Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
west hills , California
WBCCI - worth it?

I'm a fairly new AS owner and have not been terribly impressed with what I've heard about the WBCCI. The Vintage Airstream Club kind of piqued my interest a bit but I'd have to join WBCCI first. I'm hesitant to join and am just wondering if there is any compelling reason to do so? Would I be missing out not being affiliated with these groups?
Thanks,
Roxanna
krikles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by krikles
I'm a fairly new AS owner and have not been terribly impressed with what I've heard about the WBCCI. The Vintage Airstream Club kind of piqued my interest a bit but I'd have to join WBCCI first. I'm hesitant to join and am just wondering if there is any compelling reason to do so? Would I be missing out not being affiliated with these groups?
Thanks,
Roxanna
Roxanna,

There are several threads and many, many posts on why to join or not join. It basically boils down to meeting people in a local unit or units which you enjoy being with and ignore the national politics. My reasons to continue my membership are in post 55 in this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...t-32303-3.html
You are welcome to join El Camino Real, a unit with a vintage attitude. The September rally is a caravan to Utah, the October rally is in Borrego Springs, the November rally is in Buellton and the December rally is our installation rally and luncheon in Oceanside.

Please let me know if you would like additional information about us.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Well there are so many reasons to join, so many reasons not to. There are many threads already in progress on this very issue. Try doing a search of the threads and you will find a million. Here is one for example http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ber-29230.html

It really depends on who is in your area. Every WBCCI area club has a different personality. You sometimes just need to go to a few rallies to figure it out.

Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:50 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We belong to, and stay with, WBCCI even though we don't agree with some of their tenets. We feel that the only way effect change is from within. The old guard will move on and change will happen.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #5
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Thanks,
Roxanna
Roxanna-

Welcome, and yes I believe you would be missing out! WBCCI has lots to offer on the unit level. As a whole, the organization is going through some tough times but nothing that prevents folks from making new friends, seeing new places and sharing with fellow AS owners as only we can. I have always wanted to own an AS and have those wonderful red numbers and I am happy I did. Sandi and I have had nothing but wonderful times with all our AS friends as can be attestd to by our Airstream Wedding! Get in touch with a unit in your area, join up with them for a rally and you be the judge. Any unit would love to have you as a guest.

Rick
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
_

. , .
Quote:
Would I be missing out not being affiliated with these groups? Thanks, Roxanna
hi roxanna and welcome to the forums....

would you be missing out?

in a word yes.

like missing out on a root canal...

from dr frank sangster...

'compelling reason to join?'

in a word NO

never step into a pool-pah!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman

would you be missing out?

in a word yes.

like missing out on a root canal...

from dr frank sangster...
You have a way with words 2air!

I joined last year to see what it was about and will not be joining again this year. Everything I want and hold dear to Airstreaming can be found right here on the forums.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Roxanna,

I think I understand why this may be a tough decision. It was for me because I'm not a club type. The last club I belonged to before WBCCI was the Boy Scouts in the 1960's, and even that didn't work out too well. For what it's worth, should you decide to join, enjoy the camping and the comaraderie, and ignore the BS and politics. In the short time I've been a member, I have met some amazing people and have made what I consider to be, some lifelong friends.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:21 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Although I dropped out in frustration a year or so ago, and have not been happy with the shenanagins at the national level since, I'm about to rejoin simply to get access to the VAC, and hopefully attend the Rocky Mountain VAC rally next year. We attended in 2004 and it was totally worth it. There are some really great units out there, and the VAC folks in particular know how to have a great time

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Speaking for myself. I enjoy the WBCCI at times. I participate in Forum and WBCCI rallies. Why limit myself?

There is a ton of fun to be had if you are with the Unit that fits you. Each Unit is different so you gotta shop around. The International aspect of the Club is really unimportant most of the time.

Go camp with Bill's (WKerfoot) Unit. They are an enjoyable and active group.

You'll never know unless you try and you can usually try withpout joining the WBCCI.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Thanks,
Roxanna
Roxanna,

I am sending you a little rememberance of why the WBCCI exists. It is what you put into it.

To have fun one must travel down the Airstream heritage.

Wally Byam as a youngster herded sheep. From this task he grew fond of the outdoors. After leaving the publishing business in the late 20’s and very early 30’s, Wally combined his enthusiasm of the outdoors with a new industry the trailer.

The evolution began.

Wally had his problems. The doors of Airstream were closed several times. The war came along. Tough times weren't over. But an innovative form of travel gave Airstream a shot in the arm, and was the incubator for the WBCCI and that was the 1951 Caravan to Mexico and Central America.

Wally always believed in his product. IT was made for the open road. To go where you wanted to go, to camp in your own home, away from home.

The Caravans through early 1955 were open to all makes. The January 1955 Caravan was the largest peace time evasion of a foreign country. 500 trailers, 500 families a truly major undertaking.

Wally not only had a following of Airstream owners from the Caravans, but he was a favorite of all Airstream owners.

Caravans took several months. They were fun. But how many Caravans can a person take a year? How do you see your friends? Just what to do?

The Airstream owners took over. They told Wally, “Let’s form a club.”

And they did, in 1955, when Helen Byam Schwamborn joined the Airstream family and a club was formed in Nova Scotia.

That the history. A rather wordy introduction to have fun. We're getting there.

At this point we know that Airstream is the prime mover for fun. The second part of this is friendships.

The power of the Caravans and the Clubs is companionship and participation. When you belong to the WBCCI each member has or should have a part in the Club. It is a fact those that keep busy, stay happy. That’s why the volunteer and delegations of Club responsibilities is so central for the success of your Club. Guess what? When you do things for others and yourself you have the satisfaction of making others happy, and the pride of knowing that you were a part of this participation.

To have fun. Own an Airstream. Belong to a Club. Be a friend. Participate. Take pride.

I just returned from a speaking engagement with the VAC group in Breckenridge, CO. Let me tell you they have fun. They are friends. They have bonds. They are organized. And they know the spirit of the Club…”to have fun!”

This may not be the answer you were anticipating. But “to have fun” is a logical progression from the first time Wally camped out and it goes right on through to today. People make and share fun as a community. Go for it!

See you on the road.

Dale "Pee Wee" Schwamborn
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Roxanna,

You will get alot of posts on this subject - some negative - don't let the negative ones stop you from forming your own opinion of an organization with such a rich history as the WBCCI.

An organization such as this IS what YOU make of it. Unfortunately, I cannot be as active a member as I would like - work and making a living is hurting my camping desires. But, I am a mamber - a Member-at-Large. And will be as long as I have an Airstream and enjoy the company of others that have simular interests. I also participate here and at Forum Rally's, they are lots of fun.

PeeWee is a great person to get the history of the WBCCI from - he knew Wally and has a good understanding of what this club is all about.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote