Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2004, 08:33 PM   #41
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin can luv
I really didn't mind for our first trip though. I'm still worried about only having a single axle...If I go flat, or blowout, we're screwed.
That's why you need to have a good spare. When we had the Bambi, it is true the tires were new, yet we went to some real islolated places and on some bumpy gravel roads with it that could have been bad. Our piece of mind was having that spare with us just in case.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 08:50 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Angry Illinois Laws

Guys, BESIDES the speed limit, State Troopers are setting traps for people NOT wearing seat belts.

They have a spotter up front who radios to the troopers who to stop.

Ask me how I know?

I have a "warning ticket" because my seat belt was not worn in a "fully proper manner." No fine or license removal, so I guess he was good to me.

I saw all the troopers, I didn't care because my seat belt was on, but it was not positioned completely over my left shoulder.

My car is vintage.. it is 18 years old and the upper part of the seat belt locks incorrectly and strangles me. Of course that is no excuse.. better strangled than getting a 75.00 ticket.

A person I know put her seatbelt on when she saw the troopers, but they gave her a ticket anyway becausde the "spotter obesrved her", PLUS she got a ticket for tinted windows.

Talk about Big Brother! better not scratch yourself when you think you're in private, because you're NOT.
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 09:16 PM   #43
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo-kid1
better not scratch yourself when you think you're in private, because you're NOT.
Heck, I'll make doubly sure to scratch myself ...and pick my nose, or anything else I can come up with that's disgusting! If Smokey is watching, I figure he's less likely to want to handle my license if it has ear wax smeared all over it.

Okay, I just grossed myself out.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:08 PM   #44

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My, my it has been busy since last night hasn't it. Oh well here it goes....

Those who arrived early were treated to nature's wrath of tornado warnings and were asked to visit the shower house for protection. Friday arose with none the worse for wear other than Ron spending the night catching water from the inside. The rain I was told, was torential. Ron and Tony win the award for spending the most time on the road, relative to distance traveled. Seems like the karma stank cloud was over them Thursday.

We drove up Friday with Panub following up the rear. You would think I would have remembered the way since I've been there before, but I missed the turn at Casey's. So after a few blocks out of town I realized the error of my ways and telephoned Panub, that we missed the turn and I'd find a place to turn around. A couple of miles later I found the perfect turnaround which proved to Panub than you can spin a big van and 31' Airstream in minimal space.

We get to the campground only to find the entry road layered with fresh gravel. The 30 MPH speed limit will do nasty damage to pretty aluminum so my speed limit instantly drops to 20. I'm sure Panub loved the slow speed and dust cloud I left. We backed into our site and shortly after Twink pulls in with that slick Caprice. I opened the electrical box only to be met by a wasp who was working hard on a decent size nest. Gladly only one is there and I knocked the nest out of the box and get things plugged in.

Next to Twink is Tracy Lawrence's spot. As we were standing there a pretty good side limb crashes down on her site. Luckily no one is there. So much for good karma. I look up and another limb is hanging way way up, between Twink's site and mine. I pray for calm winds.

Zamboni has the signs out and folks are slowly filling in. It seems like everyone has honed their backing skills.

Panub's mom is with here and she is greated by a giant banner wishing her happy birthday. She is surprised and probably wonders what else awaits her for the weekend.

Humidity is tremendous and for the first time I see the condensate tube from my A/C dumping a stream of water.
The big sites that we used for the pot luck are awash and are swamps. I find high ground next to Honhe's for dinner on Saturday.

Air conditioning is the "hot ticket" and some find that theirs is missing the boat. Breaker blowing or compressor failures seem to be occuring too often. Power is good at the campground so we can't blame it on that. Twink wins the prize for the most BTU's per square ft. We declare that his trailer is the official meat locker for the rally.

All kinds of good stuff is being given away. Rally/concert style shirts from Tracy, Trailer Key Chains from Jack, Site signs from Zamboni, and Tin Can provides Whirlygigs and Flamingos. Even Zamboni supplies a special prize for furthest distance driven which is won by Eikel1we who drove over 450 miles from their outpost in Michigan.

We canceled out the Friday movie due to lack of equipment and as it ended up we had some light showers which would have ended the movies early if we had tried.

Tours were Saturday and everyone got a chance to see the vintage and new units there. Lots of questions and some of us had some flea market items for sale.

Dinner was great and we probably could have had double the attendance and still had enough food.

The evening campfire was enlightning with our resident pyro Silvertwinkie, with assistance from assistant pyro Hohne getting the fire off to a good start. Zamboni supplied the color and we all marveled at how copper and garden hose provide such good effects.

Sunday came early and with the forecast for possible heavy storms, most got out by noon.

Another great time, too short by many's standards but most of us have jobs and I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.

Attendance was down by two in the count but we did pick up two that were unexpected so 26 was the final number. Thanks for all who participated and special thanks to those who supplied the goodies. This is going to be a high standard to meet for future rallies.

By the way, here is a picture of the tree next to Tracy Lawrence's site. I see the face of the devil here.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6110031(1).jpg
Views:	323
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	7186  
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 10:24 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
This is going to be a high standard to meet for future rallies.
Yeah, tell me about it, Jack!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 10:34 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Carma

With Tracy's good fortune of not getting hit by falling debris, and our bad forutune of leaks, crimped propaine hoses, leaking water tanks, missing windows....

It goes to show that Tracy's voodoo dolls work. Good thing Tony can sew up a good prototype.....Tracy, every last hair folicle (sp?) will be hurting you next rally....LOL

Ron
Old 06-14-2004, 10:38 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Recap 2004 Moraine View Midwest Rally

It never ceases to amaze me how much fun a Rally can be at Moraine View. The first rally in 2003 was great and this year's follow-up was fantastic! As others have posted, the people really make this rally, and that is certainly true. It is always fun to be able to put names with faces and have the opportunity to visit at leisure.

As was the case last year, the companionship of this rally was fantastic! The event made for one very enjoyable weekend - - in fact, I extended my stay and didn't depart until Monday - - had the central part of our rally area to myself Sunday night. I guess that I may finally adapt to back-in sites, but they are generally my last-choice. When traveling alone, I rarely choose to stay at a back-in only campground.

Quote:
I know that is what the sign says, but in IL, we go by the plus 30 rule which is simply adding 30 to whatever the sign says. I think you will find that most State Troopers in IL won't even bother anyone if you are going near 55-65mph, trailer or not. Our family has lived in IL for perhaps 3 or 4 generations. Few times, unless you are really pushing Mach 1, do they even bother....and even if they did, the fine is something like $75 or $100? Compare that to WI where the fines are $267.00 for 15 over..........
I can't comment much about Northern Illinois (other than to say that I always look forward to getting South of Interstate 70 where the pace of life is less harried), but I know where I am from in Southern Illinois (fourth generation) there is much less leniency - - and the fines + court costs are evidently higher - - as posted in my county's newspaper - - 1 - 10 MPH $85.00; 15 - 20 MPH $110; 21 - 25 MPH $200 - - and each week there is in excess of one column of speeding fines.

Personally, I am a proponent of the 55 MPH limit for trucks, RVs and vehicles towing trailers. I rarely write to my legislators, but did when there was recent discussion of changing this law - - I just wish that it was more strictly enforced state-wide. Part of the joy of Airstreaming is being able to enjoy the adventure and the stress involved in taveling in excess of 55 MPH with a trailer removes much of the travel enjoyment (IMHO). My parents' probably helped me to learn this lesson (plan ahead so that it isn't necessary to exceed the speed limit) as their rule while I was living at home was that car priveleges would be suspended for two years if my name were ever published in the roster of speeders - - this also included my years in college as I lived at home and commuted to save money (this was during the energy crisis so the maximum speed limit was 55 MPH).

I frequently travel the length of the state (from Galena, IL to Union County, IL) both with and without my trailer - - with the trailer the cruise is set at 55 MPH and I rarely have to adjust the speed except when exiting or negotiating an interchange - - when traveling without the trailer the cruise is set at 62 MPH on the Interstate and I can typically maintain a consistent pace passing possibly a dozen vehicles in the 490 mile route.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 10:55 PM   #48

Fenton , Missouri
Here are Jack's picture's. Be sure to check out the comments on each picture.

http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo...assword//page/

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-14-2004, 11:28 PM   #49
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Very cute commentary Jack...sorry, I mean Mongo....
Old 06-14-2004, 11:30 PM   #50
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
PS- I too went slower than 20 on that new gravel road and I still found a few small coating chips on the front. I was pretty bummed about it, but nothing can be done about it now I suppose.

Mud flaps going on soon!
Old 06-15-2004, 05:15 AM   #51
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Nice photos, Jack...

Uh... Tracy... any chance of waking Jack's voodoo doll? Can you do requests?

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:18 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
By the way, here is a picture of the tree next to Tracy Lawrence's site. I see the face of the devil here.

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:28 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64

(this was during the energy crisis so the maximum speed limit was 55 MPH).

gosh,coulda fooled me, wasnt it supposed to be 90 KMH?
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:42 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
I was only HALF a "No-show"

Quote:
My, my it has been busy since last night hasn't it. Oh well here it goes....

Attendance was down by two in the count but we did pick up two that were unexpected so 26 was the final number. Thanks for all who participated and special thanks to those who supplied the goodies. This is going to be a high standard to meet for future rallies.
Jack
We were only HALF a no-show, and I feel terrible that we missed so much fun!

I would have brought the trailer even with the air and fan knocked out, except for it was literally knocked out; removed.. and laying on the garage floor. We can't tow the unit in THAT condition!

We have an appointment Monday at an Airstream dealer for a new AC unit.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:44 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Eeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkk

Quote:

Jack

BTW.. that tree is FREAKING ME OUT!!!
Old 06-15-2004, 01:28 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Talking

WOW! Back on Sunday afternoon, cleaning out the mud and moisture, washing the sweaty clothes and by Tuesday there's 3 pages of posts. What a prolific bunch.
We can't thank everyone enough for the organization and the hospitality that made us first timers feel so welcome. The park was much better than we expected and surprisingly free of the little bloodsuckers so commonly found in Wisconsin and the UP. Maybe that tree does have an effect. I will admit, like others, that I took a few laps through downtown LeRoy until I found the right road to the park.
Being able to see the other rigs I learned what I've done right and what needs to be redone, and, what's possible with a little insight and imagination. Whirlpool tubs and all. Maybe find a early 70's 22 footer, rip out the rear bath, stuff a queen sized bed in there, center bathroom/shower.... Oh Well. If it ever dries out it's back to work on th GT. (Another 2.7 inches of rain fell while we were gone.)
Thanks again to Jack and everone who made this rally such a success.

Hope to see you all again,

Tom and Sue
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:06 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

This was our shake-down cruise...

All,

I have not really pulled a *big* RV at all until the AS -- our pop-up was like a wart on our behind as compared to the 3-ton AS...we had a 34 foot globestar, but it stayed parked on a site we rented yearly...

My parents had RV's, and I lived in their 1972 Winnebago Chieftain for a bit right after trade school (aircraft mechanics). I drove it and had no problems with it...

My wife had camped all her life, so we are somewhat veterans, but very much newbies concerning towing and on-the-road logistics...

There is little comparision between the pop-up and the AS (sorry, Till ) -- it is very easy to set up. The comfort is close to home with the memory foam pads on the beds. There are several more accessories we plan on getting -- like the between-wheel chocks and a stove silencer and stuff like that...

While setting up, Tikihut came over and said the front looked too high. To make a long story short, I have determined that the counter area (next to stove) is bowed about half a bubble off, hence the 'nose-up' look to the initial set up, and murphy has it, was the spot I stuck my level to determine for-aft up-down. I wanted to tell tikihut he was right....it was a bit high.

I was surprised to find mold in the refigerator after a three-day trip...I guess that stuff never sleeps. Needless to say, we nuked it.

We got a lot of good logistics ideas from just seeing how everyone set up and camped -- I know that it takes time to put out 39 whirly-gigs...

From our pop-up days, we have the Coleman roadtrip grill -- we have the grates, griddles and stove rings that fit into it. We use that instead of the range top for almost everything. We had a choice of an oven or convection/microwave in the 28W, and we choose the oven, and we use it a fair amount.

We still have had some brake problems with the prodigy indicating nc-overload on an occasional basis. The activator III brake controller is not as likely to do this -- it has showed an overload on very rare occasions.

I think I have found the cause of all the strangeness -- it is at the truck-trailer plug -- I stopped at a rest stop when the prodigy was acting up and went back and used a little screwdriver to bend the little clips closer together and I then *really* shoved the connecter into the socket. I also switched from the Prodigy to the activator III (I have both installed) and I noted not one ounce of problems the rest of the way -- I am going to take things apart and really inspect the bargman and its socket.

We learned a lot -- the girls are still learning how to act at a campground, the rules are different than in any other environment -- you have strangers, and fires, and pools, and all sorts of dangerous things they have to be trained on. We have a list, and it is like five pages long. A campground is a complex environment, and we will get better as a family in dealing with it -- I felt torn between visiting and touring and trying to keep an eye on what the kids were into, and felt as though I did not do a very good job at either...

In the end, on Saturday night, I just pooped out -- I did not hear anything and Jack's photo of how close the fire was to the back was telling how worn out we were...

On Sunday morning, some of the food from the pot-luck looked like it was a bit strewn in the area -- sort of looked like a food fight had occurred...so what is the real story of the evening?

-Rob
hohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:09 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to airstreamDreamer2
Smile great rally

My husband and I had a great time despite numerous problems with his mother's airstream.(she's at bill thomas right now) I learned how to pitch a tent. (embarassment) We still haven't found our ideal airstream that the bank approves of, hence my screen name. Anyway, the potluck was awesome!! I'd never seen so much food leftover at a rally before! Everyone brought terrific dishes! I only hope we can repeat such a success next year! And hopefully we'll have our very own airstream next year. My husband tells me I can keep dreaming. Sigh.

AirstreamDreamer2
airstreamDreamer2
airstreamDreamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:23 PM   #59

Fenton , Missouri
Rob, first and most important that fire wasn't close to your unit. The reflections were pretty neat though, thus my comment about turning the aluminum red. One of those Kodak moments!

Secondly in leveling your trailer or setting up your external level, the best spot to check is the floor of the freezer compartment. You try to level mainly to make sure the refrigerator works correctly. Creature comfort comes next.

I'm curious about your comments on mold in the fridge, and that you nuked it. I didn't get any mold in mine and my guess is the mold was there before your trip. I normally keep my refrigerator and freezer doors open when the trailer is not in use. This prevents any buildup of moisture. Now you have to remember to close things before moving, but keeping the doors open will prevent that issue from occurring.

My gut feeling on the food is the raccoon that was circling us Saturday night. He may have gotten into the trash barrel. He kept getting closer as the night went on.

Your kids and camping. Well its just a matter of keeping an eye out for them. I know my son was a lot older before he was out of my sight. They will learn but obviously you will need to provide reinforcement when necessary.

Over the years I have had my go around with poor connections to the tow vehicle. Those contacts in your plug must also be kept clean and corrosion free. Since they are copper they will deterioriate over time. I have some electrical cleaner which I use to keep things connected well.

Glad you were there, we enjoyed your company.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-15-2004, 04:30 PM   #60
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
I'm curious about your comments on mold in the fridge, and that you nuked it. I didn't get any mold in mine and my guess is the mold was there before your trip. I normally keep my refrigerator and freezer doors open when the trailer is not in use. This prevents any buildup of moisture. Now you have to remember to close things before moving, but keeping the doors open will prevent that issue from occurring.

Over the years I have had my go around with poor connections to the tow vehicle. Those contacts in your plug must also be kept clean and corrosion free. Since they are copper they will deterioriate over time. I have some electrical cleaner which I use to keep things connected well.

Glad you were there, we enjoyed your company.

Regards,

Jack
Rob... I concur with Jack on the mold. We typically use our refrigerator as a second cold-storage center, and have it plugged in and on all summer long. We have no mold either.

Contact cleaner is available at most auto parts stores; I bought a can of it while we were in Bloomington at a parts store 'cause we didn't have any with us...

It was great to meet you guys!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote