Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Unfortunatley, yes. Per their website, here is a full description:

Sunset Safari Tour

Twilight is a magical time of day to experience the Wilds.

Your Sunset Safari tour begins with a buffet dinner, prepared by the Wilds' professional chef, on the deck of the Overlook Café. Enjoy sweeping views of the Wilds’ beautiful landscape bathed in the late evening sun.

Then, board an Open-Air Safari transport for a guided tour through the Wilds’ open-range animal areas when the animals are most active at feeding time. View rhinos, giraffes, antelope and other rare and endangered animals roaming in large, natural habitats as you enjoy the evening sunset.

This tour includes a stop at the new Mid-Sized Carnivore Conservation Center and other destinations for up-close learning experiences of the important conservation work taking place at the Wilds. Be sure to bring your camera for incredible photographic opportunities. Please see ADA information below.

Available every Friday and Saturday June through September.
  • Non Member: $65.00 per person (all ages)
  • Wilds Members: $60.00 per person (all ages)
As one with a growing child, I understand that this gets expensive very fast. I'm sorry, but not my call.

As an alternative, participants may choose one of these:

Safari Transport Pass

Board a Safari Transport for the Wilds' signature experience. Knowledgeable guides will take you through the Wilds' open-range animal areas, where you'll see rhinos, giraffes and many other rare and endangered animals roaming in large, natural settings. Several destination stops along the way - including the new Mid-Sized Carnivore Conservation Center - offer opportunities to explore, learn, and relax while you observe the wildlife around you. With transports running on a shuttle system, you choose how long to enjoy each destination before continuing the tour. Please see ADA information below.
  • Adults: $20.00
  • Seniors: $19.00
  • Children age 4-12: $15.00
  • Children age 3 and under: Free
  • Wilds Member: Free
Safari Transports depart regularly from the Visitor Center approximately every 10 to 20 minutes on open days beginning at 10 a.m. The last Safari Transport departs at 4 p.m. Safari Transport vehicles feature large windows and are air conditioned. Reservations Not Required

Open-Air Safari

Board an Open-Air Safari vehicle for a premium day-tour experience, providing outstanding opportunities for wildlife viewing and photography. A knowledgeable guide will take you through the Wilds' open-range animal areas, where you'll see rhinos, giraffes and many other rare and endangered animals roaming in large, natural settings. This tour includes stops at selected destinations, including the new Mid-Sized Carnivore Conservation Center. Please see ADA information below.
  • Non Members: $27.00 per person (all ages)
  • Wilds Members: $22.00 per person (all ages)
Open-Air Safari vehicles depart the Visitor Center hourly on the half-hour between 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. in the spring and fall; and every half hour between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. during the summer season.
Reservations Not Required
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #42
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Well, it doesnt look like ill be able to make it, the Tin Can Tourists rally is the same weekend. If for some reason I cant get into their rally, ill be there.
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Greetings!

I just want to make sure that although the Sunset Safari is listed in the fees, I'm only doing that as a reminder. I have been warned that it does sell out, and I don't want anyone to miss the opprotunity.

Please understand that it is entirely optional! Other tours are on going throughout the day.

www.campnova.com

Old 05-27-2009, 07:17 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
DanB- Thank you for the information about the other tours available. We found one which is a better fit for our kids.

I'm sorry we have to deny you all the pleasure of seeing 2 toddlers throw tantrums on an African Safari. You'll just have to content yourselves with the wildlife outside the bus rather than inside it.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #45
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I so wish this was going to be a summer rally so we could attend. But, this is a minimum 10 hour drive for us and with kids in school and a wife that is a teacher, dates during the school year just doesn't work for us. This sounds like it will be a truly unique rally and possibly one of the best as far as activities. I wish every one the best fun on the rally and think of us while sitting down to eat at the buffet before the African Safari.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Rally Flyer Available

Greetings All,

I've got just about everything finalized with the staff at the Wilds.

I'm now ready to accept registrations!

Attached please find a flyer for your use. If you would prefer email, please feel free to request a flyer at dbihary@hotmail.com.

The flyer is also available as a Word document or a higher resolution PDF file. Please feel free to reproduce and distribute as you wish. Thank you for not altering the file though!

I look forward to a great event with all my Airstreaming friends !
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstreams in the Wilds post.pdf (886.6 KB, 96 views)

www.campnova.com

Old 06-05-2009, 10:17 AM   #47
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Dan, I know this is a special rally to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Capetown to Cairo Caravan, but it would be great to make this an annual rally and hold it during the non-school year months. I have two school age children and a wife that is an elementary school teacher and would love to attend and participate in a service project for educational purposes, but we are over 10 hours away and would be limited to summer months if we were to be able to attend because of the wife and kids not being able to miss school on a Friday for travel and possibly travel on Monday.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
...hold it during the non-school year months
one word: boondocking

this means no A/C. We live up here...there's no way in #%$& that I would want to camp minus A/C in June-Aug in Ohio let alone subject non-residents to it. You think Florida's humid...ugh, try Ohio in the summer and you'll be begging for a generator.

Then again, I suppose you could stay at a campground nearby and get elec. or maybe you already have a generator (didn't hear you with one at Springstream, but then again, why would you have needed it?)

Either way, yeah, it sucks for people far away and w/ kids in school. We will soon be in the same boat as our oldest is 3 today! Which is why we're going to the outer banks this year in Sept. because we know in 2 years that we will have to go in prime-season.

DanB: I'm happy it's in mid Sept., I have a prayer of getting to sleep at night when the sun goes down without laying on sheets soaked with my own sweat. Nice mental picture, I know.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
1959 - 1960 Africa was boondocking all the way!

We didn't have hook ups on the entire trip. Some times our gasoline was pumped from 55 gallon drums. Definitely no A/C's.

We went through the equitorial part of Africa, we dared deep sand, and Congo forests.

Life goes on.

This is going to be a fun rally, one in the diary to remember. Thank's Dan.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:34 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Yeah, if I were really going to Africa I think I'd forego some conveniences for the experience. I've never been there, but I assume it's much less humid than Ohio summer. That alone would make it tolerable. I don't mind Arizona summer, Las Vegas summer. It's the Ohio summer that sucks.

I guess I should be considerate of people that love hot sticky weather. Personally I like three seasons in Ohio, but summer is not one of them. When it's 70 degrees plus 95% humidity overnight!!!, I'd rather have my A/C. We discussed on here long ago what date range to have the rally, and I wasn't the only one asking to wait for cooler weather.

I hope one year that The Wilds (if is becomes annual) is held in July/Aug so that our long-distance friends can come and join in the fun and that PeeWee can experience the joy that is the sticky Ohio summer and boondock it and tell us all how it comepare to Africa.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:36 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Pennsyltucky...North of Harrisburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
Yeah, if I were really going to Africa I think I'd forego some conveniences for the experience. I've never been there, but I assume it's much less humid than Ohio summer. That alone would make it tolerable. I don't mind Arizona summer, Las Vegas summer. It's the Ohio summer that sucks.

I guess I should be considerate of people that love hot sticky weather. Personally I like three seasons in Ohio, but summer is not one of them. When it's 70 degrees plus 95% humidity overnight!!!, I'd rather have my A/C. We discussed on here long ago what date range to have the rally, and I wasn't the only one asking to wait for cooler weather.

I hope one year that The Wilds (if is becomes annual) is held in July/Aug so that our long-distance friends can come and join in the fun and that PeeWee can experience the joy that is the sticky Ohio summer and boondock it and tell us all how it comepare to Africa.
Dear Jason and Andrea

I am a native Californian and Sue is a Brooklynite. As you can see we now live in Arizona. We lived in Selinsgrove on the Susquehanna River. Sticky baths, white stuff on the ground, bright green leaves, and orange and red; the four seasons. The most memorable was summer personal showers and the inpossibilty of drying off.

Sue and I understand sticky.

Have a great day.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:47 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Perhaps this is a question that can best be answered during our discussion about the African caravan at the rally, but since you're already aware of what one experiences in wonderful Midwest summers, how does the weather / climate in Africa compare? South Africa vs. Egypt, in between, etc?
Old 06-06-2009, 07:54 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Our Four Seasons in Africa

The Caravan left Cape Town, South Africa in the middle of winter, as we approached and traveled through Equatorial Africa we went into Spring Time. When we crossed the equator we were now in the fall time of year. As we approached Norhtern Africa and Egypt we went into winter.

As scheduling goes we never had a summer in Africa.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:54 AM   #54
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
OK, OK, forget I asked.

Pee Wee, you all planned well for the weather!

It's interesting looking at the photos that everyone dressed less casually than people do today when camping, yet no A/C. But then again, the majority of people state-side didn't have A/C in their homes in the early '60's...at least not in the hot, humid south.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Wow, I had no idea that the caravan took 9 months. I was bummed, PeeWee, that I was not able to make it to CBR this year to hear your stories. I am truly anxious to hear about this pinnacle of all caravanning at the Wilds.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Africa TIme Frame

Quote:
Wow, I had no idea that the caravan took 9 months. I was bummed, PeeWee, that I was not able to make it to CBR this year to hear your stories. I am truly anxious to hear about this pinnacle of all caravanning at the Wilds.
We left Cape Town in July 1959 and sailed from Alexandria, Egypt in February 1960. We went to Beruit, Damascas, Amman, Jersuleum, Ankara, Istanbul, Northern Greece, Sofia, Belgrade, and joine the 1960 European Caravan in Trieste, Italy.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
This is bordering on off-topic, but after reading that...you suck.

Here I thought after the Africa caravan that it was over and you went home to the USA. Now you tell us about caravanning Europe, too!

Seriously, if you have pictures from the European caravan, please bring them to the Wilds. Andrea and I lived in Germany 2006-7 and we traveled throughout Europe (not with an Airstream) and specifically we visited Trieste, Italy and multiple cities in Greece. I would love to compare our pictures of Trieste with yours. I'm guessing it looks a little different. Although I bet we were both moving through the same port...we boarded our cruise ship right next to a ferry terminal.

Man, I can't wait for September. Maybe Minnie's Mate had a good idea after all. I think I'm about ready to have it all earlier just to sit around and chat about Africa / Europe.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
After Africa

Quote:
This is bordering on off-topic, but after reading that...you suck.

Here I thought after the Africa caravan that it was over and you went home to the USA. Now you tell us about caravanning Europe, too!

Seriously, if you have pictures from the European caravan, please bring them to the Wilds. Andrea and I lived in Germany 2006-7 and we traveled throughout Europe (not with an Airstream) and specifically we visited Trieste, Italy and multiple cities in Greece. I would love to compare our pictures of Trieste with yours. I'm guessing it looks a little different. Although I bet we were both moving through the same port...we boarded our cruise ship right next to a ferry terminal.

Man, I can't wait for September. Maybe Minnie's Mate had a good idea after all. I think I'm about ready to have it all earlier just to sit around and chat about Africa / Europe.
My Mother brought my Dad's car to Europe in 1960. She traveled with the Caravan until Trieste, Italy. At that point we went to Venice with the Caravan. Then we left. We went to Austria, Switzerland, France, Belguim, and Holland. We sailed from Rotterdam to New York.

In 1956 I joined the European Caravan in progress. I flew from Los Angeles to Zurich. Not on a jet, but a TWA Connie.

I spent traveling time in Europe from June until October.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
DanB:

I see that you're going to have a campfire reception on Sat, so I am guessing that my charcoal grill (yes, charcoal, not propane) will be OK for my cooking of meals? I was thinking that camping on dry grass that they would say no fires / open flame.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:25 AM   #60
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
We're Committed - Sent the Money!

Barring unforseen circumstances we will be attending this rally. We are putting the registration form in the mail today. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

We are also planning to attend the Cape (Town) Giradeau (sp?) to Cairo rally the previous weekend. Back to back camping trips! Yippee!

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote