Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #121
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I am not a member of this organization and really do not have time to be a member and participate. I only have limited times I can camp and when I do camp I am not hitting the road until 6:30 P.M. on a friday night. We have to get home by Sunday afternoon to get ready for work the next week.

I spent a good part of my life teaching vocational eduction so I was always getting information about the work force. One important research fact I learned was the amount of leisure time we have today has been cut dramatically. I would think many young people are not able to join because they work longer hours and do not get that many days off. I know since I was placed in a new school I get home 1:30 later then last year. I get to work at 6:30 A.M. and I leave at 5:00 P.M. and it takes me atleast one hour to fight traffic. My wife is not a teacher and she only gets two weeks each year.

Lothlorian

Brian
Old 10-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #122
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
I hear what your saying Brian, It is very hard for people in my age group to be able to join the Club, and be active, I work 2 part time jobs, and go to college 4 days a week, but I try to always find time to camp!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
Congrats on the 2nd VP position, Airedale! I know you'll do well!
:-D)
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #124
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Thanks, Ill try to do my best!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #125
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
virginia beach , Virginia
you know what, I still haven't put on my WBCCI numbers even though I have them and may not even put them on.
we went camping this past weekend and i was the second airstream there and we just had a blast with all of our other non AS fellow campers. I did n't have to worry about the broken door lock or any other details on my camper. No votes or mandatory meetings, club politics. We just camped and had a great time.
WBCCI #02579
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:22 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Give the club a try first. You won't find many issues at a Unit Rally. We enjoy camping with the unit, with Air Forums members (club and non-club), and with non-Airstream friends. We'll be out the next 4 weekends in a row (both still working, 2 kids in school).

Some folks put their numbers on plexiglass and place it in front and back at a rally. Not exactly regulation, but they won't yell too loudly.

Matt
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:42 AM   #127
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Ill be there Leo! I cant wait to see you again!

Old 10-21-2008, 08:25 AM   #128
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
I believe that it is up to the current membership to seek out, encourge and support younger Airstream owners to get involved. This must happen at the unit level. I am proud to report that my daughter, Sara (15 this December) is hosting a WBCCI NEU Rally next year. Now that is cool! We are finding more and more members who want to rally but under their terms, fun, relaxing, educational, kid & pet friendly etc. It is so easy to make the fit for younger families, too bad International hasn't figured it out. They will once we fill the rank and file with fun loving family members.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
I have two kids - 16 and 14. They are always looking for other teens in the club! Hope she is headed to Madison. My kids aren't quite up to hosting a rally.

We are hosting a couple of "campouts" this winter in GA. They aren't official unit functions, but should be a lot of fun.

In this club we are considered a "younger family". With 2 teens and 2 pets, looks like we fit the demographic. Bozeman was our 2nd International and we had a blast!

Matt and Beth
GA Unit.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #130
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Guess I missed you at Bozeman, hope to see you at Madison!

Old 10-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #131
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Oh yes, Now I remember! Gosh Leo, what would I do without you, Carol was with us as well, remember LOL?

Old 10-22-2008, 06:57 AM   #132
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Congratulations on 2nd VP Laura. I know you'll be great fun and energized for the position. They are fortunate to get you.

Bozeman...Sedgeway...can you say "Whoa?!"

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:14 AM   #133
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
What are you talking about Carol?

Old 10-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #134
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I mean young people in the WBCCI especially as units leaders have energy and new ideas and can breathe lots of fun into the events. I know you are a good choice, not a bit of doubt about that. The two rallies you hosted this year alone prove that! Keep up the good work. I'll be joining twice over when you get to be the International Prsident. I would say we are due for the youngest and female officer at the top, how about it? hint hintLaura for president!!!!

photography
Old 10-23-2008, 09:21 AM   #135
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
HA, yea right, ill do it right after Leo!

Old 10-25-2008, 08:55 PM   #136
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Just returned from Laura's installation as 2nd VP of Metro Detroit, you go girl!!!! I was so inspired and hopeful about young people in the WBCCI that I left off on my MAL status this year and signed up as a unit member of Metro-Detroit.

photography
Old 10-26-2008, 01:43 PM   #137
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Excellent!

Laura is already having impact!

Matt
1st VP
GA Unit
Old 06-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #138
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Hello everyone, I know it has been awhile since I posted on this thread! I cant tell you how much has gone on since October. However, one thing hasnt changed, my motivation to try and help the club that I love.

As I spend hours getting my trailer for the International rally being held in Madison, WI this year, I have come to see that such an effort goes into putting a rally of this size together. I stress out when Im hosting a small forums rally, let alone the biggest rally of the year?!? My goodness. I have worked so hard over the past month, between work, school, and getting ready for the trip I have been looking forward to all year, that I know I couldnt put one more thing on my plate, so I wonder how working adults, with families..etc.. can do it?

Getting ready for this rally has given me a new since of respect for working men and women. How much work goes into getting yourself ready is hard enough as it is with a couple days off before hand!

I hope that I have a great time, wish Im sure I will, but I wonder also, how younger people like myself who are still in school.....if there are any, do it? I come home after spending hour of polishing and other things, then go to work on homework, and do as much housework and packing I can before work. How do people do it? Is there something Im missing? Do I need to start sooner? Either way, I know that camping is just a hobby for myself, and I need to stay focused on work and school.

But I do have an idea that could get more younger adults that are members of the club to go to International, or even a larger bonus to renewing their membership. Why not offer a student discount? Students most of the time are known for being broke, why not give a discount? This doesnt even have to be for younger people, adults go to school infact I have one that is the same age as my mother in my class right now! But why not offer a small discount with proof from your school that you are enrolled? What do you think?

Thanks for the input!

Old 06-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #139
Tech Source

2006 22' International CCD
Pleasant Shade , Tennessee
Hello from an old young member, we belong to the Region 6 Memphis unit for a number of years, that is to say my family did. We joined in our mid 30’s with 3 children in tow and went to our first Unit Rally in late March using my Fathers 27’ and an S10 truck. We learned a lot both about the ‘Old Members’ and towing that weekend (truck was bad idea and didn’t do that again). We learned a lot and friendships were made because the members were willing to help us learn and we needed all the help we got. After my Father’s death in 1999 we left the group and sold all the Airstreams, but stayed in contact with a few members who are now gone. WBCCI is not only what it offers you but what you have to offer it, that is offer its members. We, my wife and I, offered help with computers while others offered help with my plumbing and even my hair cut a few times.
This weekend we go and get a 1994 Excella 1000 34’, and yes I have the correct tow vehicle this time. The children are all grown, the baby is in college now, so I guess I join the ranks of the old…..like hell I am I’m bringing my Harley and going to have fun and help some people along the way. Yes the marketing of the WBCCI is lacking, the sponsorship of dealers and manufacturer would help (hey he owned the company, dua that’s why it worked in the beginning), but it may take them having to learn the lessons that Harley Davidson did and in comparison Airstream is still a young kid.
mdyeargin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #140
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Hello all, I thought I would update this considering Im back home from the WBCCI International rally in Madison, WI. I had a great time, saw old friends again, and made some great new friends! However, there has been a lot of talk about the WBCCI and people are getting their emotions get the best of them. I know how this is, because sometimes it happends to me as well. Who doesnt it happen to, but the important thing is, we have a club that we love/hate all at the same time. The WBCCI is a good club, it just needs some changes to make it a great club. I have always had this saying that has caused me to get involved in changing things when I dont like them. If your not involved in whatever you have a problem with, then you need to get involved and change it. If your not a member of the WBCCI because you dont like something about the club, then you have no right to complain about how the club is. Join, and make a diffrence! I have done this with becoming the 2nd VP of my unit, and plan to do the best I can do to make everyone happy. But I cannot forget my views of somethings, and feel I must be vocal about it! If the club had better communication, things could change drasticly! So get involved in your units, tell them how you feel because you are more and likly not the only one that feels that way. Debate only makes a club stronger!