Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2006, 04:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 21' Globetrotter
Pickens , South Carolina
Question Propane Problems

Hello everyone,

I started to test the LPG systems today. I hooked up my two gas tanks, checked for leaks. I then tried to light the reffer. I never could get any gas to the unit. I even disconnected the gas line right before the fridge gas valve, no gas at all. Could this be a gas regulator problem?
RobertC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:30 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Robert,
Yes it could be a regulator problem. Have you tried the stove to see if it is getting gas. It could also be a blocked line. I had a problem in my popup and the line to the stove (only propane appliance) was blocked. The rubber line from the regulator had broken down and cracked. The propane system is pretty straight forward and all the lines are exposed under the trailer. Find where you have propane and find where you don't. The problem will be between those two points.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
there's usually a valve in the line to the fridge, but it is usually quite visible in the line as it runs under the bellypan.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:44 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
there's usually a valve in the line to the fridge, but it is usually quite visible in the line as it runs under the bellypan.
Zep - Mine has a valve for the H2O heater, stove (in the stove) and the furnace. I have no valve for the frig. I hope it's that easy.

Richard

Old 07-16-2006, 06:09 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1970 21' Globetrotter
Pickens , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Zep - Mine has a valve for the H2O heater, stove (in the stove) and the furnace. I have no valve for the frig. I hope it's that easy.
Yeah , I wish it was that easy. No, I tested the stove and the water heater. I never saw a valve to the stove but I do have one on the fridge and water heater. The cabin heater is still a mystery to me, I don't know how it works, not sure where I'm supposed to light it at.

I took each hose to the regulator off the reg to see if I had flow, they do. It must be the regulator I guess

Thanks, Skip
Old 07-16-2006, 06:43 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The valve to my stove is in the stove. You fold back the top cover then lift the top surface from the front. The burner tops and all will pivot back. My valve is located under that top. The cabin heater is a mystery to me also, but it was 115 degrees today....

Richard

Old 07-16-2006, 07:21 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1970 21' Globetrotter
Pickens , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
The valve to my stove is in the stove. You fold back the top cover then lift the top surface from the front. The burner tops and all will pivot back. My valve is located under that top. The cabin heater is a mystery to me also, but it was 115 degrees today....
Ok found it, thanks

Skip Callaham
Old 07-16-2006, 08:43 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
In Pickens?

Never thought I'd see another from Pickens here
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Regulator

Hey

have any of you had to replace the regulator? Mine is frozen and the valve won't turn, and it seems wise to simply replace. I was told that a newer valve might not allow enough gas through... or something. Any thoughts on the subject are welcome

Peter
Old 07-18-2006, 08:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I replaced the regulator on my '63, just did not trust a 40+ year old regulator. Just purchased a new one at the local RV dealer. At the same time I had my propane tanks upgraded at the local propane dealer and added modern supply lines. Everything is working fine.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote