Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2003, 11:51 AM   #101
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
here's a thought: I wonder if you could get the numbers made up of that static-cling vinyl stuff. then you could just slap 'em on for rallies, peel 'em off afterward. no glue or permanent number to wreck the finish underneath...but at the same time, you could keep the old-folks from getting their "depends" all in a bunch.

I don't think the berets would bother me so much if the people knew how to wear them. the pics I've seen in the blue-beret indicate that they don't. I don't think I saw a single portrait of any of the grande poo-ba's in the last issue that had one on right. boy, do they look silly.

I wish they never put numbers on mine; the results are etched into the finish...looks like hell. other than that, the skin and clearcoat on my trailer is in nice shape. but the shadows of at least 2 old wally-numbers is a real eyesore, and the only way to get it off would be to polish the trailer. (which I am not about to do).
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 01:19 PM   #102

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by chuck
here's a thought: I wonder if you could get the numbers made up of that static-cling vinyl stuff. then you could just slap 'em on for rallies, peel 'em off afterward.
The lady who runs the Yahoo Airstream list did just that. She drove down to Sarasota this spring and slapped them on after she parked. She had the numbers put on a piece of static cling plastic so it was just a matter of placing the plastic square on the front end cap. Unfortunately they blew off in the first big wind. Problem was if you don't get a completely tight seal as soon as the wind hits an opening the thing blows off.

I'll probably eventually stick mine onto a piece of clear plastic and hang them from something out front.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 02:22 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
If it's just a matter of having to put the red numbers on your trailer...we've seen folks that put them on either plexiglass which slides into the window frame or directly on the window itself.

For the record...we don't have our numbers on yet (after polishing) but nobody has ever made a comment at either our local or regional rallys. It is a good point as far as being an identifier at a large rally as "markjoandall" mentioned.

Shari
Attached Images

InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 03:27 PM   #104

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by Stefrobrts
For us though, one of the best things about clubs is as a way to meet people. My Unit has their annual business meeting coming up. I guess we should go and see what they discuss and what they might intend for next year. Maybe we can help influence them to throw in a few more shorter rallys for the working stiffs :-)
Yep it would be good for you to show up and give them your ideas. Usually the officers start looking at next years plans in a few weeks.

To take your first point just a little further, Patty and I were just astounded at the energy level and attitudes of the older folks in our unit. Obviously the organization and their Airstream are attributes in them staying active in their senior years. There are folks from our unit in their mid 80's who as a matter of fact are up in Vermont right now with their 34' Limited.

Patty and I have been loners most of our camping life with maybe a once a year campout with 1 or two other families. So we are pretty much not used to schedules, formal activities and some of the other things that go on with the typical unit rally. One thing that WBCCI offers is the aspect of family (we have gotten close to some of these folks) and the reality that as we get older, it may not be in our best interest to travel on our own. The organized activities keep many of these folks active and you know it just may add a few years to our life. That family is there to help you on the road, and also at home. That means a lot to these folks.

So while we may lament the age differences, I think both the young and old can survive in the same unit. The key is go to the functions you enjoy and pass on those you don't. And if enough of the younger ones stay in, you can organize activities that meet your expectation ala, the Midwest rally.

One other side line, as we grow older we all end up taking a pill here and there for something. One of the funniest episodes occured last year when one of the members ran out of a medication. It ended up we found that at least 5 other folks were taking the same thing and could lend a dose. Just shout out your need and someone there is taking the same drug. Nice to know we are sharing comman afflications!

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-26-2003, 03:30 PM   #105
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Numbers

You would have thought, since day one, that AS would have made provisions for WBCCI numbers on the coaches. A removable panel, maybe, such as you see on city transit buses.
Mine are not on, not sure if they ever will be. The red sticks out to much.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 04:26 PM   #106

Fenton , Missouri
Re: Numbers

Quote:
Originally posted by Pick
You would have thought, since day one, that AS would have made provisions for WBCCI numbers on the coaches.
I don't think that Wally was overly concerned about the number shadows when the organization first started out. If you look at some of the locations and the conditions he took those trailers through, the left behind of the numbers was probably the most minor blemish on the trailer!

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-26-2003, 06:31 PM   #107
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Re: Re: Numbers

Quote:
Originally posted by jcanavera

I don't think that Wally was overly concerned about the number shadows when the organization first started out. If you look at some of the locations and the conditions he took those trailers through, the left behind of the numbers was probably the most minor blemish on the trailer!

Jack
Ditto that! BTW Jack, say hello to Patty from both Brandi and I.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 06:37 PM   #108

Fenton , Missouri
Shall do! I'll PM you later.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-28-2003, 06:46 AM   #109
2 Rivet Member

Great comments, gang! Has given me some 'food for thought'.

Being new to the Airstream community, we joined WBCCC and attended a Region Rally this past Spring in S Texas. I don't remember what the cost of the rally was -- but what did catch my attention was there were no rates for just weekend attendees. So if you are a working family - want to come on down for the weekend - you are welcome, but you will pay full price! That did it for me. I'm not at all interested in a group that goes out of their way to exclude younger folks (I'm 68, retired - not a problem but we need young folks!!!). This was a big turn-off for me.

Now, that said, what does work for my wife and me?

Check out the long thread about the "Forum Rally" in New Mexico! This was fantastic! All ages - all backgrounds - happy hours - campfires - pot luck - name tags by Jessica (you have to have been there to get your name tag by this young lady).

Will I attend another Forum Rally? You bet!!

Just my $.02

I forgot to mention another group - Escapees - now there is a group that puts on some fantastic Rallies. Everyone is welcome - from 45' Prevost motorhomes to 16' Scamp travel trailers and pickup truck bed campers. Long hair - bald - beards - single - married - kids -. Well, you get the point. Would recommend Escapees. No, they are not just for full-timers..

Escapees have two main rallies each year: Spring in the Western US and Fall in the Eastern USA. Cost was something like $50.00 for the full week (dry camping) - and I remember they had open doors on one day to allow all the local community in at no charge. Something like 50 seminars - MANY door prizes each day - etc. No charge if you have no rig - but you need to register. Last one we attended was about 3 years ago. Seems we are always busy with something else. Too much to do; so little time to do it in. Someone that is more active in Escapees can jump in here and help out.

Again, my $.02

don
Old 06-28-2003, 07:32 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Just curious, Don. Do the Escapees rallies have daily or weekend rates?
Old 06-28-2003, 07:42 AM   #111
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
FWIW - our unit has changed its rally dates to work more for working folks like me. Probably has to do with me being First Vice President, then President next year. We also don't charge the full fee for those who can't stay the whole time. So hopefully over time more and more units will do this.

We need the Newbes and Seasoned folks to make the club happen.

As far as numbers go, I don't have mine on my unit because I polish mine each year.

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 09:39 AM   #112

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Johansen

As far as numbers go, I don't have mine on my unit because I polish mine each year.

Ken J.
Ken, glad to hear you aren't posting the numbers. I know I had a real guilt trip at the Regional rally when the issue of numbers not being on trailers came up during a motivational speech given by a Regional VP. I am going to come up with an alternative to display them when at rallys since it is a problem if folks want to find you. I've pretty much decided however, with no more guilt, that I will pass on sticking them to the Safari. I know it will keep it much more attractive and an easier sale in the future.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-28-2003, 12:53 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I may hear it about this, but I would not put numbers on even if it had clear coat and all I did was wax each year.

I would be interested if you come up with something - my plan for now is just put them on a piece of plexiglass and up them in the window. I've heard of others attaching them to a piece of aluminum and screwing to the front and back caps - get get to excited about that either.

Ken J
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 06:26 AM   #114
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Talking

Ok, guys... here's the solution to the numbers ghosting problem...

Most of us can't afford new trailers... as a result they have the ghosts of two or three numbers on them... so it's no big deal!

Just sell your new trailer, buy an old one and the problem's solved! No new spot to spoil!

Ok... I'm just jealous... I'll admit that I wish this was a dilemma I faced. But since it isn't , I just put my numbers over the old ghosts. You can hardly tell...

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 08:00 AM   #115
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Prorated

Our unit has also adjusted rates for weekenders only.

I am looking forward to the return of all of the folks that attended the international rally. I am certain that ther will be plenty of rave good and bad but I suspect that there will be more good.

Kinda hard to compare an Airstream exclusive club event to a "AOB" (Any other brand) event though.

It is safe to say that any other other camping club was derived from the WBCCI being that they were the first

I would attend events sponsored by anyone but I know the difference in a Chefs choice restaurant and a buffet I have eaten at and enjoyed both.

I will be going to buffets with my expectations not quite as high as a Chefs choice restaurant. Rally on!

smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 09:11 AM   #116
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by chuck
and the only way to get it off would be to polish the trailer. (which I am not about to do).
Come on Chuck! You can do it!!

Believe me, it is the only way to get rid of them! Even after stripping the clearcoat I could still see the ghosts.

I haven't put my numbers on yet, the wife isn't crazy about them, I lost the Phred Sez instructions and my decision on keeping my membership is still up in the air. I see no real advantage to being in the WBCCI, the newsletters are pretty stale and for the most part end up in the trash can.

(Sorry Wally, RIP)

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 07:52 PM   #117
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
numbers

We just came back from the international rally (a little early because I have to work tomorrow). I felt a little guilty about not posting our numbers on our trailer. My solution was to purchase two pieces of plexiglass 18X36 and posting the WBCCI emblem and numbers on the plexiglass. I then put the plexiglass in the front and rear window. Worked fine.

What a fabulous experience to visit the international rally. Almost two thousand trailers, motorhomes, etc., and all interested in the same thing. Airstreams.

In the two days we were there, we saw the parade of flags, went to a White Mountain Unit Social, visited with our neighbors at the ralley and shared our experiences, and went to a Region 1 lunch.

I learned about the little stars you may see on trailers next to the WBCCI emblem. Each star represents 5 years in the club. A fellow two trailers from mine had seven stars on his trailer. Now there is some real history with airstream. A man sitting next to me at the luncheon has been airstreaming since 1972. This is his second airstream, a '94 thirty four footer. His first trailer had over 125,000 miles on it.

My suggestion, join and experience the club.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:57 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Aaaah, I can get stars in my crown. Whoopee

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 09:24 PM   #119
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
We debated about whether or not to put numbers on our trailers, but my polishing experience with our Tradewind made the decision for us. At some point - not all that recently, I think - it had numbers that were removed prior to us buying it. When the trailer was still quite oxidized, the shadows were barely noticeable at all.

However, when I polished the trailer, the shadows became really obvious. The numbers actually altered the aluminum a bit, but the round Wally stickers did the most damage. They actually left large "cracks" in the aluminum that can't be polished out at all.

For the pre-1968 trailers, I like the solution Shari pointed out, wherein a sheet of Plexiglas with the numbers applied is slid into the front and rear windows. But for the later trailers, I don't know...
Midamrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 10:05 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Lightbulb

Quote:
...a sheet of Plexiglas with the numbers applied is slid into the front and rear windows. But for the later trailers, I don't know...
Another thought...put them directly on the window. They should be easily removed with a razor or Bestine without any problem...

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote