Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2019, 08:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
1972 29' Ambassador
Las Vegas , Nevada
How to test the whole system?

Hello everyone. I was wondering how you go about testing the integrity of your LP Gas system.
We are in the process of cleaning up a '72 International Ambassador and i want to move on to testing the furnace and refrigerator, but before i do that i need to be sure that my gas system is good to go.
Do i just hook up the gas tanks, open them up and sniff around for leaks???
What about the furnace, im not even sure how u are supposed to tuen it on...
Any and all help/comments are greatly appreciated!
Swrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Ideally you'd pressure test the lines by turning off the valves to all of the appliances and plumbing the line just beyond the regulator for a valve, an air line, and a pressure gauge, then pumping the line up to 30 PSI to see if it holds pressure overnight.

I didn't do that though. I turned the gas on and got busy with a spray bottle filled with dish soap and water..... meticulously checking every joint.....

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:00 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
1972 29' Ambassador
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Ideally you'd pressure test the lines by turning off the valves to all of the appliances and plumbing the line just beyond the regulator for a valve, an air line, and a pressure gauge, then pumping the line up to 30 PSI to see if it holds pressure overnight.

I didn't do that though. I turned the gas on and got busy with a spray bottle filled with dish soap and water..... meticulously checking every joint.....
That's not a bad idea, of course since the oven and water heater lines are disconnected i would have to cap them off, but other than that it should be pretty straight forward. I already have a pressure gauge laying around that I can use. Just need to look at my gas connection and see how I can split that.
Ofcourse this will only check for leaks, finding them, if there are any, will not be fun.
Swrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Do what J. Morgan described.
Then fire up every propane appliance in your AS one at a time: water heater, furnace, refer, cook top.
Then after you have confirmed propane at every point of use, and after you have turned each propane appliance off, turn off both propane tanks.
24 hours later, turn both tanks and confirm that you have immediate ignition at each point of use.
This is a field expedient way to determine if you are holding pressure.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote