Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
Low Number Restrictions

So called the club office today to see if the number on my 1961 Tradewind was available. I know that the numbers go with members, but thought on the off chance it would be worth the call. The trailer has the number 253 on it. Three digits, never had anything else. I was told even if available it could not be assigned as it was for officers only. The little research I have done only takes it back to the 70's for people unrelated to the trailer. The suggestion made was to put numbers on each end, or just go for a new number. First, anyone get #253 closer to 1961 in a directory so I might know who had the trailer and what function he/she had with the club? Second, thoughts on the number? I am thinking at this point of just polishing the ghost of the number off completely and leaving it like that.
beatrix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I haven't been with the club for very long (three years), but at my first Mid-winter IBT meeting in January I saw several Airstreams with three-digit numbers. Apparently it's a status thing for high-ranking club officers (and former officers). Even if they started out with four- or five-digit numbers as rank-and-file members, once they ascend to the exalted ranks of International officer, they'll be reassigned a three-digit number. I guess the low number somehow puts them philosophically closer to Wally Byam his own self?

From a practical standpoint, a three-digit number really only means that when they pull up to an event, the people assigning the parking spaces will know at a glance to give them a better space because they're a club bigshot.

As for your own dilemma, you could try for member number X253, 253X, or 1253X where X is any digit, and just put the number off-center so the 253 part covers your ghost numbers.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
In 1964 253 was assigned to Ed and Ivo Langhurst from Cedar Rapids, IA. The number has been reassigned many times since then.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Let's not forget that other than the ladies in the office in Jackson Center, there are no paid positions in the club......it is ALL volunteer.

And yes, some officers get some mileage money for certain travel duties. It is not much and is only for certain club requirements. Many officers do not even take it.

The 3 digit number at the International level is a way to say "thank you'' from the club and a show of appreciation for their time. A perk, I suppose.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:54 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
The 3 digit number at the International level is a way to say "thank you'' from the club and a show of appreciation for their time. A perk, I suppose.
Still seems kind of pointless to me. Three-digit, four-digit, or five-digit, a membership number is still just a number and has no deeper meaning in itself. A lower number is only a perk if the club provides other perks to go along with the number; in which case the three-digit number is a way of discretely saying "I get perks that you don't, ha-ha-ha!"

Of course, my opinion might be considered heresy by some of the old guard who covet those three-digit numbers…

If there's ever an International president who refuses to take a three-digit number because his existing four- or five-digit number is good enough for him, that man would be my hero for as long as they remain in the club, because to my mind that would be a club president who is dedicated to improving the club and not just to getting the perks.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If there's ever an International president who refuses to take a three-digit number because his existing four- or five-digit number is good enough for him, that man would be my hero for as long as they remain in the club, because to my mind that would be a club president who is dedicated to improving the club and not just to getting the perks.
Region presidents are entitled to 3-digit numbers. Many have declined them. I imagine some International Presidents have also declined the honor, but I don't know.

Really doesn't make any difference to me. Seems little enough recognition for taking on jobs that very few people are willing to do.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:39 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Of course, my opinion might be considered heresy by some of the old guard who covet those three-digit numbers…

I don't consider myself the old guard, only been a member for 7 years. Although I don't consider your opinion heresy, I would say that if a member gives up that much of their time and spends $$$$ in a volunteer position, I certainly don't begrude them the perk of sporting the 3 numbers. I also see it as a way to pass on a little recognition and to say thank you for all the time and attention that the majority of them give to the club. IMO, no way they get more than they give. On a number of occasions I have parked next to a 3 number unit at a rally, so they don't always get the box seats when it comes to that.

I know of more than one person who has turned down the 3 numbers simply because they liked the ones they had. Didn't seem any more or less was thought of them due to that. They were just accepted like any other member of the club without an issue about their numbers. YMMV and that's OK too...
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post

And yes, some officers get some mileage money for certain travel duties. It is not much and is only for certain club requirements. Many officers do not even take it.

Ask Forrest Gump ..."my mama told me ..." start a list of such declinations ... and maybe purchase a bridge ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Just red decals.

Hi, four or five numbers are just OK. Three numbers is better. Two numbers even better. And one number is the ultimate. So going by that, [less numbers is better] my trailer, with no numbers is the best.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:09 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I'm okay with the 3-digit thing for higher-ups. I wouldn't take one myself if I ever was in one of those positions, but I'm okay with them getting that recognition. I think getting a 3 digit number used to be mandatory, but the rules were changed years ago.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
To me the three digit number is a nice pat on the back for somebody who has dedicated a lot of time, effort and money to continue the club moving forward. I have no problem with it and appreciate their efforts.

To the OP: I would try for a 4 or 5 digit number that works with 253 or just polish it out and get a new number. Good Luck.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
And just so everyone knows... Here is how they are assigned currently. Airstream Corp owns 1-99...
  • Past and Present International Presidents 100-199
  • Past and Present Region Presidents 200-299
  • Other Past and Present International Officers 300-600
  • Past and Present Standing Committee Chairmen 700-799
  • National Caravan Leaders 800-899
  • Open for future categories 900-999
  • Members 1001 and higher
They can be found at http://wbcci.org/club-information/ne...er-information

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I find it interesting that those who have chosen not to join the WBCCI, or have tried it and left for whatever reason, cannot seem to stay away from commenting about these subjects.

Sounds like the WBBCI is living rent free in their heads.....

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I'm not a current member because of financial reasons. I totally enjoyed my membership but will probably never be able to rejoin. I feel as a very happy former member I can comment. The WBCCI was and is a great organization, but obviously not meant for everyone. Peace,jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
The last two newly elected International VPs (2013 and 2014 elections) declined the offered 3-digit number, electing instead to keep their originally assigned membership number. Totally the option of the new officer.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote