Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2008, 12:05 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
Don't get caught transporting a refilled 'disposable' cylinder. DOT takes serious actions AFTER the fact if an incident occurs.

Also... indulge me a bit of story telling?

Fifteen below Zero. One dry-walled room in a steel shed. 11pm Friday night after a long week and a 120 mile drive to the country property.

Need to light fire ASAP, Pot-Belly coal stove. Figure to use propane torch easiest short cut. Find kit, assemble torch, lay kindling bed and wood fire in hopes to start huge-chunk coal fire from the ton of coal I knew was frozen into rock hard mass on north side of steel building. Fire lit.

Go outside to get coal, obtain precious few huge chunks, boogie back inside (leaving door open with hands full) and break a chunk into smaller ones, place in wood fire, add more wood, put large chunks in. Turn and pick-up torch, unscrew torch head toward reassembling kit box for next time.

Valve fails in cold. Five-foot plume of propane rocketing out of cylinder EIGHTEEN inches from roaring coal stove. Hail-Mary spastic backwards sidearm toss while flinching moved cylinder rocketing towards door. Cylinder finds dark spot twenty feet away at far end of room and disappears into the night. Follow cylinder out door. Freeze for five minutes waiting for building to go boom.

Not worth playing with disposable cylinders, the seals are made for only a few uses. Yes sure, the cold amplified the hazard, but who is to say if it could not happen again on a nice sunny day at a camp spot turned into a picnic for ophans hosted by nuns.

Get a 5-pound or 11-pound mini-cylinder with internal needle valve and the usual style fittings.

AMEN! Those disposable cylinders ARE useful if you're hiking, etc. But they are wastefully expensive when used on a regular basis. I also like the idea of simply using a flex hose and hooking up to the tank on your trailer.

Paula
Old 09-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #42
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Strangely enough, I bought a 20 pound OPD tank with gauge from Camping World. I wonder if there is a way to transfer the gauge stuff, or just buy the gauge stuff outright? It would save a lot of grey hair. And yes, I got it so we didn't go through a hundred little disposable bottles for our grill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	opd gauge 001.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	68110  
Old 09-24-2008, 10:18 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Ah! Terry! Could you read all of the markings on that little OPD valve? I'm looking for the manufacturer of this valve, and anything will help!
Thanks!
Lynn
Old 09-24-2008, 11:06 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Silsbee , Texas
It might be prudent to add a ground wire to the tank you are transferring to and from, the flow through the hoses will create static electricity. Just give the built up charge a safe place to go..
Craig Schrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #45
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Terry- that gauge is of NO use to me. I need one with a sending unit to signal the METER ON MY INSIDE CONTROL PANEL.

And just how does DOT figure out if one fills the shitcanable small cylinders?
They using russian spy satellites or do forum readers turn them in , or does DOT read all these threads.

Jeeze I post something to help those that want to keep their older rigs functional and this is what I get.

thanks for the tip Buell, I'll take it into consideration only cause it came from Texas, Hank Hills birthstate, yea the guy with the small ureathra.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I doubt that DOT would get too involved, but in case of an accident, the insurance company would care a lot. Meaning that they wouldn't pay a penny for damages caused by a non-refillable cylinder that had been refilled.

Lynn
Old 09-24-2008, 07:55 PM   #47
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Ah! Terry! Could you read all of the markings on that little OPD valve? I'm looking for the manufacturer of this valve, and anything will help!
Thanks!
Lynn
Lynn, it's on the dark side right now, I'll see if I can find the manufacturer info for you.
Looks like Tim is still doing okay, he's in here posting, and not running down the street emulating Richard Pryor--or is that immolating?...
Old 09-24-2008, 08:31 PM   #48
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Terry;
Me thinks you have a Manchester Tank.
My google works in the dark- you must have an earlier version,
Maybe try inverting it or transferring info somehow.

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 09-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #49
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
Terry;
Me thinks you have a Manchester Tank.
My google works in the dark- you must have an earlier version,
Maybe try inverting it or transferring info somehow.
If I turn my laptop upside down, and place it in the fridge, will all my persoanl files end up in the ice cream?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
And just how does DOT figure out if one fills the trashcanable small cylinders? They using russian spy satellites or do forum readers turn them in , or does DOT read all these threads.Jeeze I post something to help those that want to keep their older rigs functional and this is what I get...
I'll Bite.

Let us be real clear about this, there are only a billion English speaking people who could chance upon this post, 300 Million of them my countrymen. If, as this posts threads explored, you want to recharge disposable cylinders and even inadvertently 'transport' one of them you are committing a felony with up to five years imprisonment. That is the plain facts and no one had mentioned it previously for consideration.

Get a 5-pound or 11-pound mini-cylinder with internal needle valve and the usual style fittings if you want to transfer to another smaller reusable cylinder since there is no harm nor foul if you work safely.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:46 PM   #51
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
I'm confused, who are you to tell me what to do?
Please show me the law regarding the topic of your choice.
I'm guessing if it were against the law, the refill devise would be outlawed,
kinda like the cigarette thing.
Well I'm gonna do as I wish- Let me be real clear about that!!
Don't camp anywhere around me.
P.S. I'm smart enough not to live in 15 below weather.
and yes you did bite Isuggest you bite harder on your next subject.

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 09-24-2008, 11:12 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Thanks for the info.Its a good day,I learned something usefull!
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:22 AM   #53
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Easy, kids. Tim is trying to further his life experience through scientific research. He has conducted experiments, posted his findings. He has been told some of his experiments could be illegal in certain circumstances, and has taken this information under advisement. We don't need to lose our tempers, and start calling each other names. That's how threads get closed, and warnings get issued.
That said, let's sit back, and watch the show...
Old 09-25-2008, 06:25 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I, myself have "conducted research" into the filling of 1 lb propane cylinders, since the price, even at Wally World has gotten sky high. Placing the 1 # in an icy water bath works quite well, I have found in my research.

One thing to consider. The vapor pressure in a propane tank is the same, at a given temperature, if the bottle is full or even if there is an inch or two of propane in the tank. Those "gauges" that you buy and screw onto the tank are about useless. Might give you a few minutes warning, if you happen to be standing there before the tank runs out.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #55
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
read this

www.navagear.com/2008/04/refill-disposable-propane-cylinders/

well looks like I need to get a link that works, so try www.navagear.com and search -propane. that works.

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 09-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Refill Disposable Propane Cylinders! | Navagear.com
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:11 PM   #57
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Seriously, this is a crazy dangerous thing to do, and can cause some big problems.

Two people were killed recently in Toronto, when it is suspected that, during an against-the-rules direct LP gas transfer from one vehicle to another, something went wrong. There was a huge explosion, and the entire yard went up, spewing debris for a huge area beyond.

Now, just put that tank down and step back...
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:26 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Seriously, this is a crazy dangerous thing to do, and can cause some big problems.

Two people were killed recently in Toronto, when it is suspected that, during an against-the-rules direct LP gas transfer from one vehicle to another, something went wrong. There was a huge explosion, and the entire yard went up, spewing debris for a huge area beyond.

Now, just put that tank down and step back...
i stated my personal position on gas a year ago in this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...42&postcount=8
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote