Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #21
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
The "Blue Beret" regularly runs ads for an air ambulance service. Nuff said.
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:12 PM   #22
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Too funny!!!!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:10 PM   #23
Rivet Master

I agree!

I agree. When I, my wife and my six year old daughter use our Airstream, we hang out next to the campfire, I knock back a cold one, relax and let my daughter play with other young kids "her" age and know there's other parents watching her, as I help watch their kids. I have a a blast watching her playing with lots of other kids, riding bikes, playing in the dirt/sand, doing arts and crafts, etc...

Oh yeh, I forgot, I do this at every "WBCCI WDCU RALLY". She was helping me get the 66 Safari ready tonight for the WDCU Cherry Blossom Rally saying she could not wait until we go camping to see her friends!

We attended our first WDCU Rally when she was 3 months old. As a young family, it's been the best thing we have ever done!!!
Old 04-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Gang,

The Wisconsin Unit WBCCI Wisconsin - Region 7, Unit 116 also has a lot of activities oriented toward younger members with kids. All Wisconsin Unit rallies are kid-friendly, and each year they plan one or two "Camp Airstream" rallies specifically for kids.

Like Paul says, it's great--the WBCCI "village" can mind the kids while the parents and grandparents relax together.

See you down the road,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:40 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' Globetrotter
Eaton , CO
GenX, GenY, Baby Boomers, etc.

My husband and I are among the youngest members of our Unit AND our chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. (We're 35 and 37.) We've always been welcomed and urged to take on leadership positions in each organization. It seems to us that the veteran leaders know that others will need to take the reins someday, and they've got to start sharing that leadership.

I'm wondering whether a lot of us in the GenX and GenY age groups just aren't "joiners" in the sense that Baby Boomers+ are. Many of us didn't necessarily have parents who were involved in the Elks, Lions, Rotary, Bridge clubs, etc., and many of us ARE more independent and into the "me" thing (not social or organized clubs). The idea of having meetings with rules-n-regs is pretty unfamiliar and uncomfortable for a lot of us.

That being said, I think that if young/new members attend meetings and rallies with open minds and maybe with a mentor to explain the whats and whys, they can enjoy and appreciate the fellowship,the organization, and yes, even the "quaintness." It also helps if the long-time WBCCI leaders recognize that many GenX/GenY individuals value shared input decisions, want purposeful change to move ahead, and want to be looked at as equals (not kids).

Just my observations.... this is an interesting thread with some great points of view!
59 GlobTro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Airdale,

I don't disagree with your statements but would like to expand upon them. Many young people are struggling with cash, a few likely are not. But don't forget that many older and not quite so oldler people aren't exactly flush with the stuff. Life situations change and there are certainly those that haven't even had the opportunity or the inclination to amass savings as much as others their age.

Secondly, I tend to look at WBBCI in sections. There is the international governing organization and there are individual units. Yes there are the by-laws, etc but each unit has it's own individual flavor. Our unit is very welcoming to families. So far there are three families with young ones that come on a regular basis. The kids have a great time and so do the adults. Hopefully we will get more. The Internationational Organization doesn't actually do much to encourage families, from what I have seen. I keep hearing, "You should go on a Caravan!" But: Most of them are during the school year. They last longer than some of us have vacation time allowed. And NONE so far that I have seen have activites geard toward young families. Occasionally one says a particular campground has kid friendly ammenties, but there often isn't enough to keep a young child entertained for more than a few days, let alone a week or WEEKS that a caravan stays out. Some of the unit rallies themselves are geared toward kids and that is just awesome. Others aren't necessarily geared to the kids but for a weekend, they can keep entertained fairly well.

You can't assume that every unit is the same. We checked out a rally that a unit nearish to us was having. The rally fees were way too high for our blood AND they had an additional tack-on for an expensive (to us) catered meal or two. The unit to which we belong has reasonable rally fees and the supplied simple meal or two is included in that fee. There are good potlucks. Sometimes as a group they go out to eat but we just hang back with those that don't wish to spend the extra bucks (usually the ones with kids) and it is no big deal!
Old 04-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
1977 27' Overlander
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
New members and younger members are what keeps the club lively and active, and evolving at a modern pace. FRESH! Long-standing members (not leaders) give the club validity and guidance. If you don't have new and younger members joining in then you don't go anywhere.

I'm in my mid-40s. I joined the WBCCI because I was carried-away with the history and nostalgia of the club. And the historical leadership of Wally Byam enticed me. (I, like many, have wanted an AS since I was 14 or so and in 2005 I got my chance. Then while researching restoration information I came across the WBCCI and VAC.) During the past 3 or so years there have been serveral, what I would call, crazy ideas that have come forth. Most of which have been justified as potential member-getters.

I think that the WBCCI leaders pays too much attention to themselves and not enough to the rest of us, nor the potential members out there. Self-serving not progressive. The WBCCI needs to have a 'Strategic Positioning' session and invite everyone to the table. Then, perhaps, they would understand who it is they currently are and who it is they could potentially become. -- I'd be happy to conduct such a meeting if they would be willing to schedule it! Modern thinking is that if you're taking up space and not willing to move and re-shape to the ever-changing landscape, then you have to step aside and let the new entity fill the voids. I think that the WBCCI is stuggling with this very concept.

There are also several things that they could do to broaden their horizons with regards to running the club and conducting business. These could all be begun with one simple action: 'Think outside the box!' But others, that I don't see happening, are things like the leadership attending seminars on member-supported and volunteer-run non-profits and then implementation of new techniques for retaining current members, getting back old members and mining the fields of potential new members.

Perhaps this seems like a daunting task for what could be considered (even with a dwindling membership) a large membership base. This is where a good 2-page positioning plan would come in handy.

For all the 'bad' that is going on in the WBCCI, there is still so much good.

I joined -- became proud -- got frustrated -- worked hard to stop crazy ideas from taking hold -- tried to volunteer -- tried to volunteer again -- and finally found a niche where I could contribute and make a hopefully positive difference.

I think that if you want to join then you need to, because without you we can't take it all the way. If you were a member, but got discouraged, come back and work with us to make it what YOU want it to be.

I love to wear my blue beret. And, I think every member should get one for joining!
WALLY54 1954 Cruiser #11281
Buttercup 77 Overlander #17330
1990 345-LE MoHo Classic #7830
Air #
WALLY 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59 GlobTro
I'm wondering whether a lot of us in the GenX and GenY age groups just aren't "joiners" in the sense that Baby Boomers+ are. Many of us didn't necessarily have parents who were involved in the Elks, Lions, Rotary, Bridge clubs, etc., and many of us ARE more independent and into the "me" thing (not social or organized clubs). The idea of having meetings with rules-n-regs is pretty unfamiliar and uncomfortable for a lot of us.
Glo,

You are certainly correct. Some (not all) of WBCCI's problems result from generational differences which are causing problems for all kinds of participatory organizations--fraternal, service, church, etc. If you would like to see a scholarly study of the matter, by all means read Bowling Alone, by Robert Putnam, who lays out the facts with stark clarity. BOWLING ALONE

Disclaimer: I don't necessarily agree with Putnam about solutions but his book certainly helps to understand the problem.

Cheers,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WALLY 54
I love to wear my blue beret. And, I think every member should get one for joining!
I agree!!! I wonder why they don't sell them at the WBCCI store???

I'll be in Jackson Center next Tuesday and plan to stop in and ask.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:11 PM   #30
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Steve, how long are you going to be in Jackson Center? Ill be there in 3 weeks for a rally!!!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:04 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw
WBCCI is a club of and for older people, or, those who think and act like seniors. Nothing wrong with that, but, that's the way it is. Super nice folks. The marches, the jackets and caps and badges, the anthems, all right out of the Lawrence Welk era. Ceremonies taken very seriously by those involved. But, OMG to someone witnessing for the first time.
Entertainment at bigger events is of second tier cruise ship quality.
The structure, rules, and limitations serve a purpose, but, can also be stifling. Working folks need to be able to arrive after hours and set up. Not sent to the dungeon or whatever it's called. If you forget to wear your name tag, no one should comment. If your trailer is parked a bit crooked. who cares.
Also, younger folks want use of the amenities that come with an AS. 3 amp electric is not OK. 30 amp around the clock is really nice. Lots of electronics to run and AC and coffee, and, who goes to bed at 10 pm?
Relaxation, flexibility, and adaptable structure.......add these and the campers will come.
Oh, and dinner hour is never 5 o'clock, unless you are retired I suppose.

Tom
Please, please remember.....NOT ALL OF THE UNITS ARE LIKE THAT. I do apologize for the all caps thing, but come on...if you join are you only intending to go to the bigger regional/national things? Individual units are individual. Join a unit that does things you like and don't go to the big stuff if it annoys you. Everybody keeps saying it...join, encourage people like you to join, eventually the majority will change and so will the behaviors. Let them have their fun for now but help be a catalyst for ADDITIONAL activities that include ones for families!

BTW - Who cares when people eat their dinner? Is this really an important issue?
Old 04-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Moderators: Would it be OK to start a new thread that will work sort of as a working list that identifies which WBCCI Units are family friendly? No unit bashing allowed. It would list Unit Name and Region, and why that person likes or recommends that unit as family friendly. It would include a notation saying that one cannot assume that a units absence from the list means it is unfriendly to families since that unit may not have any members on Air Forums? The thread may help others find a unit they like!
Old 04-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Interesting thread. I guess it comes down to evaluating what you want to get out of a club. We kind of like the social aspects of RVing and have had some of our best times when there were lots of others to share activities with. It turns out that some of these times were at 55+ RV parks that let us in anyway. My wife and I at the time were 32 and 34 respectively. There is a certain decency about that older crowd that is refreshing and I have never seen younger folks as active as some of these older groups are.

There are two WBCCI units in the state, the 4CU and the arizona unit. I cut a check to the 4cu folks as they seem to be the more active of the two. I'll let you know how that works out. Back maybe to the point I was attempting to make (I actually have one ), I sent dues to a classic chevy club for years and was a minimal participant, just did not do it for me and I eventually dropped my membership. I did not get anything out of that club but I also did not put anything into it. The stubby end of this is that you get out of something what you put into it. I doubt that age has much to do with it, probably its just a particular groups acceptance of new members and new members willing to participate.

Ok, I misspoke there was not much of a point, but I did get my 100th post and I really did cut the 4CU folks a check as their Quartzite ralley was a blast. Participation is key.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:05 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
I have been following this thread with much interest.

I have just recently re-joined the WBCCI, and I am somewhat disappointed to hear the comments about the less than family-friendly image the club has acquired.

When I was a youn boy my parents traveled extensively with the club. We attended many rallies and caravans. Wally Byam was at several events I attended, and I don't remember any of this "old folks" attitude. In fact, many members brought their children just like my foks did. I still have Rally pictures from the 1950's & 60's, and the average age is much younger than currently described

I have recently purchased a vintage Airstream and re-acquired our original number 1200. This is very nostalgic for me.

Even though I am now 60 years old, I don't like being around people that think "old". I enjoyed Airstreaming because you met interesting people that had a young adventurist attitude (like Wally). If the club has truly evoled as described, I will continue to pay my dues to retain #1200 for nostalgic reasons and travel alone in search of people like I used to meet at Rallies.

I hope it doesn't come to that.

Mike Brumback
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:44 PM   #35
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_RedSHED
a working list that identifies which WBCCI Units are family friendly? No unit bashing allowed...
this reads like the ideal thread idea...

for the wb' website.

my read of this thread is that it is primarily about young ADULT members,

with or without kids.

others have started some similar streams of thought...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...uth-17057.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ers-18491.html

now on the 'families' issue there are several too...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...endly-379.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...nfo-26989.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ent-21490.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...nfo-26989.html

the likelihood of any given unit being "friendly" to any given demographic...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...units-968.html

children, pets, singles, gays, smokers, gum chewers or republicans...

really is determined by the makeup and % of folk IN the unit with that interest or need.

a 20 member unit with 19, 80 year olds, and ONE young family, might be 'friendly' to the kids...

but that's doesn't mean they'll have much in common or events geared toward the one family.

there is a long string of posts here somewhere about a family or 2 being treated badly at the minnesota a/s park....

so we AND the wb' can learn from the negative and bashing posts too.

ne1 know why THIS thread was closed? it hardly looks menacing 2 me...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ack-33989.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:43 AM   #36
Cyclist

Windermere , Florida
Participation in an organization is key, that is if you think the organization has a prayer of evolving. Older members really do want young blood involved, and, many aid in actively recruiting, but, it's to perpepuate the club as they value it.
I think that serious moves at the top to really show that they know the future of WBCCI is in trouble would go the furthest in generating new membership.
Reallly shake things up.
Some suggestions:
1. Change the name. Or add a catch phrase. " It's not your parents WBCCI."

2. Get rid of the incredibly hokey ceremonies. Hello, no one does this type of show any more. The god awful getups, the marching, the dignataries. Yuk!!

3. If you plan on having a tap dancing harmonic player in for entertainment, then balance it out. Ask Fiddy Cents or an American Idol to perform.

4. The military like structure at rallys must change. What gets things done in an organized way does not always translate into fun.

5. Emphasize the camping. Bon fires, story telling, weanie roasts.

6. Modern amenities are a must for many folks now. Yes, there are still happy boondockers out there, but, more would rather have full use of their electronics and blow dryer etc. 24 hrs per day. 30 amp all the way.

7. Develop some new interests. There already is a radio club at most big rallies. Why not some others, perhaps a sound system group. Who can get there AS booming the loudest. Or, some athletic competitions. A mini olympics with things like power walking, a bike obstacle course, swimming, archery etc.

Finally, remember that you can't please every one. Saving the WBCCI for the future will likely alienate those who now hold the keys. But, it's evolve or die. If you can't adapt, your done.

Tom
Two big screens
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
I'm a "boomer" in my 50's and just attended my first rally - I was the youngest there and it was cool to feel like a teenager again! The group was welcoming and inclusive - except for the ear-muffed elder who attacked my lack of name badge. Yes, the rituals and ceremonies are way out of touch with "my generation" for sure - but the club has survived this long because of our shared passion for Wally's vision. I'm sure the club will continue to evolve as each generation passes through its membership - and hopefully will reflect more on Wally-style FUN and less on pomp and circumstance.
pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
1977 27' Overlander
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Beautiful Blue Beret!

Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
I agree!!! I wonder why they don't sell them at the WBCCI store???

I'll be in Jackson Center next Tuesday and plan to stop in and ask.
I was fortunate enough to get an original felt blue beret. It is a real beret. My husband, Tim, found one on-line and won the bid at the last minute!

The hats that the IBT and others are currently wearing are a lighter blue cotton twill material and they don't exactly have the shape of a real beret.

If there is any possibility of getting a real beret back, or perhaps a patch that can be purchased separatley, I think it would be wonderful. I do love Wally's original 'safari' hat, as well. I don't think that the 'military-style' coats do anything for the club. They represent an unaproachable aura. But, the original berets are nostalgic and historical, and really do represent a world-class travel appearance that is both intriguing and identifiable. Very friendly.

Please let us know what you find out!!!!
WALLY54 1954 Cruiser #11281
Buttercup 77 Overlander #17330
1990 345-LE MoHo Classic #7830
Air #
WALLY 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:48 AM   #39
Cyclist

Windermere , Florida
Change can evolve through the generations. It also can occur via actions that ensure growth. Also, as our history shows, it quite often is the positive outcome of rebellion.
I've been involved in many governance and leadership groups. They all pretty much function the same, unless specific design mandates otherwise.
The head will always protect itself at the expense of the tail. The good ole boy and good ole gal networks are alive and strong. Even though those participating in such will swear it's not so. So, how does an organization prevent such? First of all you operate in the " sunshine." Every bit of business conducted in the open. You restrict nominating committes. They function primarily to weed out candidates who "are not like us." You stipulate that key governance positions must be representitive of minority or alternate views. You set up a separate bylaws committee. It reports only to the membership.
Open communication is extremely important. WBCCI should actively work to eliminate most of the paper. Registration for events needs to be electronic. A detailed Bozeman agenda etc. should be available online. The President should be required to run a blog.
I'm not hopeful for much improvement. Too many people have a vested interest in the status quo.
Tom
Two big screens
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:55 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WALLY 54
I was fortunate enough to get an original felt blue beret. It is a real beret. My husband, Tim, found one on-line and won the bid at the last minute!

The hats that the IBT and others are currently wearing are a lighter blue cotton twill material and they don't exactly have the shape of a real beret.

If there is any possibility of getting a real beret back, or perhaps a patch that can be purchased separatley, I think it would be wonderful. I do love Wally's original 'safari' hat, as well. I don't think that the 'military-style' coats do anything for the club. They represent an unaproachable aura. But, the original berets are nostalgic and historical, and really do represent a world-class travel appearance that is both intriguing and identifiable. Very friendly.

Please let us know what you find out!!!!

You can buy real felt berets in any good hat shop or online. Look for Basque beret and you'll find what Wally probably wore back in the day. Most are black, but if you are lucky you'll find them in navy blue and possibly brown and grey. They also come in different diameters. Most are 9.5" or 10.5" but some can be had with up to a 12" diameter. Forget the leather trimmed military berets, they aren't the same thing and just don't wear the same.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote