Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Small bottles- COSTCO

Hello- wondering if it is OK to use the small bottles being sold at COSTCO and Wal Mart, etc. for the BBQing crowd for RV use? I have no tanks on the AS I am resurrecting...and might need some for another trailer...and these seem a logical, safe, and convenient source. I was just wondering if they are not as stout as an RV bottle? Any reason not to other than small size? (We don't plan to do too much self-contained camping).
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
I use two on my trailer with out any problems what so ever. I hope this helps.

www.petidforme.com/105
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The 20lb bottles at Wal-Mart, Costco, etc. ARE the same ones that Airstream puts on it's units. Many of the vintage users choose Worthington Aluminum bottles which look stouter - but simply need a thicker safety ring because of the different metal. The Aluminum bottles will shine up to a mirror finish and weigh slightly less than the white painted steel ones - but they aren't as pretty. If you don't want to cover your tanks and want shiny tanks, go with aluminum.

Oh, btw... not planning on boondocking? Well be prepared to surprise yourselves. Being away from everyone, listening to the loons and crickets... and really seeing the stars.... you might change your mind.

Paula
Old 06-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
http://service.airstream.com/files/l...5419526d42.pdf

The 5 gallon propane tanks were stock on your trailer.

The main problem with the home centers and big box places for propane is that they work only on an exchange basis, so you don't get your original tank back. That means that you can't have a tank that is aluminum, has a float gauge, or is painted to match the trailer. Also, their prices aren't that great, typically over $4 a gallon.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
also note that some of the 'swap at the store' bottles are only partially filled. so, what looks like a great price is not.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
We've seen them used by a number of campers and haven't heard of any problems. The small size can be an issue when it relates to re-fill or exchange frequency but fortunately most of the larger campgrounds we frequent typically have LPG refill stations on site..

So the only other issue would be their appearance as compared a set of aluminum tanks. If it were me I'd go camping, use the 20 pounders, and keep an eye out for someone selling a set of aluminums in the mean time.

On another note. We do most of our cooking outdoors so I recently installed a quick connect on the outlet side of our regulator. This way we can plug in our two burner cook-top without the need to break the line or carry an extra tank for cooking.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I used the sams club 20 pounders on a previous trailer. They are no different than the ones that come on RV's.
We always carry a third bottle in the back of the truck so usually you can get the empty filled when it is convenient plus it can be used for a grill or whatever.
We boondock a lot and i hate to make a special trip out just for propane
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote