Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2016, 12:00 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Camper Propane Explosion (not mine).

Yesterday the beautiful teardrop parked next to us had some sort of propane leak and blew up. Thankfully no one was in it. Evidently a the valve that allows propane into the water heater was stuck open and when it tried to light to warm the water it exploded. Sounded like a canon went off. Poor family; this was their maiden voyage. It's repairable, but will need some major work.

This shook me up. My family and I (wife and two little kids) live full time in our renovated '79 Excella and I'd like to limit our risk to the same kind of accident we witnessed with our teardrop friends.

We have 4 propane burning appliances: Stove/Oven, Furnace, Water Heater and Fridge.

We have 2 propane detectors: one in the main living area; one next to the furnace. Both are just alarms.

I'd like to add a couple more to places where propane could leak and be ignited:
  1. Water heater cabinet
  2. Area behind fridge
  3. Area near stove (though the existing common area detector may suffice)

I would like to do more than just "detect" the gas though; I'd like for the offending appliance to be shut down (no more ignition source) when the alarm sounds. This is assuming that when power is cut to the appliance, whatever gas valve is open closes automatically (need to confirm that's the case).

Anyone know of an alarm that can facilitate the goal?

The "SAFE T ALERT CO/LP DETECTOR W/SOLENOID CUTOFF VALVE" looks like it might be able to accomplish what I'm trying to do. Perhaps I could re-purpose whatever connection is uses for the intended solenoid shut-off valve to cut power to the propane appliance instead (or maybe even in addition to)? Thinking something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-10-31 13_56_48-Presentation1 - PowerPoint.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	274592
trekerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It's a great idea. Sounds like you're elected to be the guinea pig. Let us know how it goes!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
The family's first trip...that's unfortunate. Hopefully they try camping again. Glad your ok
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Trecke, I used a similar device in my cruising sailboat. They are mandatory to meet SOLAS inspection requirements for commercially used sea going vessels and are commonly used by most boat manufacturers. You can find them at West Marine and other marine suppliers.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekerboy View Post
Yesterday the beautiful teardrop parked next to us had some sort of propane leak and blew up. Thankfully no one was in it. Evidently a the valve that allows propane into the water heater was stuck open and when it tried to light to warm the water it exploded. Sounded like a canon went off. Poor family; this was their maiden voyage. It's repairable, but will need some major work.

This shook me up. My family and I (wife and two little kids) live full time in our renovated '79 Excella and I'd like to limit our risk to the same kind of accident we witnessed with our teardrop friends.

We have 4 propane burning appliances: Stove/Oven, Furnace, Water Heater and Fridge.

We have 2 propane detectors: one in the main living area; one next to the furnace. Both are just alarms.

I'd like to add a couple more to places where propane could leak and be ignited:
  1. Water heater cabinet
  2. Area behind fridge
  3. Area near stove (though the existing common area detector may suffice)

I would like to do more than just "detect" the gas though; I'd like for the offending appliance to be shut down (no more ignition source) when the alarm sounds. This is assuming that when power is cut to the appliance, whatever gas valve is open closes automatically (need to confirm that's the case).

Anyone know of an alarm that can facilitate the goal?

The "SAFE T ALERT CO/LP DETECTOR W/SOLENOID CUTOFF VALVE" looks like it might be able to accomplish what I'm trying to do. Perhaps I could re-purpose whatever connection is uses for the intended solenoid shut-off valve to cut power to the propane appliance instead (or maybe even in addition to)? Thinking something like this:

Attachment 274592
I have worked on many motor homes that use this type of solenoid based cut-off system. The solenoid is placed directly at the supply line from the LP source (tanks). If I recall (and my recollection might not be correct), it is placed between the tank outlet and LP regulator, but that will be clear from READING THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS.

This positioning will stop ALL LP from lowing past the supply tank in the event of a detected LP leak when discovered by the LP detector. This is required as a leak could possible pool LP around several appliances, and any detected leak will shut the entire system, not simply one appliance. In my opinion (and that of the device manufacturer) 100% of deg LP supply should be terminated at the initial detection of a leak by the sensor.

A great addition to your safety devices!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Seems like very cheap insurance! I am going to check this out! Thanks for sharing and hope your neighbors are ok and back on the road soon.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
This positioning will stop ALL LP from lowing past the supply tank in the event of a detected LP leak when discovered by the LP detector. This is required as a leak could possible pool LP around several appliances, and any detected leak will shut the entire system, not simply one appliance. In my opinion (and that of the device manufacturer) 100% of deg LP supply should be terminated at the initial detection of a leak by the sensor.
Thanks for the feedback Lew!

I agree that shutting off the LP supply makes sense, however I think it is also necessary to take it one step further by shutting down the offending appliance's power. My reasoning is this... if a appliance is malfunctioning and leaking propane, I don't think it is enough to just shut off the propane supply since the leaked gas is already present; if the device sparks (ignitor) then even if the gas supply is off it could still ignite the leaked gas already in the compartment.

Does that make sense?
trekerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:15 AM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Not many details I can offer but a friend posted a pic of the generator bay in a high end MOHO and it had a fire extinguisher mounted with a heat sensor that made it discharge in event of fire.

Looked interesting for spot coverage of fridge for example.

My mileage does vary.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Nashville , Tennessee
Keep in mind that propane is heavier than air. If the appliances using it are vented low and to the outside atmosphere and do not have a place where the gas can "pool" or collect near an ignition source, the chances of an explosion are greatly minimized. The use of systems to both alarm and shut off the supply is important as well...and doubly so for appliance not directly vented to the outside.
2016 Flying Cloud 25 FB with stern mounted Fiammia Bike rack. TV is 2006 LBZ GMC 2500HD with Gale Banks Engineering engine package. 40 gallon Aux. diesel tank. Front maneuvering hitch. Rancho XL shocks. WBCCI 5173
RobH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
So good to read all the useful advice about safety. I just dropped out of a vintage rv club because safety was basically not mentioned at all and if you brought it up you got slammed by other members. That's why the forums are great. Safety first on here, how pretty your old trailer is is secondary.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
All Airstreams have the water heater on an outside wall, sealed to keep propane from entering the cabin. The flimsy aluminum cover is essentially a relief panel and the small amount of propane that could be trapped inside the cover would just distort the aluminum and relieve any pressure. Before my water heater had a new "improved" control board installed, the water heater would occasionally have a loud bang when the spark finally decided to kick in. Never enough gas to bend the cover but it was loud!
jcw
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I would mention that all the propane appliances of an Airstream, with the exception of the range, vent the burner area directly to the outside.

The burner area of the furnace, fridge, and water heater are isolated outside the living space.

Only the range has it's connection to the gas line and burners inside the living space.

A little maintenance and understanding goes a long way toward safety.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #13

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
CHICAGO , Illinois
Seems like a mandatory safety measure if you ask me at minimal cost to ensure nothing catastrophic happens. I'll be keeping this on my list of features to include when I get my new AS.
Galacticos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:05 PM   #14
honi soit qui mal y pense

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
More info desired

I am curious if you might know the answers to these questions regarding the "teardrop" trailer.

1. Was the water heater or propane system recently serviced? If so was it performed by a qualified professional?

2. Was there a working propane detector on board?

3. Does the designed location of the water heater on a "teardrop" trailer prevent pooling of leaking propane?

Thanks.
2016 Chev Silverado LT Crew 4x4
Robere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:45 AM   #15

1988 34' Excella
Monteagle , Tennessee
Why tear drop has these systems? Was this an after market add?
Tyndale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Good question, lots of these teardrops are homemade or have owner add ons. Some are very old.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:13 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
As mentioned by JD, the furnace, fridge, and water heater are vented to the outside and are (or were originally) sealed from the inside to prevent the intrusion of carbon monoxide. The detector depicted by the OP is designed to be mounted inside. While detection of LP gas inside is a good thing and shutting off the supply is a good enhancement, it might well not have prevented the incident reported by the OP. Separate sensors would be required in appliance's external cavity.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote