Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2004, 11:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Question Getting ready to get ready to think about an AS

Hi,

My husband and I are getting ready to get into the market for an older Airstream...getting closer to knowing what we want so we know what to look for before we buy. These forums have helped a LOT, both just reading them and folks who have answered. So we're not ready to buy quite yet.

We're also coming to an agreement on the length of the trailer, hubby and I, and we know we probably want the bathroom in the back of the trailer, and the length should be from 22' to 30'. The bathroom information is from other big airstreamers. He's a big guy and I don't want him squeezed in there, but with gas prices being what they are especially in California ($2.29 a gallon today) I also don't want it too big, I want to be able to afford to tow it. I also don't want more than we need.

We also sat down and realistically discussed what kind of condition it should be in, so we don't go in with totally different ideas, and we're both willing to settle for something with good bones that we can gut and redo at the worst, something in better shape than that if we can afford it. He's a general contractor and I'm willing to get my hands dirty and make the remodeling commitment. Looks like we're on the same page on that part.

So, we're making progress! We're going to go to a rally soon and hopefully look inside some models, and see what size/floorplan we "want" (I know we might end up with something totally different but that makes us happy, if it's there and it's The One). We're willing to do anything from the 50's, 60's, or 70's.

So here are my questions: Hubby says two axles is a must for towing. He grew up trailering (whatever that means). I know nothing about this whole trailering thing, it just looks like SO much fun, and AS's are so so cool. I'm not sure if DH is trying to push me to the 30' limit (He wants a house on wheels, I want a doghouse with a wagon handle, we're trying to meet in the middle). I'll listen to reason; is he right, or is it not really an issue, or does it depend on the model? Or what you use to tow?

and what about those ebay prices? There are a couple of 22' models from the late '50's that we could afford (but we're not buying yet, maybe after our tax return) but...is that the best place to buy? What would these models typically go for, on ebay right now they're less than 1k? Something tells me ebay isn't necessarily the best place to look...where do we start?

If you want to look, here are the item #'s for the trailers
1956 Airstream Safari 22' travel trailer Item number: 2472610080
1957 Airstream " Flying Cloud- 22' Long Item number: 2470738192
1958 Airstream Sovereign 30 ft Vintage Trailer Item number: 2472456365

Sorry for all these questions...
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 11:50 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think eBay is not the best place to buy. You definitly want to take a look at anything you buy in person first. Then you might get caught in a bidding war and end up paying more than you want to. I just saw a project Safari go for $1849 on eBay that I passed up over a year ago because it didn't look like a deal at $500 in person!

Watch the classifieds at the vintage airstream club website, watch the rvtraderonline site for local stuff you might be able to go take a look at. We bought ours from WBCCI members who had been using it and were honest and straight with us, and it's the best thing we've ever done, we're so happy with our little trailer.

I hope you find a few to look at. The perfect airstream is out there for you, just be patient waiting for it to come around. The wrong trailer could wear you out before you have any fun with it. At least for my first trailer, I didn't want to spend the whole summer restoring it. Some people enjoy that, but I know I wouldn't have!

Good luck!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 12:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Any other places you suggest we look? I guess local ads and stuff.

Thanks,
Ingrid
Old 04-09-2004, 02:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Go to Airstream.com. We found ours there. Much later model, but in great condition at a very good price. Longer than we initially wanted but we love it. Did have to get a bigger tow vehicle. All it needed was a good scrub. Great trailer...good luck.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamhopeful
Hubby says two axles is a must for towing. He grew up trailering (whatever that means)
Smart man. Double axle if you can. Its a good safety and stability factor. You also say he is a big guy and anything with a double would most likely fit him better.

Quote:
Sorry for all these questions...
Don't be sorry!! You might be sorry later if you didn't ask them.

Have fun with your hunt. Be patient, foremost. New units go on the market everyday. You'll find yours.

-BobbyW

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 05:46 AM   #6
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Airstream Shopping...

Look at every Airstream you find for sale, even if it's shorter, longer, trashier, in better condition, newer, older, or whatever that you think you're looking for. Eventually you'll have a pretty good first-hand feel for price v. condition and the amenities of various eras. When you get to the point that you can say, "Oh, that's the '67 with the Corning windows and wood veneer cabinets... or that's a '94... I wonder how it's clearcoat is" or that's a thirteen panel, seven panel, or three panel cap from a newspaper add, you'll know whether or not it's worth looking at for you. It sounds from your descriptions, though, that a Caravanner or Tradewind, (both 25' tandems) or an Overlander (27' tandem) might be big enough for hubby, but small enough for you.

Buying the trailer you want at the price you want to pay is hard work. It takes dedication and lots of time. Use all of the resources at your disposal, especially the internet, and if you can't physically go looking at trailers, spend time looking at photos when you can.

Don't be in a hurry to buy. Once you find out what you like and actually want in a trailer, one will come along that is exactly what you're looking for. You may have to drive halfway across the country for it, but it's out there waiting... somewhere!

Good luck hunting!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 11:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Ugh...being patient is not my strong suit!!

But I know you're right or I wouldn't have taken the time to post here. We do have to stick with the tow vehicle we have, 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4. If we had the dough to be able to get other cars or an AS over a certain price ($5k max, which we haven't saved up quite yet) we wouldn't have to go with a fixer-upper model. But we do like the idea of customizing it ourselves, since we have to do it, we may as well start liking the idea right?

That helps, the model names of the two-axles. Any other suggestions would help, I'm taking copious notes.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:49 AM   #8
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi Hopeful,
The right one is just waiting for you to find it, be patient and diligent, you'll find it. As for trying to identify sizes and amenities, look through every trailer on the vintage website maintained by RJ, if you haven't already.

www.vintageairstream.com/archives/index.html

So many units and floor plans to look at. Make three different lists: the items you must have, the items you'ld like and the items you don't want. This will help you narrow down your possibilities. I for one, wanted alot of wood and not veneer or wood-grained contact paper, minimal amount of plastic and twin beds so I searched for a late '50s model.

Enjoy the search. It can be alot of fun and a tremendous learning experience.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 11:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Roger, do you mind if I incessantly nag and pick your brain? I hate not knowing everything I can. It's the German in me.

i.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Yep, I open that model list page in another session while I surf for models and information. That way I can just click back and forth and see what's what. What about floor plans though? Where can I find those?

I have so much to learn. I can't get over how helpful everyone out there is, I'm starting to see why people join the AS groups, the rallies look like they'd be so much fun. Get ready for questions questions questions, about everything, from Airstreamhopeful.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:13 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
When I was searching for my AS I had narrowed it down to wanting an Argosy Minuet, because of the big wrap around windows (I wanted a very open, airy feeling inside) and it had a grey tank for catching sink water (so I wouldn't have to deal with hauling a blue tank around), and it would be small and easy to tow. I wanted a dinette, but I was willing to take what I could get.

I was dealing with two very nice people via email, one in Seattle with a very original Minuet, and one in CO with a fixer-upper. I ended up being contacted by a gentleman in the AS club not far from here who had a Caravel for sale - almost the same size, lots of windows, a dinette, but no grey tank. I was flexable, and it was in such nice shape we decided to snap it up.

The lack of a grey tank turned out not to be as big a deal as I'd anticipated. However, the one thing I wanted to say was that everyone I delt with was so nice and helpful, I couldn't believe it. It really was a fun hunt and I was very happy with what I ended up with, and we're still friends with the previous owners. Not often you have an experience like that buying a vehicle! Airstream people really are a special group!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 03:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Have 1976 25' Tradewind for sale

Airstreamhopeful.. We have just got an Argosy 1975.. 26' and will be selling the Tradewind... asking 6500 US.. tandem axle and we pull it with a GMC 1500 5.3.. and it tows like a dream.. good tires , brakes, ac is really cold.. pergo floor.. skin is in very good condition.. new belt lines and rub line done with the parbon treatment above each.All tambour doors work and all bins are there.. Annie.. located in Ontario..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 04:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi ...

First Congrats on your hunt for a new A/S. As you can see there are as many opinions on what to do as there are models and years to look for.

Some have to look forever and some like Peter and I - left the looking upto the computer screen and then pow there she was just waiting for us after only a week looking for A/S's but about 4 weeks thinking and planning to purchase a TT.

Of course I wanted the new ones - just fell in love with them - untill of course I saw the price tag - yeh ha - can think of a few things to do with that dollup of money

Anyway we found our baby on Airstream.com classifieds - and then used the Service provided on this forum - where really really really really kind!!!! people offer to go look at a potential coach for you and give you a first hand visual either via digital camera or through their own eyes - when you live 1500+ miles away from a coach you just might like it can get a little pricey running around North America - just a tad too big

My hubby is 6.2 and although we have a really small bathroom - he fits just fine if you know what I mean. We don't have an overly large bedroom either. However you have to look at the reasons why you want to travel with a TT in the first place. Age will certainly play a big role (wanting and needing several conveniences that younger people don't quite need yet) You can always trade up when the time is right.

Weekender, long hauls, or yearly trips for several weeks at a time all require various immenities.

We love the outdoors and will spend 90% of our travel time (other than sleeping of course) NOT in the trailer. Like you our Tow Vehicle did come into the picture -as we just bought a brand new Kia and was not about to trade it - so we new we had to be under the 4K# mark. If you are going to take your Tow vehicle close to it's limit the most important number we have found to watch is the Rear Axel Gross Weight - I have seen vehicle rated for 7000# and yet are only 100# more RAGW than our Kia - you can have all the power you want but if you overload that RA you will be in trouble. - Many talk about wizing up and down mountain passes and yet more time will be spent on the flats - hit a few nice head winds and that will be harder on your vehicle. (lots of opinions on what to pull with from overkill to just using your common sense and always put safety first!)

We saw Annies Tradewind the other day (our new friends met here on the Forum and yet we are neighbours!!!!) Peter and I can vouch for it's condition - Annie actual understated the skin - it is in excellent condition - with a nice shine. Roomy with lots of little up grades already done.

You see we invited them to dinner and on their way they found the Argosy and the next day they bought it Too funny - How they spotted it in that driveway I will never know - we drive past there daily!@!

Type in Airstream dealers and visit everyone of their websites and go to the used or classifieds - check this forum and the Vintage forum regularily - and just put the word out to all your friends to keep an eye out. Don't be afraid to knock on someones door and ask if their A/S is for sale.

We are in the middle of our restore - not too much has to be done mostly cosmetic - we paid a little more for ours but then we don't have the huge repair bills either.

Good luck and if you have any questions please feel free to PM us. Check out our Photo Album for pics of our recent acquisition - 69 GlobeTrotter 21ft
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Thank you!! I have a feeling that AS is out of our budget...we're looking for a real fixer-upper...Jeff (husband) wants to gut it and re-do. But I did PM Annie about the price. We're really not in a position to buy right now, being self-employed and on the verge of getting out of business debt so we can start building a profit.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your posts...my 5 year old wants my attention right now so I have to sign off, but I'll be back!
Old 04-14-2004, 02:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
East Bay Grease

Quote:
Thank you!! I have a feeling that AS is out of our budget...we're looking for a real fixer-upper...Jeff (husband) wants to gut it and re-do. But I did PM Annie about the price. We're really not in a position to buy right now, being self-employed and on the verge of getting out of business debt so we can start building a profit.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your posts...my 5 year old wants my attention right now so I have to sign off, but I'll be back!
Hang in there, it is a very common story that it takes about a year to find what you are looking for. I've heard it many times. I think by now you have found that the 20 to 25 foot models are very popular and like hens teeth to find. Keep looking and enjoy the journey.
Welcome to our world.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:28 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Don't give up on finding an Airstream. We found one in our local paper last June. Almost everything was original, almost everything worked.
We then replaced the axle, tires , the carpet (remnant), and did a LOT of cleaning.
If you find one that you want to buy, check the thread, "so you want to buy an airstream that's 3 states away?" a volunteer inspector will probably be able to help you separate the wheat from the chaff.
A 25 foot rear bath would probably be what you could use, although one thing you probably don't realize yet is that if it needs axle work, it obviously costs twice as much as for a single axle trailer.
The biggest (read most expensive) things to make sure are good are:
1-axle(s)
2-frame
3-refrigerator
4-A/C
There are other issues, but these are the biggies.
Good luck in your quest!
Terry
Old 04-14-2004, 10:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Well let's just say if we find that screamin' deal for a 22' to 24' footer for less than 2k, we'll find the money. Remember we're ok with mice poop and rotting floors. So if someone comes up with that awesome possibility, let us know.

keep the ideas coming...

ingrid, (feeling housebound and needing to buy an AS and get the heck out of dodge for a while...)
Old 04-15-2004, 09:27 AM   #18
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Remember we're ok with mice poop and rotting floors.
A demonstration of true vintage Airstream lust!

Keep the faith - there seem to be more argosys on west coast than anywhere else - you'll find your new project soon!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 11:08 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Hi Janet, thanks for the encouragement and the notifications of AS's and Argosy's in our area. There is a perfect one for sale in Wisconsin, it's too far away though...we can't get away to tow for that long right now. BUMMER.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Wink looking too

I'm also looking for an Airstream. I'm planning to start out with a newer one 2001 - 2004. I'd like to ask someone about the "wet bath" - which sounds like a pain to me. Could I hear from some of you about a separate shower vs. the wet bath? Doesn't it take a lot longer to squeegee down the entire bath than it would to just do a shower. I've been debating between a 22 and 25 footer and frankly I like the smaller one except for the bath. I've been reading this forum for a couple of weeks and have learned a lot already. Thanks in advance for any feedback. Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote