Old 03-04-2015, 04:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Here ya go,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:28 PM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Thank you. Camco caters specifically to the RV market, so it's generally a good bet that a Camco product can be safely used in an RV, if installed in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations.

You have also proved my point about all catalytic heaters not being equal. From your linked Amazon webpage:
Quote:
Heaters are designed to operate with a manifold pressure (the gas pressure downstream from the appliance controls) of 11" WC (0.40 psig). In addition, the supply line must be equipped at the cylinder with a listed low pressure regulator set to deliver the specified pressure.
In other words, it's designed to be plumbed into an RV's propane system. It doesn't have its own separate built-in regulator like the heater the OP cited; it only has a valve to control the heat, just like on a propane stove; the regulator has to be at the cylinder.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Protag - thanks for being so thoughtful about your replies. One thing about an "oxygen sensor" that we should ALL remember - is "so what?" Carbon MONOXIDE doesn't need to deplete all the oxygen in the air to kill you - carbon DIOXIDE sorta does. Carbon MONOXIDE bonds with the hemoglobin in your blood and prevents the blood from picking up any oxygen while circulating through the lungs.

If you have a lovely rosy blush after a week in a trailer - those rosy cheeks are one symptom of CO (carbon monoxide) poisoning.

Once carbon monoxide gets into your blood it's only eliminated as your body makes new blood cells - or by a doctor doing transfusions. It can take months to fully recover from CO.

So - I want one of those, but I'm not dying to have one!

Paula
Old 03-05-2015, 04:39 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Hi Protagonist
Just want to thank you for your replies to my OP. Your points are well taken - exactly why I posted in the first place.
Dave
Old 03-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I need an opinion as I reinstalled my furnace in the trailer last weekend ahhhhhhh...warmth. I am also installing a Camco wave 6. I want to use the rubber (?) gas line also from Camco, from the back of the heater to a Tee installed in the line next to the heater. pros. Cons?

Thanks,

Dave

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
When I installed the cat heater in my Bambi II I mounted it in the space the old heater was removed from. I hinged the panel to access a huge wasted storage space. The local gas shop made up a flexible hose for the application. The hose was made from a material that was designed to be used in an application like this. Zero apparent wear in two years of use. I am sure that someone will quote some code or something saying that this was illegal.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
I made my Original Post because of a desire to be able to dry camp or boondock without worrying about running out of propane or draining the batteries.
2013 was our first year with the FC28. Once we almost ran out of fuel, and another time the batteries were so low I had to shut everything down. In both cases the temperature was below freezing. Granted, had we been backpacking as we used to be able to do, we'd have been just has cold.
Also, I allow that these things were in part in part due to inexperience.
In any case we'd like to avoid them in the future.
Case in point, we're planning a trip to Newfoundland late July to September. Looking at threads about NF, I see that some of the campgrounds, like Gros Morne, have no services so I want to be prepared.
As we become more experienced ASers we hope to be able to do more camping "off the grid".
Hence the OP.
Dave
Old 03-07-2015, 06:41 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
All well thought out replies, and I thank you. I will install the Wave six with the Camco Propane specific lines.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
Old 03-07-2015, 07:12 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
One thing about an "oxygen sensor" that we should ALL remember - is "so what?" Carbon MONOXIDE doesn't need to deplete all the oxygen in the air to kill you - carbon DIOXIDE sorta does.
Carbon monoxide production from combustion starts after the oxygen has been depleted to a point that incomplete combustion starts. .

Oxygen depletion sensors make for extremely safe heaters because they shut the flame off before carbon monoxide is produced.

A catalytic heater with an oxygen sensor is safer than the factory furnace because it shuts off before oxygen is deleted. If the factory furnace heat exchanger cracks, the camper will only get a beep from the CO detector after the oxygen has been depleted.
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
One thing about an "oxygen sensor" that we should ALL remember - is "so what?" Carbon MONOXIDE doesn't need to deplete all the oxygen in the air to kill you - carbon DIOXIDE sorta does.
Dangerous levels of carbon monoxide production from combustion, start after the oxygen has been depleted to a point that incomplete combustion results. .

Oxygen depletion sensors make for extremely safe heaters because they shut the flame off before carbon monoxide is produced.

A catalytic heater with an oxygen sensor is safer than relying on the CO detector because it shuts off before oxygen is deleted. If there are issues with factory furnace, the camper will only get a beep from the CO detector after the oxygen has been depleted.

Complete combustion of propane produces CO2 and water
C3H8 + 5O2 ---> 3CO2 + 4H2O

As the oxygen depletes, CO and water are produced.
C3H8 + 3.5 O2 --> 3 CO + 8 H2O
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Excellent comment Wayward, thank you.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
Old 03-09-2015, 09:08 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I don't get the allure of the catalytic heaters - my experience with them is they heat things in front of them very well, but not much else. Maybe my experience was atypical. But add in the oxygen issues and the humidity (don't they contribute to the humidity in the trailer?), plus they do nothing about heat for the tanks, and the expense and hassle don't seem worth it. And we'd still need a furnace.

I used to love the idea of having one, but now that I've actually done a lot of winter camping, I don't think it would help very much.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:30 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Skater,
I'd like to hear more about your winter camping experience: your AS set-up, length of time out, temps while out, location, etc.

While I agree that you'd need to run the furnace occasionally to keep the tanks from freezing, I would think a cat heater conserves fuel and batteries. Having a vent and window opened a crack should prevent condensation and oxygen depletion.

I've had a gas-fired infrared heater in my shop for 20 years without incident, and have been very comfortable. I can easily keep the the air temp around 65 which allows me to store my water-based finishes and glues out there. Also, I don't have to worry about power outages.
I'm thinking a cat heater for the AS would be similar.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #28
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That's a new one on me. Every trailer ever made has flexible hoses connecting the cylinders to the trailer's gas plumbing, and I don't know of anyone who filters the propane.
The folks over at Mr. Heater are selling these to the uninformed because:
1. They can make a profit doing so
2. It provides a plausible platform for them to blame "dirty gas" for malfunctions, rather than manufacturing defects
3. The various combinations of camping hoses, tees, and accessories that Mr. Heater sells are in fact susceptible to contamination during storage, transport, and setup.