Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2007, 11:25 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, can't we all get along? Airstream can make anything they want or relabel anything into an Airstream. The auto industry has been doing this for a long time. Ford Courier / Mazda, Chevy LUV / Isuzu, Hyundia / Mitsubishi, and Isuzu Rodeo / Honda Passport and the public still bought them.
If I were to separate all of the Airstreams, I would just make two groups. 1. Traditional rivited aluminum bodied trailers and motorhomes.
2. All other Airstream badged trailers and motorhomes.
I can't afford and never will be able to own one of these massive motorhomes; To me they are just luxury homes on wheels. And I can't consider that camping. We consider our trailer as a convience or replacement to motels and a home base to allow us to GET OUT into nature. If I want something overly large and comfortable I can return to my plaster box mounted on a dirt lot.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:53 AM   #42
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree, Thor stock is solid and has been since day one of going public. If you take a look at the other 800# gorilla in the industry, Fleetwood, it's not as pretty of a picture. This was taken from the yahoo finance site. Thor is one the left, Fleetwood, on the right. Thor seems to have gone public in the late 80s. While Fleetwood seems to have went public in the early 80s. Though I clearly don't agree with the decision to label another brand an Airstream, for whatever purpose, one can clearly see that Thor, though not perfect, has been doing most of the right things since day one if you look at the stock price trend....it's mostly upward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fle.png
Views:	108
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	31028   Click image for larger version

Name:	tho.png
Views:	115
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	31029  

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:07 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I think it is a little naive to assume that the Thor Corp. would make a large corporate decision like introducing a new model line to satisfy fifteen folks in the WBCCI higher echelon. Further, I would not want to assign that much power to those fifteen folks, to turn the heads of a billion dollar corporation for their own needs. There have been many good posts to this thread, like the one stating all of the re-badged autos and the one about the Westphalia. So much talk has been made about dealer service, our local Airstream dealer refuses to service my Ohio factory built Airstream because it is too old! I take it to an SOB dealership.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:17 AM   #44
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Great points CK......karma your way....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:33 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
"A [Mandalay] by any other name is still a [Mandalay]" Or in this instance, an Airstream.
Or how about this: When is an Airstream not an Airstream? When it's a Mandalay!

-Jamie
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:50 AM   #46
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
Or how about this: When is an Airstream not an Airstream? When it's a Mandalay!

-Jamie
Very good riddle.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #47
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
GT65, regarding your action, it seems to me that the first target is the club itself. If it's a way for them to grab more member, let them know that they could lose more.
I copy your letter but I added a phrases that let them know that if I can't live without my AS, I can live without the club.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:46 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
So can we expect another name change proposal? Wally Byam Airstream/Mandalay Owners Association?
And what about when the Mandalay Travel Club hears the news? Will they be voting on whether to allow Airstream/Mandalay Owners into their club? Are they at this very moment preparing for a potential hostile takeover bid by the WBAMOA? Oh, the excitement is building!

-Jamie
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:28 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
First let me say that I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm not a member of WBCCI and don't expect I ever will be. I also don't have any opinion about what RV someone else should have or prefer. I don't think people should knock other people's preferences in order to justify their own, but I guess it is human nature.

What I don't understand is this. WBCCI is an Airstream only club right? The only reason I can think of to have a restricted membership is so that members have the experience of "airstreaming" in common. If that isn't the case, why should membership be limited? Why not admit HR, or Monaco, or Prevost owners?

Assuming that there is some "airstreaming'" experience to be shared, what is it? Seems like it used to be "semi-monocle construction aluminum trailers" then "semi-monocle construction with aluminum walls", then "manufactured in Jackson Center", now its going to be "purchased a product made by Thor that Thor decided to call an Airstream".

Maybe this illustrates why the WBCCI is loosing members. Seems like there is less and less in common between members and especially between members and officers.

I understand the desire to be inclusive but it seems to me that the shared experience between members which once was centered around a unique product has been diluted to the point that perhaps the club should admit any interested party?

None of this has anything to do with whether Thor can call a Mandalay an Airstream. Of course they can, and it may be a good business decision. It seems to me that has nothing to do with the well being of WBCCI.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:53 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Back in the 80's John Deere commissioned the Yanmar Corp. in Japan to make a line of tractors under 60 HP for the consumer market. These Jap-Tracs were targeted to the small farm/ranch/suburban market. The engines had a Yanmar model/serial plate on the engine and a John Deere model/serial plate on the tractor. Many folks cried, "It's not really a John Deere!" But, they were very successful models and have held their resale value. Deere stock has about tripled in the last 5-6 years.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:17 PM   #51
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
here's a copy of the email I send to my president unit :
"what could worry me are those words "great potential membership".
If to keep WBCCI in shape every kind of Thor Industrie product labeled Airstream will be a part of the Airstream brand, I'm not sure the WBCCI spirit will be safe, if just a sticker is enough to make a product an Aisrtream, why not go with the truck camper or other (you can take a look at http://www.thorindustries.com/rv/ to see all the products) which may bring even more member.
I don't want to say that WBCCI has to be exclusive, or an elite club, but there's other club that are open to all brand.
Regarding the Class A, I would have preferred a justification linked to the fact that Airstream doesn't manufacture any MOHO anymore.
If there's not enough members it's not because of the lack of sale. Airstream seems to be a good shape company, so if new owners don't apply it's for other reasons. I think that the IBT should work on that, because I don't know why MOHO owner would join the WBCCI more than the Trailer owners.
It's not a question of product.
So the next Rallies will be just a regular campground...
That's my point and everybody can go against."

my blog

Old 01-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #52
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
take a look at that link to see who is abble to join the Mandalay Travel Club
http://www.mandalaycoach.com/travelc...avelClubQA.pdf

Let's remember what Wally said "Let's not make changes, let's make improvements"

Also, Jim Haddaway, past president of WBCCI : "part of the fun of being an Airstreamer is you have the icon. It has become an American icon. And people recognize it immediatly"

my blog

Old 01-04-2007, 03:17 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I was at a campground four yrs ago when an enthusiastic camper came up to my Classic Moho, very happy and proud to tell us he too had an Airstream.
We went to look at it and it was a Landyacht. Well ...he was as proud of that icon as he could be.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #54
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
someone talked about Fiat and Ferrari... cause Fiat owned Ferrari.
I bet you a 28' SE 2007, (my wife like it) that at the Ferrari Club event you wont see any Fiat...

my blog

Old 01-04-2007, 06:00 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
I think what we have here is typical human nature. It won't affect me so why should I give a damn. Wait until Thor decides to put the AS name on their Dutchman or pickup camper line. All I know is, my square box MH was manufactured in Jackson Center using the same people and manufacturing complex as the shiny ones. We love to travel and camp with ours and consider ourselves like anybody else camping, regardless the size or price of the unit.
Happy traveling and camping
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
so what if they put the badge on the Thor, in reality it will not hurt Airstream any more than the Land Yachts, the Squarestream, the diesel pusher,the skydeck,the Argosy or any other different product "hurt"...
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:11 PM   #57
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
bfred, don't get me wrong, as far as the unit is built by AS, there's no reason to me not to make those units eligible to be as a part of the Club.
For the same reason Mandalay opens his club to the unit built by mandalay, refer to the link I posted before.
But if WBCCI is an open club, or kind of, I prefer go to Godd Sam, or Escapee. At lest they offer a more lot.
And regarding the letter sent to president unit, the idea of the IBT is to increase the membership.
And I don't know why Mandaly's owners would be more interested in being member of WBCCI than Trailer's owners,
That is just completly stupid.
I apllied to WBCCI because, may be it's stupid, of the history of the club, and what have been done, not for what it has to offer.

my blog

Old 01-04-2007, 07:59 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
New Airstream MotorHome

Those of you who have received the Save Wally messages know there may be treason afoot. If there is, I will beginning a campaign to impeach the IBT members. When will these self righteous power ........ get it.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:28 PM   #59
Certifiable

. , .

I will no longer allow my self-esteem to be a mere plaything of the rich and famous!

For too long I have allowed others to define for me what is cool, hip, in.

I am finally breaking free of the chains that bind me!

Hear ye! Hear ye!

I do not own an Airstream. (Did I just say that?) I own an Argosy!

Versailles, OH is my true Mecca. It has got to be a good 30 miles away from Jackson Center. The only things my beautiful Argosy has in common with Airstreams are the design, aluminum bodies, construction methods, cabinetry, appliances, hardware, windows, dealer network and a label that says "Argosy by Airstream."

I'm keeping the secret decoder ring.
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Off Topic?

Hi, this may be off topic, but mentioned several times through out this post. And if the Moderators want to delete or relocate this I'm alright with their decission.

Most, if not all things that cost money, includeing memberships in clubs, have two main things in common; Features and Benifits. All I ever hear about the "WBCCI" is complaints about old members decissions and rules about displaying flags and wearing funny looking hats. I love my Airstream, but from what I have heard so far, I have no interest in the "WBCCI" what so ever and don't need the red numbers stuck on my trailer.

This is only my opinion, and not meant to offend any members of this club, that I know next to nothing about.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote