Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Other Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Silverexpress
Georgia - F.D. Roosevelt State Park, May 27-30, 2011

Mark your calendar and make a reservation to attend this gathering at the largest state park in Georgia. For more information navigate to:http://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-georgia

For Georgia State Parks information regarding F.D. Roosevelt State Park, navigate to:
Georgia State Parks - F.D. Roosevelt State Park. Reservations must be made through the state park reservation system toll free number at 1-800-864-7275.

Make your reservation and please sign up on AIR Forum's rally calendar -- http://www.airforums.com/forums/cale...&day=2011-5-27

Rally Description: Located near Callaway Gardens and the quaint town of Warm Springs, this park is deeply rooted in the historical era of four-time President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Seeking a place for treatment after he was stricken with polio in 1921, Roosevelt traveled to Warm Springs and built his Little White House. Several structures within the park were built by Roosevelt's Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) during the Great Depression.

Hikers can enjoy the scenic trails in Georgia's largest state park, especially Pine Mountain Trail, which winds through a mix of hardwoods and pines. The trails highest elevation is 1,395 feet.

The park has two lakes so Airstreamers should consider bringing their kayaks or canoes to tour the lakes. As mentioned above, great day hiking awaits. The historic Liberty Bell Swimming Pool is popular and requires an entrance fee. There are a limited number of pull thru sites with a maximum length of 40 feet. There is only water and electric hookups. Dump sites are located within the park. Bicycling is a great way to get around Callaway Gardens and is well worth a visit along with the town of Pine Mountain, the Roosevelt Little White House State Historic Site and Wild Animal Safari out of Pine Mountain.
AIR #34494

Living the Airstream Life:
Silverexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Tac-georgia-f.d. Roosevelt state park

Try this link for additional information:

TAC Georgia (F.D. Roosevelt State Park) - The Airstreamer's Club
AIR #34494

Old 11-02-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
If this was any other time than Memorial Day Weekend, I could attend. Sorry to miss it. It looks like a great park and location.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:15 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
No problem. I plan on posting one more GA-TAC event for later on but once again, it will be tied to a Federal Holiday weekend. It's the only way I can get in sufficient time at a location to make it worthwhile. F.D. Roosevelt should be a good location for a GA-TAC event and offers just about everything (well except for sewer, wireless internet, and cable) from excellent day hiking, biking, kayaking, historic sites, Callaway Gardens and more. As the largest state park in Georgia, it offers a bit of everything. Sorry you can't make it!
AIR #34494

Old 11-03-2010, 06:48 AM   #5
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
FDR is one of the most popular state park in Georgia. You will need to make reservations as soon as possible as this park fills up for Holidays way in advance.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
That's a very good suggestion----make your reservation early to ensure a space within the park. I've already made mine.
AIR #34494

Old 11-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Reserving an Area?

Silverexpress,

Danielle and I certainly enjoyed our stay at FDR a few years ago. It is a very nice campground. I'm sure you'll have a good Airforums crowd in attendance.

I think GA State Parks do not allow you to reserve specific sites. That's usually a good thing - the first come, first served idea works very well if you arrive before the rush. However, FDR is so large you could be quite far from each other. That's okay too as long as people know that going in. Otherwise, you may want to see if the ranger will let you hold some number of sites for others who will be arriving later that day.

We may be able to attend. We'll keep you posted.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia
Roosevelt State Park Campground

The Pine Mountain Wild Animal Safari is close by. There are also horse stables and guided horse riding trails in Roosevelt State Park. Sometimes on the Holiday weekends, they provide special entertainment. We were there once when they showed family movies in the evening, had a bird trainer's show, and also had special 50's music with dance,costume,and other fun competitions. Every site was full so plan well in advance.
Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Just made reservations, still lots of sites, 60 @ 40 ft still available. Ga state parks only reserve by size not specific sites. We will beat the weekend crowd by getting there on Thursday. Last time we stayed there they were fully booked with empty sites, office doesn't physically check but rely on computers to keep track of sites and occupancy.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
thats a nice park and the little white house is a must see. realy enjoyed it when wife and i were there.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Reservations

I was told when I made my reservation that if people could request the 40' sites it would place folks somewhat closer. So when making your reservation you probably want to request one of the 40' sites unless they are all booked up.
AIR #34494

Old 11-13-2010, 07:41 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
For this outing it's so much to do, so little time! We will be there on Friday but really a Thursday arrival would be better.
AIR #34494

Old 11-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
I was told when I made my reservation that if people could request the 40' sites it would place folks somewhat closer. So when making your reservation you probably want to request one of the 40' sites unless they are all booked up.
If you are making reservations on line just put your unit down as 35ft. even bambi's are that long when you include the tv, computer selects 40 ft.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:46 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Photos of F.D. Roosevelt State Park

Try this link to see photos of the park to get an idea.

Georgia State Parks & Historic Sites
AIR #34494

Old 12-17-2010, 06:29 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Swim The Warm Springs, Dip Into The Past

May 28-May 30: Roosevelt Little White House Historic Site:

Swim in the historic pools built by President F.D. Roosevelt as a place for therapy. Normally kept empty for preservation, the shallow pools will be filled with naturally warm spring water. Tickets to the swim may be purchased over the phone with credit card. Space is limited to 80 participants per session. Reservations are suggested. All remaining tickets will be sold first-come, first-served, based on availability. No reservation is secured until payment is received. 1. $20 adults; $12.50 ages 6 to 17; Family Package-$75. 706-655-5870.

I wondered the last time I visited why the hot springs were not available for the public to use since that would be enjoyable. Now you get the chance during the rally to do just that!
AIR #34494

Old 12-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Just received my cc bill and was trying to figure out what the Georgia state park charges were for, duh, we made reservations last month at Roosevelt, CRS moving over from misplaced tools to long range planning. When we get the 2012 calendar will mark the dates.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Know what you mean. I use a calendar software tool to keep track of things, mainly because I can't seem to remember dates, very bad at that. I plan on calling the park today to see at about what date the park books up. Just a rough gauge to inform folks who are thinking of going to the park for the rally.
AIR #34494

Old 12-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
As of today there are ample spots available at F.D. Roosevelt but that will chance once we get into the new year.
AIR #34494

Old 01-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Set a New Years Resolution to use your Airstream even more in 2011. Mark your calendar for the F.D. Roosevelt State Park and make your reservation! It should be fun. There are plenty of Airstream trailers and motorhomes in the Georgia area so surely some of you can make this event.
AIR #34494

Old 01-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Set a New Years Resolution to use your Airstream even more in 2011. Mark your calendar for the F.D. Roosevelt State Park and make your reservation! It should be fun. There are plenty of Airstream trailers and motorhomes in the Georgia area so surely some of you can make this event.
Not only Ga but it will be a nice trip from Central Fl, I've even seen a lot of AS down here, but I don't know if most of them ever move.

Happy New Year, excellent resolution I am planning to try to schedule even a short trip at least once a month to keep all the parts lubricated and dust of the rust that accumilates on the rotors.

Last week we were freezing today I was sweating doing a little woodwork around the toilet, tile next.

Tags
fdr state park, ga-tac, rally