Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #161
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Virtual Rallies

Does this unit only rally virtually? You could infinitely rally over there on Virtual Worlds, Avatars, free 3D chat, online meetings - Second Life Official Site - I've always wanted to start up a Airstream Dealership over there.
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #162
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hey how fun would that be? Would you make virtual money as an AS dealer or real?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #163
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
How many members of Nova are already WBCCI members?
I am, so I guess that's one for the count.

Seems to me that Dan said somewhere previously that there's 10 affiliate members (me being one of those) in addition to the 10 (more?) charter members. In order to be an affiliate you must already be WBCCI so I guess at least 10 are already members of WBCCI. MALs converting probably puts that at 15 or so.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #164
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Are there any charter member applicants of Nova that are current members of the WBCCI and what units will they be transferring from?

By the way I just spent some fun time making an appearance in my second life thanks to Rob's link. pretty cool. Perhaps we could chat there. I wonder if we could get Bakers wagon wheel as an environment.

photography
Old 01-10-2010, 12:33 AM   #165
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Lorrie and I signed up for NOVA as Affiliates. We will retain our primary membership with the Metro-Detroit Unit.

I seem to remember reading that that a couple of weeks ago there were about 10 or 11 signed up for NOVA that would new Members or would be tranfering from MAL status. Not sure if any were transferring from a current unit. On top of that I thought there were about 15 Affiliates signed up.

I don't know exactly how this works until the new Unit is approved. I would think that the new members would become WBCCI MAL's as soon as they pay their dues, but since MAL dues are higher than NOVA dues, I am not sure. Maybe the thing that will happen is that no one has to pay for their membership until NOVA is approved or at least not until the provisional Charter is approved. Dan probably knows more than me.

I will note that I have exchanged a couple of emails with the Region 4 President about NOVA and he seems to support the idea. My guess is that we'll learn more after the Wid-Winter IBT meeting ends. I think the hope is that NOVA will have a provisional Charter soon thereafter, and that maybe a full Charter could occur at this years International Rally in Gillette, WY. I would hope that the recent experience with the 4CU would have greased the skids to help NOVA get through the process quicker.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #166
1 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
Richfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Are there any charter member applicants of Nova that are current members of the WBCCI and what units will they be transferring from?

I asked this question a few pages back. The answer I got was, The people or person starting this unit arent even members themselves. That being said, unless something has changed or unless you have a problem with your unit you belong to, or they have a problem with you, why would jump ship?

My personal opinion is, This unit will never happen. It is in a location that already has 4 units in it. No one here wants a virtual experience, they have very active units, and are constantly moving. I am trying to decide the one I want to join again, but they are all very very active making the choice difficult. All the units have joint or co-rallies, so I may join all 4.

I have found here going to luncheons, that these units are young at heart people, very active. There are some kids, I didnt ask if they were grand kids or there kids. I really dont want to babysit, or have to stop an activity because its nap time. I do think it is good for kids to be around older people, it causes them to act better, and they learn to be polite and respectfull. Sitting at a campfire, I like to relaxe, not watch a kid with his stick in the fire wondering if he is going to get burned, then listen to them cry. I want to stick my own stick in the fire, and I have had plenty of experience not to get burned. Maybe NOVA will have a virtual campfire. For me, I want the real thing...
FreeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #167
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Well Freewilly,

I've really done my best to try to answer your concerns. I'm to the point that I think no matter what I say you will still find fault, blame, or disapproval. That's fine. May I ask that we move this debate somewhere else?

The members, and prospective members, of NOVA are encouraged to keep this thread bookmarked for important announcements. I don't want to water it down with other topics.

I invite you to take a look at the new thread I'm starting. I'll again do my best to answer your concerns there.

Thanks for you cooperation,
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #168
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Chat Room Announcement

This Sunday, Jan. 17th at 8:00 p.m. EST NOVA will be having a "formal" (ok, not really) meeting to discuss our current status.

I encourage everyone to make themselves available if possible.

I'm going to try to set this up in the private NOVA chat room if possible. I still go to see about how to get that going, and get everyone signed up.

We with either meet there or in the public room. I'll announce that later.

Spring is almost here ?

www.campnova.com

Old 01-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #169
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Free Willy

I'm not trying to be rude in anyway - - - when we started the FCU, we heard the sames comments as yours. We have other local units also. We have well demonstrated as I'm sure NOVA will to, that a new unit will add overall net increases in membership. I really fail to understand why existing units are so threatened by new units - there is no siginificant increase in overall cost to the WBCCI - however there will be an increase in revenue to the WBCCI. I thing thats what we all want -correct?

Every unit develops a culture - good and not so good - so while one unit may not fit my taste, another unit may - there are many would would rather complain about the WBCCI than do something about it - Dan B is taking a very active role in doing something about it - I think its best that we get behind him and really help him - let him be successful. He has enough on his mind getting a unit started.

Dan B - something I suggest, if I may, is take the discussion to those who have signed up off the public forum - we did that via e-mails.

Ken J.
Founder FCU
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #170
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I want an internet (not virtual) unit in reply to FreeWilly. I am not looking for a rally schedule or luncheons. I am happy to choose nationwide and from hundreds of rallies as a member if I have the time and the money and so choose to do. I like the freedom of choice the spontaniety and the wider scope of a non-geographical base. My second choice is MAL status but it is considerably pricier and punitive and discrimatory in charging higher dues to only MALs without having the benefit of a unit, voting or eligibility to hold office.

I also like the idea of responding to all potential members of Nova through reply to all e-mail. Setting a window of opportunity of chat is too limiting for my tastes. I like reviewing issues and not making on the spot decisions or having to be available on demand to participate. That is similar to having to be in attendance as the old order WBCCI imposes currently. though that is miles to be traveled rather than designated time to be considered. Also an archive and reference to planning would be beneficial features of emailing.

photography
Old 01-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #171
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeWilly View Post
The people or person starting this unit arent even members themselves.
Some are, but they are MAL status because they haven't found a local unit suitable to their tastes. Apparently NOVA suits them just fine. There's one or two (I believe) who are pledging to move their membership from an existing unit to NOVA. And yes, it could be that they aren't happy with their current unit.

Quote:
No one here wants a virtual experience
Clearly not the case since NOVA has enough members to proceed with the approval of a charter and that many more people as affiliates. Keep in mind that even though NO in NOVA stands Northern Ohio, the people in NOVA are not restricted to that area. NOVA has interested parties from Michigan, Indiana, and some that don't have a home other than their Airstream; to name a few.

Quote:
I am trying to decide the one I want to join again, but they are all very very active making the choice difficult. All the units have joint or co-rallies, so I may join all 4.
The fact that you are interested in 4 Ohio units kinda tells the story of why you don't like NOVA. NOVA was formed because there are a group of people who did not find these other units satisfactory to their personal tastes.

Quote:
I really dont want to babysit, or have to stop an activity because its nap time.
Again, another reason why we wouldn't find common ground with regard to what unit to join. I assure you, I wouldn't make you put my kids down for a nap nor would I force everyone else to stop what they are doing while I excused myself to put them down.

I'm not going to reply specifically to all the comments in the rest of your reply. It's clear you don't like kids, or at least you only like them if they sit in a chair and don't move and don't say anything. This is yet another point for why you like the existing units in northern Ohio and I don't. I'm sure you have had and will have a grand time if you join one or all of those units and I'm glad for that. BUT, please don't critcise NOVA or anyone who is interested in NOVA because what we are trying to do doesn't fit what YOU want. That's akin to saying that everyone needs to drive a Ford Taurus because that's what you like and there's no reason for anyone to need anything else. Some people want a Ford Focus, some want an Explorer, some want an F350 dually. Some even want a Chevy, maybe a Dodge, maybe a Toyota. It's all about what people specifically want. You don't want NOVA, and we're fine with that. But you don't see us telling you that just because NOVA isn't for you that there couldn't possibly be another WBCCI unit that you could fit in to. There is, please join them.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #172
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeWilly View Post
I asked this question a few pages back. The answer I got was, The people or person starting this unit arent even members themselves. That being said, unless something has changed or unless you have a problem with your unit you belong to, or they have a problem with you, why would jump ship?

My personal opinion is, This unit will never happen. It is in a location that already has 4 units in it. No one here wants a virtual experience, they have very active units, and are constantly moving. I am trying to decide the one I want to join again, but they are all very very active making the choice difficult. All the units have joint or co-rallies, so I may join all 4.

I have found here going to luncheons, that these units are young at heart people, very active. There are some kids, I didnt ask if they were grand kids or there kids. I really dont want to babysit, or have to stop an activity because its nap time. I do think it is good for kids to be around older people, it causes them to act better, and they learn to be polite and respectfull. Sitting at a campfire, I like to relaxe, not watch a kid with his stick in the fire wondering if he is going to get burned, then listen to them cry. I want to stick my own stick in the fire, and I have had plenty of experience not to get burned. Maybe NOVA will have a virtual campfire. For me, I want the real thing...
I think it is positive that you understand what draws you and what repels you. It comes with maturity. I have my preferences as well. It is possible that no one unit will be all you prefer. I am certain you have different goups of associates and friends and find some more amiable to yourself than others. So it will be with an entire unit. Myself I prefer to dabble than foreswear to make every repetitious annual same rally because I once enjoyed it. I look for diversion and new experiences. I prefer adult exchanges because I do not have young children. Children can have fun as adults can have fun without a lot of structure. I will seek out adults before I seek out young adults with young children and strike me down dead but I am old enough not to worry about it one way or another but as water I will seek my own level.

I do not think your comments are argumentative or negative. They may be counterculture...which all remains to be seen. Let's e-mail and see! I do hope I can find a group where some people are like me and some people are not like me. But above all there is tolerance and it be inclusive and not exclusive.

photography
Old 01-17-2010, 07:53 AM   #173
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Tonight at 8 p.m est, NOVA will meet in the public chat room.

I will give an update of where we stand.

Also, as mentioed previously, I would like to start the process of accepting volunteers for 4 positions. Right now, I beleive the positions will be President, Vice-president, Sec'y/Tresure, and a position to advise (this will become the immediate past president spot). This is subject to change.

Feel free to bring a drink to our virtual campfire

www.campnova.com

Old 01-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #174
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
I am sorry folks!! We just got home from a volley ball tournament and was logging in to the chat room where there were 9 people and all of a sudden they were gone!

How did things go?

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:48 PM   #175
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
things

We have had a great meeting in the chat room. All of us signed up for "work details". We are for sure going to have a "rally" to open the camping season. I will PM you!
Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #176
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Lou, Did you get my pm? I was on monday night and things were acting funny here! I dont know if it sent or not? But I am in will help with what I can!

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #177
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
*bump*

not much activity here this week. I hope it's because the nationwide thaw-out is being used for a head start on airstream prep for the next camping season.

I've finished the conversion of all entry forms into Excel. A copy is with loudruff as of tonight for shipping of the NOVA charter member Christmas Ornaments. On the topic of the roster, does anyone have an objection to your entry info being shared ONLY amongst NOVA members via email? I thought maybe everyone would like to know who is "in the club". Perhaps I distribute an abbreviated edition; say just names and emails? Please give me feedback.

I really haven't done much with respect to working with AirForums to establish a group or a chat room. I just sent Andy R a PM about it though. I see that NOVA does have a group organized with DanB as the leader, but it is still listed as "(forming)". Oddly, it's not easily accessible and doesn't show up if you click on the "Clubs & Groups Directory". Hopefully I will get that ironed out.

Gary: any updates on the NOVAfest at JC TerraPort? We need to get busy advertising that.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:31 PM   #178
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
thanks

Jason and Andrea, thanks for the roster. I have finished the cards and will be starting the envelopes next. Larry gets to seal them all after I am done. LOL!
We will go and see Dan about the ornaments to enclose next. I am hoping that we will get busy on the NOVAfest next! I am ready to go camping!!!!!!!!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:18 AM   #179
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Hey everybody:

The NOVA private club forum is up and running here at AirForums. You have to "join it" to get access to it. You do this by going to your UserCP (click on "UserCP" in the toolbar at the top of all AirForums pages), then click on "Group Memberships" in the toolbar down the left side of the UserCP page. You will then see a list of groups that you can join. Click the circle button to the left of the NOVA club and then click "Join Group" at the bottom of the list. You will have to enter a short message as to why you want to join the private forum. I will then get a notice and approve you (if you're on the NOVA roster, of course). The private forum will then show up at the top of your forums list when you click on "forums" at the top of an AirForums page. If you're not on the NOVA roster and want to be, let us know here on the forums! We've got enough to proceed toward full Unit-hood, but more are always better.

We will have a NOVA Group page at some point too, but we've got to get the AirForums banner up on the NOVA homepage (DAN!)

For now, we should keep most of our discussions here in the public forum so that people can see what were doing and planning. The private forum will be for distribution of agendas, meeting minutes, budgets, etc. I'd also like to distribute an email roster of NOVA members at the private forum, too. So if you want it, you gotta get in the NOVA forum!
Old 01-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #180
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
How to join the private NOVA forum

Since it's kind of a complex process, I made a PDF to help people through the process of joining the private NOVA forum (open to NOVA members only). It is attached below.

If you haven't joined the private forum yet and you're a NOVA member, then join now!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf how to join the NOVA private forum.pdf (895.5 KB, 63 views)