Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2004, 01:23 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Recap 2004 Moraine View Midwest Rally

Hi all. This will be the thread for comments (good and bad) regarding the June 11-13 Rally.
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 07:15 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Allow me to the first to comment!

Well, I was there friday morning. And friday night. And I'll be back there today. Yeah, not having my trailer isn't stopping me!

Weather's been...decent so far. A touch of humidity, but no rain, really.

But what fun people!
and...oh, the flamingoes!
-Chuck
funchucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 03:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
** No trailer **

Well, allow ME to be the SECOND reply.. Funchucky, ya BEAT me! :-)

Thank you to everyone who was SO GRACIOUS to us.. it was simply fantabulous to meet everyone and put faces to screen names. I'm not especially GOOD at names, so we'll have to all meet again!

We couldn't bring our trailer since she went kabonk in the AC unit immediately as we were ready to pull out, but that didn't stop us from showing up, either.

We didn't want to tow her, as she was disassembled. I brought a photo album as I.D. for entrance, as well as used Till as my witness.. he's seen our trailer.

We had an absolutely LOVELY time, and I am SO SORRY we couldn't actually participate for the full length of the Rally! We had too much happening in this one weekend, anyway, with Special Olympics in Bloomington, too.

I LOVE the freebies we got.. the keycahin is SO CUTE... our SOB friends will be SO JEALOUS of our wonderful yard sign... the one they have is LAME compared to ours!

Tony and Ron, the whirl-i-gigs are TOO wonderful! Did they all find homes?

And yes, there were flamingos, some really wild ones... but I didn't get to bring MINE! Boo Hoo!

We will see some of our FAVORITE people in Colorado at the Vintage Rally in July, and we are REALLY looking forward to it. (Knock on wood.. I'm tapping on my head at the moment.. will we have air? will we have power?? )

We have to now decide.. (and rather quickly) rebuild an old Armstrong AC unit or replace with new?

Hi to all of our new friends.. I wish you all a happy and healthy camping season.. UNTIL we meet again!
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 04:27 PM   #4
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
JUST walked in the door... LONG four-hour drive down on Thursday...took seven hours with the storms, got in around 10PM. Friday & Saturday were superb. A little hot, but wonderful folks, great food, & great fun. Those of you who didn't go missed a great time. Thanks to everyone! It was very nice to meet everyone... hope to see you all again soon!

A special thanks to: Jack who did a mahvellous job of organizing the rally... simply mahvellous (the keychains are too cool)! Tim for excellent airstreamforums.com street signs! Tony and Ron for the whirlygigs! AND, of course, to Tracy for the T-shirts! And to everyone for the excellent food at the potluck and the even better company for the weekend!

Best to all...

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 04:41 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
Thank you to all who came to this great rally> It was great to see all of you and hope we can do it again. Special thanks to Jack for putting this all together, Tim for the great signs, Ron and Tony for all you little toys. I love th T-shirts that Tracy made. All in all I had a great time and look forword to seeing all of you again real soon. I alo would like to thank every who brought a dish for the pot luck dinner, I am still full. Take care everone.

Chris
Tikihut
WBCCI #2732
Tikihut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 06:18 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Just got back

We got back at about 4:30. Just got done unpacking the van and the trailer. Going to grab a bite and then post some pictures. Have lots to say but they are yelling to go eat.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 06:22 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ditto all the comments above. Great food, friends and company. Special thanks go to Jack, Zamboni, Tracy and TinCanLuv for all the extra special things they all did to make this rally even better than last year. I have my keychain in the camper, my street sign tucked away safely, the t-shirts all safely tucked away for memories and the whirlygigs outside the house here.

One very sad note however was on our way home. On 74 west, about 5 miles from the 55 junction, in a construction area, a possum walked out into the highway. I could not safely get into the other lane, and try as I might, the shoulder was too narrow and I dare not stop knowing the traffic behind me that I saw coming in from the on ramp. I came close to carving the curbside of the Safari on the construction signs, but in the end, the best and only choice was to hit the possum. No damage to the rig at all, but still, I feel terrible. I only hope it died instantly...poor thing!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 06:35 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Oh yea...a few things I wanted to share:

1) The 15k BTU A/C unit exceeded my wildest expectations. The unit matched with the comfort control system kept the coach very cool and comfy in a matter of minutes from 85 degrees and full sun. I would suggest ANYONE getting a new coach that is 25' or larger to get this 15k unit with the comfort control system! It made no difference as it was WAY humid outside and it still did a phenominal job. There were some in the past that had concerns that it would cool the unit too quickly and not deal with the humidity. Totally a non issue. Smaller than 25' I think the 13.5k unit will do just fine.

2) All the coaches we took a tour of were wonderful. One that I'd like to comment on as it has been a hot topic here in the past was about the slide out. Jack and Patty as you all know picked up a 30' Classic slide out. All I can say is WOW! That slide out made the whole front end of the coach look like an actual room of a house. The space was unreal. The slide out design, having seen it in it's raw form at the factory didn't even come close to doing this thing justice. There are rubber seals, awnings, etc to keep the elements out and it was just an awesome sight to see. IMHO, it added LOTS of space to the coach. As with any piece of equipment, anything can happen, however, looking closely at this unit installed, one can clearly see that it is a very solid slide and the benefits were very clear to me.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 07:07 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

...We made it back at 6:30 EST...

Thank you, Jack, Tim, Ron & Tony, Tracy!

It is a severe thunderstorm warning here now -- it chased us home. No problems except a nasty crosswind the whole way...Averaged 13.8 MPG.

Kira and Chandra Had a Great time, and so did we! Kira kept asking when Ron and Tony are camping with us again...

Now, where do we put those whilygigs?

Rob, Sara, Kira, and Chandra
hohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 07:17 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

...Silvertwinkie -- if you swerve too fast, your rear end will be steered by your Safari -- you did the right thing...

We did not have our 15K AC past low all weekend -- it kept up easy, even with the tours and the kids in and out every three minutes, and it was well past 90 in the shade according to my thermometer...at our end of the street...

I am amazed how sound-proof these things are -- I did not hear a thing all night last night, and the party went on without me about 4 meters from our bed...very quiet!

We got some mold in the refrigerator -- it was humid! I was surprised to see it...

Till, our kids loved playing with your kids -- bring that AS with you next time!

Jack, your trailer is awesome!
hohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 07:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
We made it....

Hello all... I can't begin to tell you all what a great time we had. As you all know, this was our Maiden Voyage, and one we will never forget. All in all, including the ride home, took 177 pictures. I know there are many that I missed. I am bad with names, and hoped to have pics of you all, so I can be prepared next time....(I really appreciate those of you with face pics in your photo album. I will spend the next 24 hours posting pics in my album I am sure.

By the time we arrived in LeRoy, to gas up (not taking any chances) we had lost the NEW plexi window that we had to replace from the ride to MVSP. Silly us, forgot to ductape it down. By the next potty break, we had lost the plexi glass window next to the door. So, we are rather windowless at the moment.... As you know, the weekend was a mess for Joey, so we managed to laugh it off.

About 75 miles from Missouri, we decided to jump on ol' route 66 and follow it home. What fun that was. I'll post pics of that too.... We're thinking of a book now.... (poor Tony, not a moment's rest).

We thank each and every one of you for making this a great experience. We learned much from everyone, met great friends, drank too much (sorry about that...) and look forward to seeing you all again.

Thanks Jack for pulling us all together, thanks Tim, the signs are INCREDIBLE, thanks Tracy, the T's are equally impressive, and thanks for taking all of the darn whirly gigs....LOL.

Look forward to the next. I have much more to say, as always, but that will have to wait for another post!
Old 06-13-2004, 08:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Booty's Back

For those of you who heard the stories about the cats, as you know, one of them, the spaz, wierd one, ran away last week. Terrible to say, but we were glad to see her go, as well as was Reiley, the other.

When we pulled up, walked up the stairs, we heard cat meowing (now Booty never meowed...) we investigated to see who's cat was in distress..

I traced the sound to the heavy stone steps of the neighbors house, and through the quarter inch crack, clearly heard the cat.

Tony pulled away the step (thank goodness it was cracked in half) and there was Booty!!! NO POSSIBLE ENTRY under the stairs. So, she's home and reiley is mad but it was the perfect STRANGE ending to our very interesting, but wonderful weekend.

Here's a few pics of the leak containment units. AND, Zamboni's signs, everyone,,,,, see them and weep!!!! They ARE AWESOME!!!

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A Rally To Remember 027.JPG
Views:	522
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	7170   Click image for larger version

Name:	A Rally To Remember 054.JPG
Views:	517
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	7171  

Attached Images

Old 06-13-2004, 08:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
sorry

But, while I'm at it, a few pics from the ride home. Three from the 'Route 66 drive'... I promise I'll post the rest in my album, and not here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A Rally To Remember 137.JPG
Views:	484
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	7173  
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2004, 08:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
viewing pictures

the pictures from Tin can Luv two prior posts wouldn't show up on my screen, but when I right-click them, and choose "show picture," they came right up.

Anyone else have that problem?
Old 06-13-2004, 08:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
THANK YOU, Tim

Your trailer signs were/ARE truly AWESOME.

we were SO BUMMED to come down there without our trailer, but when we pulled our truck into the assigned lot, poured our chocolate milk in to our EXTREMELY CLASSY palm tree drink "hiders".... and set up our two measly lawn chairs, it really MADE MY DAY to see my sign.

How WONDERFUL!

I'm taking it everywhere with us. Our SOB friends will DIE DIE DIE.

Thank you so much!
Old 06-13-2004, 08:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Tracy Lawrence

LOVE the t-shirts.. we stopped at several antique malls on the way home and they got a good amount of attention!

I bought one for my son, Eric, and his friend, Robert, at the Group Home. I told them about it on the phone tonight, and Eric said :

"finally got me that trailer trash shirt you've been threatening me with, aye?"

I'm mailing them out tomorrow. the guys will LOVE them.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
WOW! Those Forum name signs are awesome! Please give more details. What are they made out of? How were they made? Very jealous.

You guys certainly set the standard for Forum Rallies.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 09:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
We're safely home after a six hour drive, we've parked, left everything to unpack until tomorrow, greeted kids and grandkids with marvelous new whirly-gigs (thanks, Ron and Tony!), hugged our dog, and plopped! What a fun weekend we had with everyone. We had never seen even four AS's in a campground before, and we were part of a HUGE gathering of them! And we even got to open doors and tour through them all! We add our voices thanking all of you who made personal contributions to the gathering. Yes, our keys now are on the key chain, our whirly gig is twirling in the back garden, our sign will be a keepsake, the t's will go on our trip in July, and the memories are priceless. Putting faces with names will make the Forum even more enjoyable. It's simply amazing that a tentative post on this forum a year ago could have led us to an Airstream of our own and the friends that now go with that. Hope this finds everyone home, safe, and looking forward to the next road trip with your Airstreams! By the way, on our way home today, we took a side trip to New Salem (an Illinois historic site) that is just outside of Springfield. New Salem is an 1830's reconstructed village where Abraham Lincoln lived and worked as a young man before his adult political life. The site is beautifully done and well worth the time if you have the opportunity to visit. I was thinking of all the young families at the rally and imagining how the children would enjoy an afternoon in this walk-back in time!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 09:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Airstream Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dee
WOW! Those Forum name signs are awesome! Please give more details. What are they made out of? How were they made? Very jealous.

You guys certainly set the standard for Forum Rallies.

You shoudl have seen the trailers all lined up, with matching identifying signs. It was really KEWL.

Of course it woudl have been MUCH nicer if there hadn't been a gaping HOLE in the spot WE were supposed to be in!

I'll love my sign FOREVER!
Old 06-13-2004, 10:39 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Sovereign
Bel-Nor , Missouri
This was our first rally and is my first post. We had a great time. Everyone was class A and all of the coach's we toured were fabulous. Although we were in the unknown site due to my not registering correctly we were never alone. Thanks to everyone for everything. Hope to be doing it again and often.
stl4519 is offline   Reply With Quote