Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
I was advised years ago that to have insurance cinches the deal for a lawyer to take the case, without insurance lawyers want money guarantees and those sueing don't have it.
Insurance never crossed my mind in my plan to attend N. Georgia rally, I do have insurance for the vehicle, both liability and road service, gee I and spouse will have to watch our step around campfires and make sure we don't make someone else drink what we like. Now we have to worry about kayaks and bicycles, one in the water and the other only has two wheels, guess we can keep the kayaks close to shore and get training wheels for the bikes. Get real, life is an adventure otherwise stay home.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Before we get too far afield and start chambering rounds I think there are three areas in which insurance and liability could be looked at by small time Rally Hosts.

First would be the venue. Public or private campgrounds will have some level of insurance. With pools, playgrounds and the occasional falling tree branch or ungrounded electrical outlet I’m sure their actuaries have all the bases covered. I’ll check next week with our Campground Host when we do the initial set up for the Forum Rally we are hosing next week. I don’t see a need for coverage here.
The scenario of the "happy" camper falling into a fire pit could be covered by the campground. However, as the Camp Host has repeatedly pointed out to our group "Alcohol is allowed, public drunkenness and bad behavior is not." The rangers do patrol 3 or 4 times a night.

Second would be the activities. The WBCCI Rallys seem to have a much more structured approach to "Fun Fellowship and Adventure" than we do. If your group is requisitioning a park shelter, planning a children’s activity, chartering buses for group tours and catering in dinners then you may have a percentage of any liability.
The closest we ever come to anything organized is an impromptu loading up a couple of trucks and heading out to the dollar stores, winery tours or going behind the "cheddar curtain" for local beer and cheeses. Seems to me if you’re a driver you would be covered by your auto insurance.

Third would be the ubiquitous Pot Luck Dinner. This is the only item I can think of that could an issue. I mentioned before that a tainted catered dinner could be a problem but the vender could be responsible the majority of any claim.
The Pot Luck is a completely different animal. If everyone is freely digging into whatever gets set out on the row of tables who’s to blame if someone needs a trip to the ER? This is something I might run by my friends and relatives in the legal profession.

The first night we are planing a Wine and Cheese Style appetizer dinner. We are providing the hor’dourves. We are not providing the wine. That is an obvious step over the liability line.
Frankly, having eaten 10 years worth of Pot Luck dinners while camping I’ve never had a problem. I think the plaintive would have to prove wonton negligence to justify the damages.

A fee to cover insurance?? At one rally a family with 2 Airstreams rolled in. They read about the gathering on the Forum and thought they would drop by to see what it was all about. I’ll bet they would have gone down to the other end of the park if we had asked for a donation to cover insurance costs.
As it was they didn’t happen upon a bunch of drunken, cast wearing burn victims beating a path to the bathroom and decided to come back again the next year.

Cheers. See you down the road,
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #23
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
Yes, the TAC's BASH had a hefty Event Insurance package... We also had a form you had to acknowledge upon registration for "Hold Harmless" agreement as well.

This was all figured into the BASH fee.

It is suggested.
As I said to Frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
it's great that you and Rob had the foresight.

Smart move, perhaps you can post the event insurance broker for others to contact?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Bob perhaps you could post this question on the WBCCI forum.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #25
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Garry perhaps U should read my earlier post they have 2M per, no liability to members.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Can't

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry View Post
Its too confrontational and doesn’t contain things about flowers and rainbows ………………..
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
He Can't

Quote:
the Mods at the WBCCI Forums won't let this type of discussion occur that is why "WBCCI Bob" here!
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #28
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Emerick View Post
the Mods at the WBCCI Forums won't let this type of discussion occur that is why "WBCCI Bob" here!
See this thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...tml#post902181

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Oh yeah, the forum is closed. But before it was closed, Bob was banned from the forum, therefore the discussion takes place here.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #30
_

. , .
quick hypothetical question for those of u well meaning folks,

RESPONDING into this thread with insurance/liability info

and ideas about presonal/group protection from lawsuits.

would u...?

-share your home security measures with a fella wearing a black mask, gloves and carry'n a rope ?

-discuss fire prevention measures with peg leg sullivan ?

or

-exchange food preparation ideas with mary mallon ?

just sayin'

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
Thank You. We need a revelolution for responsibility in this Country.
Wow, somebody else thinks like I do! I preach the R word: Responsibility, be responsible for your self.

I just did a quick review of the states posted on this thread, the two posters that seem to be for lining the lawyers pockets come from one of the states with the highest taxes and most un inviting for business ventures.
Insurance should be for helping someone only for catastrophic events, not for lining the pockets of one profession.
oops, rant on insurance: Remove the all profit of the attorneys at every step, and we all could pay out of pocket for most everything, even major medical bills, and no need for insurance.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #32
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Not only am I wondering how the child fell into the fire, but WHY was he (or she) drinking?

Parents, parents, parents, WHERE is your sensibility?

Old 10-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #33
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
The little $$$**$s can't sleep without a little nip, now can they?

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I think you should probably not attend any of our rallies!
Chief
Chief,

Thank you for the first laugh out loud moment of the day.

I have hosted multiple rally events, and never carried insurance. Most people attending the rally events I have hosted in the past are all good friends who take responsibility for their actions. Fortunately, we have never had anyone have a problem at one of our rally events.

Anyone knows, if you have to be litigious, you go after the entity with the most to lose....ie...not me.

Steve
Old 10-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #35

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One of the things I've always done is to technically have folks make their own reservations and pay for their own site. I've always felt that that makes the liability on the campground if something would happen. For all intents we are picking the date and telling folks to meet up at the campground. Pot luck not much liability there... Showing movies at a specific site, again not much liability in my eyes. But then again in today's society there are no guarantees.

In a WBCCI unit, as an attendee you pay a fee to the unit (at least that how it was in my experience) that covers food, entertainment, campground etc. I think with that level of organization and monies exchanging hands, plus the WBCCI being an organization, the issue of insurance is probably makes more sense.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
Settle Down

I'm a member of the MN WBCCI unit, and TAC. The MN unit and what I've seen of the other units in Region 7 (ND, WI, and Manitoba) are pretty positive, fun people. I have to say that the griping that goes on in other units and at the top levels of the organization, all trotted out for display on any number of forums, is not helping the club. I would not have joined had I read much of the WBCCI griping threads and if I had not personally known several members who are in no way negative. I join clubs because I like to travel and socialize, which is why I'm a member of both; both offer a degree of that in different ways. To have one person getting ornery with his/her evaluation of the club he or she is not a part of is foolish. When I was in Kindergarten, our teacher told us that we don't make our own candle brighter by blowing out someone elses. Enough said.
SMPLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote