Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Airstream Australia
Commercial Member

2013 27' FB International
Batemans Bay , NSW
Send a message via Skype™ to AS Australia
Down Under planning for Australia

Hello from Down Under!
We are the Australia dealer for Airstream and are starting the Australia branch of WBCCI.
We want to reach out to any Airstreamers who want to come to Australia. We are plannig a big tour for 2015 and if anyone wants to come before then, we would be happy to help with arrangements for shipping if they are bringing their Airstream. And will answer any questions about touring Australia.

Would it be alright to join the forums and posts??

Ruby, National Lifestyle Facilitator
Airstream Australia
www.airstreamaustralia.com.au
AS Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello AS Australia. I am impressed. A dealership in Australia. Welcome to the Forum! We have had 214 people sign up to AIRForums from Australia over the years.

Please keep us advised of your plans.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
Airstream Australia
Commercial Member

Batemans Bay , NSW
214!! we have an idea that there may be 200 Airstreams in OZ. I know of a 1959, 1978, 1964 and 2 2010s. A Byron Bay hotel room and i have heard of another from the 1980's in Brisbane.

Anyone in Australia interested in joining WBCCI please contact me.

we are planning a 3 month tour in 2015 aimed at bringing in or brethern from USA and Canada but want to put trips together before then!
Old 12-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Turing OZ in an AS sounds great. I have had the pleasure of visiting Australia in 1980 for a month spending time in Sidney and Queensland. Fantastic country and people. I presume we would need to ship our AS, or are you going to lease them for the tour?
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Wow my mind is spinning right now. I love the idea.
Australia is on my bucket list. How awesome would it be to tour with an AS group.
As I am retiring in 6 months, funds will be limited. I would need to start saving now.
Any idea what the cost range would be?
If there are AS’s to rent, I would think that is less costly than shipping.
If shipping my AS only, would there be a TV to rent?
Old 12-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Great trip idea. If we ship an Airstream over, can we use it for the trip then sell it there, maybe on consignment?
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Oooooohhh!! We honeymooned there almost 25 years ago - Melbourne, Sydney and Heron Island (off Brisbane). VERY interesting idea! Love to see more of that beautiful country (continent?) in our Airstream... Of course, we'd have to plan for a tow vehicle - or maybe that gets shipped too? Juices flowing.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Welcome to the forums!

Yes, that sounds like a great trip.

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
Airstream Australia
Commercial Member

Batemans Bay , NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott J-24 View Post
Turing OZ in an AS sounds great. I have had the pleasure of visiting Australia in 1980 for a month spending time in Sidney and Queensland. Fantastic country and people. I presume we would need to ship our AS, or are you going to lease them for the tour?
We are working on details. Australia width max is 8 feet and the wiring here is 240v. if we have a large number coming, we may get special permission to have left hand drive vehicles and over width. Dolly Parton got to bring her motorhome that was oversize and over width so we are working on details for overseas visitors.

If you dont bring your AS, we have a buy back program. the Airstream 762 (27FB internationa modified for Australia) is $135,000. If you have it for a year and bring it back in excellent condition, we buy back for $120,000 unless you sell it for more!

we are working on details and will keep posting. Keep asking questions and we will put it in the planning. Tentative arrive Sydney and tour to Brisbane and Great Barrier Reef, on the Longreach, Mt Isa and Kakadu, Alice Springs and Ularu, Ayre Penninsula, Adelaide, Murray basin and back to Sydney. there are heaps of places to see and things to do along the way. We think maybe 12 weeks - minimum!!
The tour of a lifetime!! We have the help of a professional guide (he did a huge tour for Ranger rover a few years ago) so start practicing your Aussie - Prawns and Barbies (Shrimp and BBQ) G'day Mate!!
Old 12-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
Airstream Australia
Commercial Member

Batemans Bay , NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
Wow my mind is spinning right now. I love the idea.
Australia is on my bucket list. How awesome would it be to tour with an AS group.
As I am retiring in 6 months, funds will be limited. I would need to start saving now.
Any idea what the cost range would be?
If there are AS’s to rent, I would think that is less costly than shipping.
If shipping my AS only, would there be a TV to rent?
Hi Tiger - we are working on costings. Including shipping AS we think all this can be done for $50,000... don't faint - we are still exploring details, just keep saving :-)
Old 12-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Austrailia

I think the thought of us oldtimers shipping our prized Airstreams to Australia and back is not something that is going to happen on a large scale.
As you say, they would have to be converted , at considerable cost, to meet the AU standards if they were to be imported for domestic use. Probably cheaper to ship it back.

HOWEVER I think this might work.

Airstream past president has decided to start this rental company in the USA and this concept might work even better in AU.

Thor president resigns to start "“Airstream 2 Go LLC"
Thor Industries Inc. announced that Richard E. Riegel, senior group president, has decided to leave the company to found a new business, “Airstream 2 Go LLC,” which will rent current model Airstream trailers and tow vehicles to consumers and commercial customers.

Thor

If you can make a deal with Airstream to ship AU ready models for your dealership, then there would be a large market of North American tourists that would flood AU to rent an Airstream and tow vehicle to experience the wonders of the great continent.

This, in my mind, would be a blockbuster business in AU, NZ, and in fact, all other continents where Americans travel.

Wish you great success with that new dealership. Now I know where to order my Hella LED taillights for my Clipper from.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...tml#post907492

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #12
Airstream Australia
Commercial Member

Batemans Bay , NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
I think the thought of us oldtimers shipping our prized Airstreams to Australia and back is not something that is going to happen on a large scale.
As you say, they would have to be converted , at considerable cost, to meet the AU standards if they were to be imported for domestic use. Probably cheaper to ship it back.

HOWEVER I think this might work.

Airstream past president has decided to start this rental company in the USA and this concept might work even better in AU.

Thor president resigns to start "“Airstream 2 Go LLC"
Thor Industries Inc. announced that Richard E. Riegel, senior group president, has decided to leave the company to found a new business, “Airstream 2 Go LLC,” which will rent current model Airstream trailers and tow vehicles to consumers and commercial customers.

Thor

If you can make a deal with Airstream to ship AU ready models for your dealership, then there would be a large market of North American tourists that would flood AU to rent an Airstream and tow vehicle to experience the wonders of the great continent.

This, in my mind, would be a blockbuster business in AU, NZ, and in fact, all other continents where Americans travel.

Wish you great success with that new dealership. Now I know where to order my Hella LED taillights for my Clipper from.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...tml#post907492

Dave
Wow now my head is spinning - I am not suggesting your American Airstreams be converted - I am suggesting that we may be able to get special permits to bring them in as they are (doors on wrong side and lights not compliant among other items). Because this is a highly organized (or going to be) we are checking on such details. Shipping here and back is pretty straight forward but I can understand if you dont want to chance your baby on the high seas!

I love the idea of someone starting a rental operation here - I would refer the Aussies who are already calling to rent! Anyone want to take on a job? I will sell the Airstreams to you ;-)
Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
As a first step, I requested a quote for shipping a single 27' AS from the US's gulf coast to Kembla and the total with damage insurance was around 10K US.

Sounds high, perhaps an organized group could do better....

We are interested, if the details don't kill it.

Regards,

JD

Old 12-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
As a first step, I requested a quote for shipping a single 27' AS from the US's gulf coast to Kembla and the total with damage insurance was around 10K US.

Regards,

JD
Was that with or without a tow vehicle, 1 way or return?
1950 Spartan
Old 12-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #15
Airstream Australia
Commercial Member

Batemans Bay , NSW
Quote:

Regards,

JD
Jdalrymple - that is a pretty good rate based on what we pay for one way shipping and pt kembla is the best port. hopefully we will have the details worked out so you will just have to show up!! When we ship, the keys are sent to us under separate cover so they are not with the vehicle - makes it safer to know know one can get in. Just an FYI for later, the Quarantine department may want to do an inspection and will probably require a very detailed list of what is in your A/S to be provided ahead of time.

Doug - I would say that is one Airstream without a tow vehicle.

Anyone who is interested, I am keeping track and will let you know progress of details.

Just FYI again, here in Aus the tow vehicles are Land Rovers and the like that tow 3500kg 7700 pounds with towball weight of 350kg 770 pounds - What is your Tare/UBW and GVWR and length? I will work on sourcing tow vehicles too...lots of details to work out that is why we have a year or more of planning.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
1959 24' Tradewind
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Northeast , Iowa
This sounds very intriguing, would definitely be watching to see how the cost evolves.
epperp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Sorry, I have busy at work and just skimming the portal so I lost track of this thread.

The $10K quote was for a single trailer, one way, with no tow vehicle. I figured renting a TV would be cheaper than shipping mine. Not to mention all the details of permitting and the fact they drive on the wrong side of the car over there.....ha.

I do like the idea of owning a trailer that is so well traveled, however $20K of shipping starts pushing the cost up.

I am still interested in what costs might turn out to be once in country. And, what might be required to use a trailer from the US in Australia.

Regards,

JD

Old 01-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Sorry, I have busy at work and just skimming the portal so I lost track of this thread.

The $10K quote was for a single trailer, one way, with no tow vehicle. I figured renting a TV would be cheaper than shipping mine. Not to mention all the details of permitting and the fact they drive on the wrong side of the car over there.....ha.

I do like the idea of owning a trailer that is so well traveled, however $20K of shipping starts pushing the cost up.

I am still interested in what costs might turn out to be once in country. And, what might be required to use a trailer from the US in Australia.

Regards,

JD
I found this shipping company that showes RORO service from Baltimore to Sydney for a midsize car at $1625. That should be about the same as a small trailer.
International Shipping RO-RO. RO-RO ocean freight rates online.
1950 Spartan
Old 01-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #19
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Sounds like its time for a little Jimmy Barnes Band and Tooheys (or two). I think it would be great to see Austrailia the way it should be seen, outdoors. Good on ya mate!!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #20
Airstream Australia
Commercial Member

Batemans Bay , NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
I found this shipping company that showes RORO service from Baltimore to Sydney for a midsize car at $1625. That should be about the same as a small trailer.
International Shipping RO-RO. RO-RO ocean freight rates online.
When the time comes we will work with our shipper to get quotes and we do RORO roll on roll off. that means your A/S is in the hold away from the sea air.

For everyone who is interested, would you list your A/S width and weight/Tare and tow ball please. that will give us some details to start talking to the roads authority.

We have an Aboriginal tour guide for the Alice Springs area that may be an Airstreamer by the time the tour gets started. Things are slowly accumulating...