Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2005, 12:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
Airstream And Dealer Working Together

Well, I'm starting to feel much better. I just talked to Dave Schumann at Airstream and with my dealer, Airstream of South Florida. Since the trailer is new, Dave thinks it best to replace the panel with the "buck rivet" method instead of overlaying a panel with the "olympic" rivet method. He says he has a traveling craftsman that can come and work with or assist the dealer's repairman to accomplish the replacement here in South Florida. Sounds great to me ... don't know how I'd schedule vacation for a while otherwise. Looks like he is going to replace the sofa and the trim pieces around the window. I definitely came away feeling that Airstream wanted to keep us as a happy customer with our first Airstream trailer. We love the trailer so we're anxious to buckle down with Airstream and the dealer and get this behind us. Meanwhile, I've got several toys I need to install on the truck.
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Glad to hear they are doing right by you. Too bad it has to leave the factory like that but kudos to the factory for making you happy now. Post some pics of the repairs.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 01:22 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
We're so happy ! The Bambi is back home and it looks like the brand spankin' new trailer that it is. Tim Maxwell, Airstream's traveling craftsman (whatever they're paying him, it's not enough) flew down to Florida and worked with the dealer to replace the radius panel on the curbside front of the trailer. It looks perfect. They used buck rivets and sealed it from the inside just like it's done at the factory. The sofa looks wonderful and is now all the same color. The brand new front window trim is in place and we're ready to "make it ours" with a major re-decoration project. Thanks Airstream. You really do stand behind your product.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:36 PM   #4
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Stephen & Miriam ...

That is certainly very good news. It's great to know that Airstream went the extra mile to make sure you are a satisfied customer.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:17 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
And....

Okay, I'll bite. I can't find in this thread what caused the problem with the new trailer! What happened you needed a new segment, and sofa, etc?

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 04-07-2005, 10:03 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Tim did some work on our unit too....he spent the better part of the day out at Paul Sherry on a cold December day.

Glad to hear a good ending to such a strange story.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:07 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I also just realized what a BIG project this must have been to do a panel replacement. I mean, I just looked and realized you don't have a CCD, so they actually pulled the interior gear out, removed the inside panel, did the work then replaced the insides? If that's right, WOW!
Old 04-08-2005, 05:40 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I also just realized what a BIG project this must have been to do a panel replacement. I mean, I just looked and realized you don't have a CCD, so they actually pulled the interior gear out, removed the inside panel, did the work then replaced the insides? If that's right, WOW!
All that! Found out that the carpet like fabric on the walls is called "the rag". Also said that this panel was one of the easier panels to replace. The hardest would've been the rear street side where they would've had to remove the entire bathroom.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:44 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars
Okay, I'll bite. I can't find in this thread what caused the problem with the new trailer! What happened you needed a new segment, and sofa, etc? Elizabeth in Iowa
I'm not sure how to include a link to another thread so I'll just try to explain where it's at ... under Forums / Bambi / 2005 Bambis you'll see a couple of threads posted about us picking up the new unit. We accepted a unit with a damaged front panel, didn't see it at the dealer.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:43 AM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Nice. Very fortunate that the could seal it from the inside. Also what is interesting is that "the rag" is right on top of the "CCD" interior panels, though I'm sure attention to detail on the non-CCDs isn't that like the CCDs cause "the rag" gets placed on top.

Glad to hear you're a happy camper!