Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2015, 04:30 PM   #41
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
I think I need to do this soon. I think have a propane leak, and I bet I've had it since the day I picked up the trailer 2 years ago. I've used soap and water on the connections, cannot find a leak. Regulator maybe? Mine does the auto changeover, but doesn't tell me it does it. and if I turn off the gas at the tank, the regulator shows empty after 30 minutes. The gas must be leaking out somewhere. I smell gas sometimes. I told myself it's a new unit, no way there is a leak. I should listen to my nose more.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I think I need to do this soon. I think have a propane leak, and I bet I've had it since the day I picked up the trailer 2 years ago. I've used soap and water on the connections, cannot find a leak. Regulator maybe? Mine does the auto changeover, but doesn't tell me it does it. and if I turn off the gas at the tank, the regulator shows empty after 30 minutes. The gas must be leaking out somewhere. I smell gas sometimes. I told myself it's a new unit, no way there is a leak. I should listen to my nose more.
It is possible that you have a leak, even new trailers can have them, but a 30 minute bleed down on your regulator is not bad. With a leak, it is usually a few minutes.

I don't know what kind of an oven you have, but it is not uncommon for ovens to have an "off" and a "pilot off" position on the knob. If your pilot is left on, and not lighted, you will smell gas. If your pilot is on your regulator test will show a drop to empty fairly quickly. I turn my oven to the full off position except when using it. I don't need the pilot light using propane when I am not using the oven.

One other thing, as your propane tanks get down to empty the odorant in them often is so concentrated that it does not burn off with the propane and you can "smell gas". I have had that happen quite often, and thought I had a leak, but a new tank eliminates the problem, so it was just the odorant getting through the system. So, if gas odors come and go, it might be a low tank only.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:42 PM   #43
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Thanks for your encouragement Idroba. I took the regulator apart from the main gas line to the trailer last night, trying to think what I would replace. Replacing the propane line from the trailer to the regulator looked too difficult for me - getting the 2 line clips off the A frame that are riveted in would be a chore. I decided just to put everything back how it was - and I needed to buy the thread goop for a gas line since I had removed the line from the regulator. $15 for a can much too large, even if I was going to only use it once. So I put everything back together, and did a soap test to check the connection I had just put back together. It was fine. While I was at it, I put some soap on the pigtail connections to the tanks (which I had not done anything with). You can tell where this story is going, right? I found my leak! One pigtail was fine, the other blew bubbles. It wasn't exactly a bubble machine, but I did it 3 times in a row because I couldn't believe my eyes. I had looked several times in the past 2 years, and missed the leak, assuming it was leaking then, which I do. I did use a different soap this time. Previously I just used dish soap in water. This time I took the foamy soap dispenser from the bathroom. It worked.

So I got a second use out of my $15 purchase, and my propane is no longer leaking. Kind of obvious - the most likely source of a leak is the lines, not the regulator.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:53 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I am glad you found the leak. I had not mentioned the pigtails but as you found, yes, they can leak. They are under a much higher pressure from the tank to the regulator than the gas pressure after the regulator.

I have had them leak and replaced them, and found the new ones also leaked. I took one back twice, the first new one was defective. The RV parts place just handed me another one from stock and said they had a lot of trouble with leaking brand new pigtails. So, check your new ones too!
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:00 PM   #45
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A propane dealer has a better RV selection, overall, as well as better quality components if one is willing to pay for them.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
One propane dealer that I use doen't have any thing but propane other dealer only has reg. for house or farm use no Rv. but will order. I shop Ebay for pig tails other hoses reg. & make sure they are for Rv. use, plus big box stores have propane stuff, as for better quality name brands same where ever pur.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:57 AM   #47
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
"New" doesn't always mean better. Our 1999 had original and the lines were inflexible. The regulator was replaced with "switchable design" similar to original. Twice. The "new" ones developed leaks within a year.... Not too good. The RV place just buys and stocks them. One sales guy said, "I guess they aren't made for heavy use in Airstream." I thanked him and walked out.

We had the hoses also fail... Just "weeping" the LP.... So we replaced and monitor carefully.

So, yes, maintenance on your LP system is important.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote