Old 01-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I have been lurking on this site for some time. My Father-in Law was very active in WBCCI, and with his passing a couple of years ago we are now using his trailer. I read the forums with great interest looking both for information on how to maintain our Airstream, as well as information on various events. We will be attending our first get together (Springstream) and are very excited about it.

As to the WBCCI, we went so far as to inquire if we could get the same number my in-laws had when they were members. However, after reading about all of the stuff going on at a national level, I don't think I want to spend my dollars to support it. We would love to join a local group and strongly support that concept, but not sending the majority of our $$ to the national portion. I am still working full time. I have two children in grade school, and will thus not be attending any national events.

We love our Airstream and are very appreciative of the history behind it. I thought that was what WBBCI was supposed to be about.

We are young enough to wait out a change in national leadership, but would rather not have to. I have belonged to many other vibrant organizations in the past and still do belong to some. Granted I only have the second hand information I have obtained here to go on, but shouldn't the focus always be on the membership, and the wants/needs of said membership. They are the customers of the organization. Just like in any business, ignoring the customer leads to FAILURE.

In an attempt to circle back and prevent thread creep, I fully applaud April Hershberger's suggestions. She describes a national I would join.

2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3streams View Post
I was in fact referring to the forums run (or rather not really run) by the WBCCI- they are run by a 3rd party with other goals in mind whom last I checked wasn't even in good standing in the WBCCI.
This is quite an interesting relevation. Is this the same individual who is "moderating" the forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3streams View Post
I hope you do at least go to a rally with your local unit some time and enjoy the pleasure of camping with other Airstreamers!
I have a good friend who is active in the Unit. Twice a year I rent a beautiful fairgrounds in NH where we run a two-day amateur radio event. There's plenty of room for a rally and I am hoping that the New England Airstreamers will come and enjoy the venue as much as we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
As to the WBCCI, we went so far as to inquire if we could get the same number my in-laws had when they were members. However, after reading about all of the stuff going on at a national level, I don't think I want to spend my dollars to support it. We would love to join a local group and strongly support that concept, but not sending the majority of our $$ to the national portion. I am still working full time. I have two children in grade school, and will thus not be attending any national events.
I applaud your efforts to solicit feedback from people like Aviator who may want to join but are disuaded by the shenanigans of the high command of the main club. Units should run the club, not the other way around. I also see no real raison d'etre for a "regional" level of bureaucracy. Hopefully more like us will post our reasons for not becoming WBCCI members at this time so the folks who want the club to prosper will make the necessary changes to make it attractive for us to consider becoming members at whatever level suits our needs and requirements.

Thanks again,

MisterMike

Tags
membership, wbcci