Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
Low Pressure

Just overhauled entire LP system with new dual bottle regulator, ( and 2 full 30lb bottles ) new 1/2 copper line and bought a used 80's model Magic Chef Stove that was said to be working fine when removed. Seems as if the stove is not getting enough gas. after bleeding off air, the burner and pilot light will light, but not much flame and lighting additional burners seems to rob gas from the others, not enough gas to even run 3 burners at once. I have blown out all the fittings and orfices on the stove itself, What are the chances of the little regulator on the stove being bad ? or the new bottle regulator ? any other ideas ?

Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Kev,

Certainly an irritating problem to have after all the work you've done.

The proper pressure out of the regulator is quite low, 10 - 11 inches of water column. You can measure that with a homemade manometer as described in this link.

RV U Tube Manometer

If the regulator is maintaining the right pressure on the line then the problem must be in the stove. My best guess is it's something in the stove rather than the new regulator, spider nest obstructing the gas line, or something like that.

Good luck!
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
reo
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
satellite beach , Florida
Kev, do you have a gas hot water heater or furnace? Do they work properly? If so, your duel stage regulator at the tanks is most likely OK.
reo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo View Post
Just overhauled entire LP system with new dual bottle regulator, ( and 2 full 30lb bottles ) new 1/2 copper line and bought a used 80's model Magic Chef Stove that was said to be working fine when removed. Seems as if the stove is not getting enough gas. after bleeding off air, the burner and pilot light will light, but not much flame and lighting additional burners seems to rob gas from the others, not enough gas to even run 3 burners at once. I have blown out all the fittings and orfices on the stove itself, What are the chances of the little regulator on the stove being bad ? or the new bottle regulator ? any other ideas ?

Correct LPG pressure is 11 to 13 inches of water column pressure.

However, if you travel the mountains, then the best pressure to use is 12.5 inches of WCP.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I had much the same problem once and tried the same "fixes" you have described. I had checked the LPG pressure, found it was correct, and knew I had to have some sort of obstruction somewhere in the lines. It wasn't until I took apart the gas lines in the stove itself that I cured the problem. At some time when the stove was stored a wasp had crawled into the propane line and died, firmly wedged into a fitting in the stove. Trying to blow out the lines was unsuccessful. I removed the wasp, re-assembled, and the stove worked perfectly.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
Thanks to all, I took apart all the lines today and blew them out, and while I could see no obstruction, there was certainly something in the lines somewhere. Not sure how, it was all brand new lines and fittings, but this fixed the issue. Still might have to replace the overn thrmostat, but I can live with that !
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote