Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2019, 02:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Water side : getting ready for winter and upgrades

I blew out all the water again using the compressor method.
I used a total of 1/2 jug of the trailer anti-freeze. I poured it into each of the traps plus the toilette

this year i decide to make it easier to remove my dual high water filter and the pump. I install dual union connectors , one on each side on the water filter
that will make it very easy to re install them next spring

I also removed the water pump and replaced it with the quiter shure-flow model.
As did not follow the OEM spec. thus they tie the pump to the PEX directly. that is a NO -NO

I added(not shown) 18" of flex hose to each end. That also makes it easier to disconnect in the fall . i also added bullet plugs to the pump so that i can easily removed the power in the fall
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dual HIGh flow volume carbon and partculate water filter.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	355959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Female union connect on AS side.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	355960  

Name:	Male union connect on filter side.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	355961   Click image for larger version

Name:	new water pump with Bullet power connector.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	355962  

waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:13 PM   #2
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Looks like yer on top of things and I admire ya for it! Always behind the curve due to other obligations.. thanks for the ideas and post for future reference!

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i am also going to change the output of the pump.

during spring 2020 , it will go through a 1way check valve and T into the supply before the dual high flow water filters.

the outside water supply will also have a 1 way check valve as the two supplies will meet at a T and then only allow water flow into the water filters.

thus no back from out to water pump or vice versa
Old 11-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
this is the schematic on the new water setup.
the union connector are for winter disconnect
the check value are to ensure water does not cross contaminate

both the water filters and the water pump come out each winter
minimal antifreeze is used, just in traps and the toilet
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new water setup-v2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	356037  
Old 11-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I just got back from the storage area after performing my first winterizing in nearly 6 years of Airstream ownership. It isn't necessary in central Florida and this is the first time we have been out of FL on a trip when really cold weather is scheduled to hit. It should go below freezing tonight and not warm up to above freezing until Wednesday or Thursday. I ordered a winterizing valve kit but it won't get here until too late.

This is what I did:

1. Drain the water heater and put it in bypass.
2. Open the low point drains, and then closed them.
3. Small air compressor into the city water input. I let the pressure build up to around 50 psi and then opened and closed each hot and cold faucet, the shower, the toilet and toilet spray one at a time repeatedly until only a few drops came out.
4. Open low point drains again to ensure all the water was out.

I hope that is good enough.

I didn't have to drain the fresh water tank. Fate did that for me. At the close of rally before last I noticed my fresh water tank was empty. I thought it odd, but figured we had used that much water while at the Carolina balloon festival and traveling. When I tried to fill it, water came out of an access panel under the drain valve. Today I found out why. There was only about 1/2" gap between the barb fitting screwed into the tank and the barb fitting on the back of the drain valve. There was about 1/4" offset between the two fittings and the piece of clear plastic hose had failed. When I pulled the access panel bits of wet masking tape with some white goop on it fell out. It looks like someone tried to fix the cracked hose in the past with sealant held in place with masking tape until it set up. Another item for the fix-it list.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:17 AM   #6
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I just got back from the storage area after performing my first winterizing in nearly 6 years of Airstream ownership. It isn't necessary in central Florida and this is the first time we have been out of FL on a trip when really cold weather is scheduled to hit. It should go below freezing tonight and not warm up to above freezing until Wednesday or Thursday. I ordered a winterizing valve kit but it won't get here until too late.

This is what I did:

1. Drain the water heater and put it in bypass.
2. Open the low point drains, and then closed them.
3. Small air compressor into the city water input. I let the pressure build up to around 50 psi and then opened and closed each hot and cold faucet, the shower, the toilet and toilet spray one at a time repeatedly until only a few drops came out.
4. Open low point drains again to ensure all the water was out.

I hope that is good enough.

I didn't have to drain the fresh water tank. Fate did that for me. At the close of rally before last I noticed my fresh water tank was empty. I thought it odd, but figured we had used that much water while at the Carolina balloon festival and traveling. When I tried to fill it, water came out of an access panel under the drain valve. Today I found out why. There was only about 1/2" gap between the barb fitting screwed into the tank and the barb fitting on the back of the drain valve. There was about 1/4" offset between the two fittings and the piece of clear plastic hose had failed. When I pulled the access panel bits of wet masking tape with some white goop on it fell out. It looks like someone tried to fix the cracked hose in the past with sealant held in place with masking tape until it set up. Another item for the fix-it list.

Al
Did you temper the outside shower?

You can also use the compressed air to blow out the low point drains (one at a time).
Old 11-12-2019, 07:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Our 2002 Classic does not have an outside shower.

I did actually use the compressed air on the low point drains; I just didn’t make that clear.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote