Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #141
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Parker

Parker, Nice shirt! He looks very dapper in that "wilds" tee shirt!
Hope you will all have lots of fun down there. Wish we were able to join you!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #142
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Great Shirt

Yes, I am armed and hunting for mountain oysters!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1175 2000.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	85638  
Old 08-18-2009, 10:12 PM   #143
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
Lorrie and I are thinking of coming (not officially signed up yet), but are not cooks, so actually the exotic dish thing is a real negative for us. Would it be a deal breaker to just come with a normal dish to pass?

As for the Sunset Tour, it sounds like fun, but is probably too pricey for us.
If exotic cuisine is not a requirement, we are "in". Guess I should go officially sign up.

And we might just take in the Sunset Safari after all (but need to talk that one over a little more).

I hate to go back and read the whole thread. When can we arrive? Thursday evening? Friday morning? Friday afternoon?

When is the pot luck (I assume not Saturday evening)?

And are those shirts I see able to be purchased?

Thanks.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #144
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Yes, I am armed and hunting for mountain oysters!
All the endowed swine are running for the hills now, squeeling as they go. I've heard mountain oysters are standard fare here in the south.

Quote:
If exotic cuisine is not a requirement, we are "in". Guess I should go officially sign up.

And we might just take in the Sunset Safari after all (but need to talk that one over a little more).

I hate to go back and read the whole thread. When can we arrive? Thursday evening? Friday morning? Friday afternoon?

When is the pot luck (I assume not Saturday evening)?

And are those shirts I see able to be purchased?

Thanks.
Glad you folks can join us! No exotic dish required. In fact, I think Dan said in an earlier post, to heck with exotic food assignments. Some of us are just poking around to see if we really could do some authentic dishes.

I don't remember where, but I think it was mentioned that a Thursday arrival would be possible. Check with DanB.

I really don't remember which night is potluck, but Friday stands to reason.

Tee's are at Airstream Camping
Old 08-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #145
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Pee Wee - you are a fine looking gentleman all decked out in your Airsteams in The Wilds shirt. But, Parker has the cute lady killer factor all over you partner....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #146
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Dan, Dacia, Pee Wee and all, we got clearance to join you on this rally. We'll be bring the newly renovated 60 Ambassador. Looking forward to seeing Mr. Wee for the 3rd time this year. Dacia we may have some good ideas you can use on the soverign.
Dan we were with you on the WDCU trip to Madison, with the 67 Safari. Will send in money asap.
Polishing as fast as I can.
Mossback Doug and Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60 airstream.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	85893  
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:12 AM   #147
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Awesome!

It will be so good to see you two again! I was afraid I'd have to wait until next year's CBR. Can't wait to see the Ambassador.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #148
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Counting Down...

Just a few weeks away. We're excited about this rally. I printed out the portion of the road maps we need to travel from GA to OH and we're beginning to accumulate (pack?) for this rally as well as the Cape (town) Giradeau (MO) to Cairo (IL) rally the weekend prior to The Wilds.

We've come across another special dish from Southern Rhodesia - it's so unusual that only native-born people know about it. We're keeping it a secret for now. You all will be the guinea pigs (OOPS! I hope I didn't give anything away...)

Just kidding about all that guinea pig stuff. You didn't really think...

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #149
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
OK Folks,

First off, I'd like to provide an apology. I was on vacation last week, and my work load and several personal issues prevented me from keeping up with things! I apologize for being untimely.

I'll be reviewing this thread and will try to answer some quuestions.

- First off: The food and exotic dishes are completely optional. It is only intended for fun, so please don't get stressed out about it.

- I will be continuing the country assingments! Again, I'm sorry I'm late!

- I will be arriving Thursday night LATE (ask anybody that knows me....) Please realize the wilds will be closed until Saturday.

- Please be aware that if you are on the fence about coming, please fall on the "yes" side. Without giving away any surprises, if you are a history buff or a Airstream buff, you will want to be here. Thats all I can say.

- The Monday morning following the rally, you will wish you were there. fair warning.

More answers & info coming soon.

... sorry, once last thing. Those shirts rock!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #150
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Dan,
I emailed you over a week ago (probably after you left on vacation) indicating that Lorrie and I were a "yes" to attend, but haven't heard back yet. How/when do we pay? And when is the cutoff for the Sunset Safari? I ask because we'll probably sign up after all. When can we arrive at the Wilds and when do we need to depart?

I ask, because we are trying to plan some other stops into our trip either before or after "The Wilds".

Thanks in advance!

We are looking forward to the adventure!
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 08-30-2009, 06:42 AM   #151
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
P.S. And When is the Pot Luck? Friday evening?

Thanks.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 08-31-2009, 01:21 PM   #152
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Registration Form

Some people have had problems recieving a registration form. Although this does not containg all the information, the important stuff is here in regular text format for your use:

Name: ______________________________________
Address: ______________________________________
Phone: ______________________________________
Airstream Year & Model:__________________________
Additional guests in your trailer:_____________________

Weekend Trailer Parking Fee - $15

Rally Fee (per Adult, Mandatory) - $10

Service Project (optional, per person) - $5

Sunset Safari and Dinner Buffet (Sat., Optional) (Call me to verify availability. No cancellations available) Note: Other tours do not require reservations. - $65

IMPORTANT INFORMATION!
- Please understand that services such as water, electrical power, and waste disposal will not be provided.
- Please understand that "Leave No Trace" principles will be enforced as much as possible. Please familiarize yourself at Leave No Trace !
- Pets are not permitted. Those arriving with pets will be invited to leave. This is a firm rule of The Wilds.

Please feel free to make reservation at a nearby location if you choose not to observe the above regulations. We hope that you will join us for the remainder of the program!

Please note that this is not a guided tour and that the organizers are in no way responsible for your well-being and safety. You join the rally at your own risk and are expected to be self-sufficient and prepared for emergencies and bad weather.

Mail Payment & Registration to:

Dan Bihary, 2923 N. Jefferson Blvd.
Lorain, Ohio 44052
(440) 453-9782 dbihary@hotmail.com

www.campnova.com

Old 08-31-2009, 01:22 PM   #153
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
P.S. And When is the Pot Luck? Friday evening?

Thanks.
The pot luck will probably be scheduled for Saturday Lunch.

www.campnova.com

Old 08-31-2009, 06:25 PM   #154
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
What's the word again on camping Thursday? For some reason I thought several were do so, but I can't find it in the thread.

I finally fanagled getting Monday the 21st off so I don't have to blow out there on Saturday. Life is good!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #155
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
What's the word again on camping Thursday? For some reason I thought several were do so, but I can't find it in the thread.
Also need some direction of where to go when we get to the park. We may not be as good at finding the group, as you are Dan, in the dark. (WDCU caravan)
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #156
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
A little info. that may be worth sharing:

- if you come in off 77 at the Belle Valley exit - nice road over to Cumberland but - just as you come to the stop in "town" to turn left - watch for that telephone pole that sits right on the roads edge - and I do mean right on the edge

- if you come in either route 83 or 146 - you pick up the typical country road roller coasters - nothing extreme just don't hit the dips too fast... a couple places you could see where people had bottomed out

- once you turn in Cumberland toward The Wilds - before you make the park you will see two "Rough Road" signs - the first one isn't bad - the second one - they mean it.... especially towing a trailer...

Cumberland isn't much but I think there was a small store there - if you need anything it's probably the last chance...

Take the above for what it's worth - realizing some of us are a little white knuckle towers - it's pretty country....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #157
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
OK Folks, I'm going to making a trip to the Wilds this weekend. We will be deciding between two location at that point. So, I can't provide directions yet.

In a former life, I used to manage a 1,000+ bike tour across Ohio. Trust me. You will have signage to follow!

Also please take the warning that nothing is close by! If you are able to purchase anything (especially gas) within 15 miles, consider yourself lucky. So, that late night Taco Bell run might take an effort!

Speaking of Taco Bell, I've made an executive decision that we don't need to be completely "Wild". I've ordered a Port-a-John

More updates as they come......

www.campnova.com

Old 09-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #158
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
Airstreams at the Wilds

Hi all,
I'm kinda new to all this and only an Airstream wannabe. "Foiled Again" is my big sis Paula.
I live in Ohio and have been to The Wilds. It is quite remote but a really interesting and beautiful place.
September in Ohio is usually very pretty with pleasantly warm days but cool to cold evenings. The "better to have a warm jacket and not need it than need it and not have it" rule applies.
Thanks for planning this rally. Paula and I live 600 miles apart so any excuse to get together is a good one!
Looking forward to meeting everyone,
Karen
aka prudencepb
prudencepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:58 AM   #159
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Sounds interesting - Will need lots of advance warning LOL - Both of us will be in (if we can get off).
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #160
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Update for Participants

Saturday I made the three hour drive down to the Wilds. This was done to finalize our itinerary and camping location. I met with the CEO and he is very excited to have us!

Here is a map directly to our campsite:

Airstreams in the Wilds - Google Maps

I'm going to try to descibe as best as I can. This area is a old unused scout camp. It was last used several years ago. There are NO facilities. If you happen to get cell phone coverage, you are lucky.

We will have a clean, just delivered porta john on site. I will have a limited amount of drinking water.

Fire rings are available. Please bring or purchase wood as allowed by law.

The road directly off of the main road is gravel. A red barn and white farmhouse sit on the corner to turn at. Travel up the road about three minutes. The road is actually in good shape.

You will need to make a sharp left turn into the gated campground. It is about a 120 degree turn, but you should have plenty of room.

Travel thru the first grass camping area. The gravel road continues up to our upper campground. This road is more tight with some low small branches. I'll do my best to clear them prior to arrival time. A tight right hand turn on a grade exists, but I'm fairly confident everyone should make it without problem. Turnaround space at the top is available.

The campsite itself is shaded with trees in various weird places! Please remember this isn't an RV park! Spaces are not marked, so please feel free to pick an appropriate spot. Please arrive with all tanks full or empty.

Although this isn't a campground that overlooks the great vista of the Wilds, I think we will be happy.

Here is our schedule:

I'm going to try to travel down Thursday late. Drew (my son) has a football game, so I may make a late night game, out of it and drive down to the general area and sleep at a rest area.

I've scheduled for the gate to be open at 9am on Friday. If absolutely neccesary, I can have it open Thursday.

Friday night, I'm thinking of having something ready to eat as people arrive. Probably a beans and weenies type thing. This will probably be a great time for Pee Wee to share stories also. If everyone could PM thier idea of arrival time, I could keep track a little.

Saturday will begin with the Service Project at 9am for those who signed up. The first tour bus at the Wilds starts at 10am for those electing to do a day tour.

Our potluck will be a lunch at about 1pm. We are hoping to have a special program at 2:30 ish. This will be informal, but enjoyable.

We need to be at the visitors center at 4pm for the Sunset Safari. We will probably carpool over at 3:45.

The Safari is quite long, with special stops. I'm told their is nothing like petting a rhino......

Buffet dinner is at 7:30. Fresh food and two meats. This will be overlooking the plains.

I've told them that we will probably be gone by about 2 on Sunday. This is just a guess. If anyone chooses totake the tours on Sunday, you probably want to hook up an take your trailer over to the visitors center.

If anyone wants to stay later, let me know and I'm up for adjustment!

I hope this info helps. I will be emailing complete confirmations, parking passes, and maps on Tuesday.

To the best of my knowledge, everyone that wanted to get on the Safari. This includes you Gary! (last guy)

And the Safari is sold out. But their may be some very little wiggle room. Something like running behind the bus.

For any wishing to sign up still, please contact me. We definetly can get you in.

And finally, if anyone isn't coming due to not having a trailer, the Wilds opened up a new area called Nomad ridge. Pricey, but dang it nice....

The Wilds | Visit Us | Nomad Ridge

Also note that hotels are available 25 minutes away.

Thank you to all that signed up. I look forward to meeeting you all.

www.campnova.com