Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Getting Ready For First Trip - Question About Water Tank Filling

This newbie is trying to get ready for her first trip. I've figured out how to fill fresh-water tank, where to stick the city water hose, where to stick the sewer hoses, how to turn most of the inside conveniences on etc.

Believe me, for a woman who has never RV'd before in her life, this is really something. I can only handle the Airstream manual a bit at a time -
I'm easily distracted and frustrated.

So many here are whizzes at this and are eager to help; I have a question: Do I have to fill my hot-water tank separately (I haven't seen any intake thingabobber) or does it fill itself up from the fresh-water tank or?........

Thanks so much. Whew!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Ensure that the hot water tank valves are open (manual should show you the location). Turn on the water pump. Open a hot water faucet until no air comes out. Tank is now filled.

Enjoy your trip.
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
nswhite, wow! Thanks. That was quick. So, I take it I have to fill my fresh-water tank first, and this feeds the hot-water tank?
Old 07-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
As stated above, the hot water tank will fill when you turn the pump on and open the faucet, assuming you have water in the fresh water tank, as the tank will draw from this source.

The alternative is to hook up the hose to the City Water inlet, and use this as the source, though you would still have to open the faucet. You would not turn on the pump in this configuration.

If you use the City Water connection, you should also use a water pressure regulator, just in case you missed this in the manual.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
The water to the sinks, shower and water heater all comes from the same place. If you have the trailer connected via a hose to a water source, the pressure of the water system you are connected to supplies the water and pressure to push the water through the pipes in your trailer. Just as if you are at home.

If you are not connected, and using water stored in your fresh water tank, the water pump takes the place of the pressure of the water mains.

Either way, to have hot water simply connect trailer via a hose and turn on the faucet suppling the water, or turn on the pump and then slightly open a hot water faucet in the trailer. This will allow the air in the water heater tank to escape as the incoming water replaces it. When you get all water and no air blasts from the faucet, the water heater is full and ready to use.

Then go have fun.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Don't forget to turn on the water heater switch in the head...
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
If you use the City Water connection, you should also use a water pressure regulator, just in case you missed this in the manual.
There is no need for a water pressure regulator as one is built into the city water connection. Forgot what year AS started doing that but all 21st century trailers have them.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

On the Road , Michigan
OK, another newbie with a related question.

Quote:
Either way, to have hot water simply connect trailer via a hose and turn on the faucet supplying the water, or turn on the pump and then slightly open a hot water faucet in the trailer. This will allow the air in the water heater tank to escape as the incoming water replaces it. When you get all water and no air blasts from the faucet, the water heater is full and ready to use.
What happens if we've done all that to fill the water heater, but there is still not much water pressure? When we use the pump we get great cold water pressure out of the faucets and shower, but a dribble of hot water. When we attach a hose from the house to the "city water", we get a bit better pressure, but not much.

When we followed the above steps, the air never really "blasted", more like an excited hiss. Now it doesn't sound like there's any air, but still not enough hot water pressure to take a comfortable shower.

By the way, we're in a 33' 1997 Land Yacht Motorhome.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks...
Old 07-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Not very clear in the manual

Fly:

Just so you know, I had to to call the PO on my trailer to figure out how to "fill" the hot water tank because the Airstream Manual either addresses that in such an obtuse manner or not at all that I had the exact same question.

Hope your first trip is a great one.

d
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazie_eddie View Post
OK, another newbie with a related question.

What happens if we've done all that to fill the water heater, but there is still not much water pressure? When we use the pump we get great cold water pressure out of the faucets and shower, but a dribble of hot water. When we attach a hose from the house to the "city water", we get a bit better pressure, but not much.

When we followed the above steps, the air never really "blasted", more like an excited hiss. Now it doesn't sound like there's any air, but still not enough hot water pressure to take a comfortable shower.

By the way, we're in a 33' 1997 Land Yacht Motorhome.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks...
You may have your hot water tank bypass valves enabled. These are 3 valves by the hot water tank. The two for the pipes going into and out of the tank should be open and the valve on the pipe connecting the in and out pipes should be closed.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
THANKS all, for your help! I think I've got it now.

FAN
Old 07-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
Always make sure hot water tank is full before turning on the heater. Otherwise you will ruin stuff!
mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you are having trouble bleeding air out of the hot water pipes, you can go to the heater and push the pressure valve lever to make sure all the air is out. DO NOT do this if the water heater is on or has been on recently, the water will be scalding.

You should use a pressure regulator on the water outlet at a campground. High water pressure at a CG can blow out a hose. Sometimes the CG will tell you if you need it, but sometimes they do not.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote