Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
First Cold Camping Trip

Hi, I'm new here. I'll be using the Airstream for the first time this weekend in cold weather. I'm hoping to not have any trouble lighting the furnace. I should still have two full propane tanks. Any advice?
Grrrwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Turn on the heater before you leave to make sure it works. Buy a CO detector. Will you have full hook ups at the camp?
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Oh, and welcome to the forums!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Welcome aboard!

Test the furnace and water heater ASAP. That way you will know status before you leave. Better to ruin a trip than have it ruined once you arrive.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
If you have a power hookup at the campground, use an small electric heater. Save your propane.

I do yoga to relieve stress, just kidding I drink wine in yoga pants
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
All good advice. I might add that only the furnace will protect your tanks and water lines that are under the floor, in the belly. The furnace will have a duct into that area. Only a concern in below freezing temps.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASwifey View Post
If you have a power hookup at the campground, use an small electric heater. Save your propane.
Welcome to the forum.
Most often I use a ceramic heater. When I use the furnace (or hot water heater) I first light one of the burners on the cooktop to ensure that I have gas to the furnace.

Check out everything before you leave and then you can relax and enjoy the trip.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
A few years back we switched to one of those oil filled, radiator looking electric heaters and we really like it. It is bigger, a bit more cumbersome, but it is silent and even when it cycles off it still radiates heat. It is on casters so we can roll it around some, up front when we are sitting on the couch, then back towards the bedroom for the nite.

In a 34', no electric heater will do it all but the radiator heater subsidizes the furnace and IT IS QUIET!!!!

John

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Old 11-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I installed a 30 amp hook up to plug into and I have an IR heater, but at least three people will be sleeping in there this weekend. I'm still winterized and won't be using the toilet or water tanks until I understand her a little better. I'm a little concerned about any CO issues and even basic lighting procedures. I appreciate the encouragement!
Old 11-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
Furnace Instruction

Can anyone tell me the life expectancy of the stock furnace on a '77 31' sovereign? Thank you all!
Old 11-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
One more thought...

regardless of the heat source, we always crack open a window (the bathroom for us) to let in some fresh air, which helps minimize fogging windows and provide a safer sleeping enviroment from the furnace/co2.

John

Old 12-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' International
Austin , Texas
We've gotten a serious cold snap in Austin 26 degrees. Haven't winterized the trailer it has full tanks as I just got back from Big Bend last week. How do I check for damage. I thought the Heat Pump would work but below 40 degrees it shut off I think. Got the heater turned on now. Last night was below freezing, I'm concerned about damage.

Sorry not meaning to hijack this thread. I'm still learning .

Tom
h8rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
First a question… Though it got down to 26°F, how long did it stay that cold? If it was all night, that's one thing, but if it was just an hour or so before dawn, that's something else altogether. It's not just the temperature, but the duration, that determines if your freshwater system freezes.

First thing, make sure the temperature is above freezing, and has been long enough for anything that might have been frozen to thaw. Then start up your pump, or connect to municipal water to put the system under pressure. Then trace all of your pipes wherever they can be made visible, and check for evidence of water where it's not supposed to be.

If you have damage, you'll have leaks. That's what ice does, it expands and breaks pipes and fittings. Corollary, no damage means no leaks.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' International
Austin , Texas
It has been below freezing all night and forecast to remain below for two or three days.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Turn on and set the furnace for 40*. You will be OK.

John

Old 12-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
H8Rain,
What I would be concerned about is the waste valves hanging below the trailer. They can freeze and crack. Running the furnace will protect what's inside the trailer- open the cabinet doors if you are running the heat low or using a heat source other than the furnace (which ducts heat to the waste tanks). Dump the tanks as soon as you can. If you can't, I'd suggest adding a gallon of RV antifreeze to each tank to lower the freezing point of the waste in each tank.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Get to a location where you can dump the tanks and have 120 volt power available. Use a heat gun or hair drier. Warm up the dump valves and gently try to open them.
Since the BW will take a lot of freezing to cause damage, you may be able to empty the tank without any damage. You may not be as lucky with the GW, but at this point, you don't have much choice.
Once emptied, pour 1/2 gallon of RV. Antifreeze in the GW and BW tanks. The stuff is cheap.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' International
Austin , Texas
Thanks to everyone for the help!

Pink RV antifreeze (with the cold snap) was immediately out of stock at Walmart and everywhere except Camper Clinic / Dealer which is almost $10 per gallon! Cheap compared to the damage that could be caused for sure.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #19

2008 23' International CCD
Tampa , Florida
We're in cold weather too. Our third night in KY and we had a frozen gray tank this morning. So a few quick questions:
1) So I've added a quartz halogen on a little stand under the trailer? Is that ok. About two feet from the gray tank
2) I'm running just furnace now too. Hate the heat pump ... I've got plenty of gas for we're on our last two days and still have gas in both tanks ... so question, doesn't the furnace keep the tanks from freezing?
3) I have a little anti freeze in both tanks (gray and black) and added 1 gallon of washer fluid because everyone was out of RV antifreeze ... I know washer fluid is bad on the seals but didn't want to risk a freeze.

I think I'm set. And yes, water hose is disconnected from the trailer (23' flying cloud) and very little in both tanks since I dumped both this morning.

Frustrated no book really covers this and the manuals aren't so great. [edit] Let's just say "vague." :0) Sorry.
Boxfotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #20

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Not sure about the light but the gas furnace will heat the underbelly and holding tanks. There is a great book that helps a bit more than the manual.

http://airstreamlife.myshopify.com/p...o-airstreaming

Stay warm.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote