from there and go across the rear of the engine bay in a bundle into the same place on the driver's side. went over to the driver's side, pulled the wheel and the plastic cover and...bingo. Reservoir and pump are basically under the bolt pad of the driver's seat pedestal, totally inaccessable from above. Reservoir has a tiny dipstick on the filler bolt, but basically it looks like it wants to be almost full.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Be sure that all of your jacks are fully retracted when adding fluid.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote