Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
Refrigerator Fan

We just got back from our first trip in our 2013 16' Sport.

Question:

The fan on our fridge ran about 80% of the time we we're hooked up to shore power at the RV park we stayed at. The daytime temps we're in the mid to high 70's and in the low 50's at night.

Being this is the first RV I've owned that had a fridge with a fan is this normal?

We did loose our sewer hose somewhere on the road due to a loose fitting end cap cover on the storage tube under the AS.

Any ideas on how to make the cover tighter? Being plastic all I can think of is put duck tape over the end cover when traveling.

Thanks,

Jack Dog
in So Cal
JackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
While I never received a satisfactory answer from either AS, or the dealer we purchased ours from, the fan in ours was a nuisance also.

My short term solution was to unplug one of the bayonet connectors of the fan. Ours has easy access outside.

I complained vigorously with the dealer, who I'm sure didn't do it out of the goodness of their heart, but the ultimate solution was for them to install a rocker switch to shut of fan off in the evening. I suspect AS reimbursed the dealer for the work.

The "stinky slinky" tube cover shouldn't have come off. Are you sure that "user error" wasn't involved?

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
Sewer storage end cap

At first I thought I hadn't put it on tight but during the trip it came off four different times (of course 3 after the first time when I lost the hose)

The cap twists on and off really easy so I'm assuming it vibrates off going down the road.

I'll check with my AS dealer since it's still under warranty.

Thanks,
Mike
JackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDog View Post
We just got back from our first trip in our 2013 16' Sport.

Question:

The fan on our fridge ran about 80% of the time we we're hooked up to shore power at the RV park we stayed at. The daytime temps we're in the mid to high 70's and in the low 50's at night.

Being this is the first RV I've owned that had a fridge with a fan is this normal?
Thanks,
Jack Dogin So Cal
Yes... The fan comes on and off depending on the temperature of the air in the backside of the refrigerator.

The refrigerator runs more efficiently with a fan.

You can add a switch to turn the fan off when you really want to... more information here:

Can I run a frig without its fan?
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
I was having trouble with my fan also and threw several ideas up and the one that came down and impressed me was to hook the fan directly tothe red switch mounted just inside the door. This way I can turn on/off fan at my discretion. Hot-ON Cool-OFF.
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Hmmmm, ours has a refrig fan switch near the hinge side of the AS door ... is it a model independent item?
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
I just disconnected he "red" switch from the back of the refrig and ran it directly to the fan (minor rewire), and she works great. Just push the red button when I want fan and turn it off when I don't---red lighted switch is on when in use. The "grill" it was connected to behind the frig which was connected to the fan is no longer connected. Like I said, just minor rewire. Leaving this morning to a campsite near Charlottesville for a few days and will report if anything goes wrong....
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
Selby

2014 16' Sport
Bexley , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Burfield
My 2014 16' Bambi has the same loud refer fan running anytime I'm hooked up to power. Even when I turn the refrigerator 'OFF"! This can't be normal?
Burfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
I love the term "stinky slinky" - good one! We too have lost the sewer hose - well, not really lost, but dragged down the road for a few miles in our ole 1975. For us, duck tape worked great. Haven't had that problem with our new 2006 (I hope I didn't just jix us.
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I had the hose problem once when I first got my trailer. Put the cap on properly and then drilled a hole through the cap and pipe at an angle. I put a length of vinyl coated fence wire through the hole and bend it so it can't fall out. The same piece of wire has been doing the job for ten years.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The cap on my "stinky slinky" storage compartment fits real tight. It has never come off. It takes a little bit of effort to get it off when I want to.
I really don't use it that often, though. There is a "spare" stinky slinky in there for when I need an extension because the sewer hookup is too far away.
The one I use is in the rear bumper storage compartment because I can leave the clear 45 degree elbow on the trailer end and the elbow that inserts into the sewer pipe on the stinky slinky while in storage in the bumper.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:23 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Cedar Park , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Hmmmm, ours has a refrig fan switch near the hinge side of the AS door ... is it a model independent item?

I also have one of these and I am wondering when I should be using it. Should it be on whenever the frig is on, or only when it is powered by propane (or electric)? I am finding my lettuce is freezing though I cannot find a way to control the degree of coolness. It's the RM 2351 model on the 2016 Bambi.
travellvr is offline   Reply With Quote