Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2007, 06:42 AM   #1
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
IF the WBCCI was really interested in Growing...

If the powers that be were truly interested in growing the membership rather than preserving some sense of privilege and prestige (for that is how it really looks to me), they'd not seek to include $300k class 6 trucks, but go for something a little truer to the roots of the organization.

Something that is at once iconic and practical. Economic and easily towable. More at home boondocking off a dirt road somewhere than anchored to a concrete slab in suburbia.

Pop-ups.

It's not as ridiculous as you might think. While not shiny and aluminum, thus destined to fail the 3rd grader test, it is the way a lot of families started, including ours.
Of course, the "hybrid" is the new pop-up, so maybe that would be a better choice. And the advantages of even a 20 year old Airstream over a 2 year old hybrid would become so blindingly obvious over the course of a single weekend...
Believe me, we've been there and have the shirt.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:54 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
That's right!! If the WBCCI really needs a Thor Class A Moho, it's stands to reason that we also need a Thor pop-up rebranded as an Airstream. Let's present this idea to the IBT and see if it gets any support. It' the same thing. Isn't it?????
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:17 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

You guys are too much!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:19 AM   #4
Trailerite

1971 23' Safari
Riverton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
That's right!! If the WBCCI really needs a Thor Class A Moho, it's stands to reason that we also need a Thor pop-up rebranded as an Airstream. Let's present this idea to the IBT and see if it gets any support. It' the same thing. Isn't it?????
No. They are doing their best to keep the high end stuff, they don't want riff-raff in the club, like for example Argosies and B vans. Didn't they get disapproved for membership in the club?
Old 04-06-2007, 07:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
i think that originally it was intended as a club for airstream owners and airstream lovers, so what is at issue here. i may be totally naive, but do the owners of these super-expensive motorhomes really "camp?" while we own a motorhome (1979 excella) i understand and appreciate the fact that the majority (i believe it is 80%) of airstream owners have trailers. this whole issue is a divide and conquer issue. should i feel less qualified as a member since i chose a motorhome. (we are also looking for a trailer to satisfy airstream fever!) this is like the issue of the girl wanting to join the boy scouts. it doesn't fly just because someone has decided it is the politically correct thing to do. i may be completely off-base here, but shouldn't this be decided by the motorhome purchaser? do they want an airstream or SOB? if they choose SOB, how about a whole new club for them. after all, several brands have their own clubs. does winnebago admit tioga, does barth admit coachman? i can see the idea of grandfathering them in, but how will that work down the road? will those members always have carte blanche to continue buying SOB and remaining members? maybe i'm being elitist, but i wanted airstream and if somebody wants SOB, let them have their own club that i can't be a member of! i apologize if i have offended anyone, just stating my opinion. for the record, i haven't yet even joined the WBCCI. i'm waiting to see how this issue gets settled before i decide if it is a group that stands by their airstream-loving members. for the record, i DO want to join. i'll just wait and see.
airstreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
You know now we should have changed the name last year " Airstream Owners Association International" would have stopped this years problem.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:35 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman
You know now we should have changed the name last year " Airstream Owners Association International" would have stopped this years problem.
It would still be a problem this year, with the club becoming an oxymoron if this year's probem gets passed.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I plan to maintain my membership in WBCCI so that I can have griping rights and keep my big red numbers. I do this even thouigh the arogance of our leadership saddens me.

This Forums Group is emerging as the primary Airstream club. This Group is everything that WBCCI should be. This group accepts new members based upon their interest in Airstreams, not their ownership of one. This group helps people decide if they want to own an Airstream, and, if so, which model would suit them best. This group guides novices on the finer points of Airstreaming. It provides in depth technical assistance. It organizes get togethers and rallies that tend to be more fun than anything that WBCCI puts on. This Group does all the things that WBCCI should do and doesn't.

Since WBCCI has elected to abandon Wally Byam, Maybe the Forums could become the Wally Byam Fan Club. I think that this group is much better embodiment of the Wally Byam spirit.
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 04-06-2007, 09:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
AMEN, moosetags! i'll join that one for sure!
airstreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #10
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamers
...while we own a motorhome (1979 excella) i understand and appreciate the fact that the majority (i believe it is 80%) of airstream owners have trailers. this whole issue is a divide and conquer issue. should i feel less qualified as a member since i chose a motorhome.
Ah, see, but the RV in your avatar most certainly would pass the 3rd/4th grader "Is it an Airstream?" test.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Something that I think whatever club winds up being "the club", there should be a couple of small membership changes.
1-Anyone that is interested in Airstream products and is willing to pay the dues should be able to be a member. If, however, they don't own one, they will only be able to attend select club functions. They could be eligible for discounts on club-endorsed insurance or campgrounds.
2-Any RV manufactured by or for Airstream would be allowed full membership into the club.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:01 AM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Something that I think whatever club winds up being "the club", there should be a couple of small membership changes.
1-Anyone that is interested in Airstream products and is willing to pay the dues should be able to be a member. If, however, they don't own one, they will only be able to attend select club functions. They could be eligible for discounts on club-endorsed insurance or campgrounds.
2-Any RV manufactured by or for Airstream would be allowed full membership into the club.
You have basically described what the "Airstream Forums Club" already is.
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 04-06-2007, 10:22 AM   #13
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
If the WBCCI was really interested in growing

The leadership would listen to and where necessary act on the memberships suggestions.
The club currently has approx. 1000 new members join EACH YEAR and yet total membership hovers around 6-7 thousand.The club should easily be at least twice it's current size and with the proper leadership these numbers should be obtainable.
The 100 thousand question...under the current system,how do you get the proper leadership before the club is driven into the ground.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:28 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
You have basically described what the "Airstream Forums Club" already is.
Exactly. Why mess with success?
Old 04-06-2007, 10:34 AM   #15
Certifiable

. , .
The key to a growing membership is to maintain and fortify your base, your foundation. Who comprises the WBCCI's base?
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
These are great comments. It would be good to get them over in Renee's member share area of the WBCCI forums. Renee really has been trying hard to get us heard we could show a little support for all her efforts. C'mon go give them a post!

WBCCI Forum -

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:19 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Who's the base?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue
The key to a growing membership is to maintain and fortify your base, your foundation. Who comprises the WBCCI's base?
My preliminary apologies to all the Airstream MOHO owners but unless it has visible aluminum it's not an Airstream

I love the older AS MOHO's because they look like there's some aluminum on them. Anyway....Someone else pointed out that the membership is shrinking.

The truth is its not about what kind of MOHO or TT you have but how you camp. WBCCI (Bless Wally's heart) was founded on good principles long before the Good Sam group was formed, etc.

Where the problems began is when WBCCI began to exclude people rather than include them. A prime example is Argosy's. Awesome TT's but they couldn't join WBCCI for quite some time. It tooks an almost act of congress to get them in.

I love the Air Forum, I love WBCCI for it's own reason but more importantly I love the big silver trailer that I am blessed to have. If all of these clubs went away I'd still love camping in our AS.

Now we'll all stand for the pledge of allegiance and I'll raise the flag

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:31 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I pledge allegiance to the united state of Airstreaming... See my "Live Airstream or Die" flag? Coined by WAM52 Great letter here http://www.airforums.com/forum...6-post285.html

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

WBCCI wants to grow

The WBCCI does want to grow as a club. Thoughts on how to go about doing it is another thing. There are those that will say, "I left the WBCCI because of the stupid red jackets, blue berets, etc.." There are those that will say "I did not join the WBCCI because it's a bunch of old people, with red jackets and blue berets". I personally think they are all the wrong reasons to leave or not join. I've also seen "many" people post messages on this very forum staying "I would not join the WBCCI because all you guys do is fight". The bottom line is this, the WBCCI wants to grow. And if you are a member of the WBCCI, you are the WBCCI. It is up to you as a member to make the club the best you can. If you are a member of a Unit that is shrinking and dying out, offer to do a buddy rally, push it here and other places on the web, ask other units to join it, etc... Make it the best rally anyone has ever been too. Do a quick three/four day caravan, etc... Offer to help get a webpage up and running, offer to take votes over the phone and web, step up and do the work.

Example: The WDCU did not have a Unit Flag and our Unit newsletter had all but died out. I took it upon myself to do the paperwork, phone calls, design and $$$ to get a Unit flag passed. It is now being made and should have them ready to sell by our CBR. I took the time to write up a quick newletter back in Oct. After that newsletter went out, I had a member contact me offering to become the Newsletter Editor, she has put out three since Nov.. I'm co-hosting a caravan to International and co-hosting a rally in Sept.

I ask, all that have responsed to this thread to host one rally or caravan this year, work to get your website up and running, or something, anything. We have the chance with this forum in place to bring the WBCCI back to the greatest RV club in the USA. Or, we can use this forum to destroy it. I'll be the first to say the "IBT" has not done everything right(in my opinion) But, we cannot yell about our bad of a job they are doing if we are doing nothing to help.

It's time for us to step up and take on the work. They will not and should not do it for us. There's more to being a member of the WBCCI than just paying your dues.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:42 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
1977 27' Overlander
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
The 100 thousand question...under the current system,how do you get the proper leadership before the club is driven into the ground.
Begin by:

VOTEing NO on the entire International slate when it comes to your unit in April (THIS MONTH). (They're going to win anyway -- might as well make them sit through a 45 minute roll call and let them hear YOUR voice. Especially if you won't be in Perry!) If they get in through another club-wide unanimous YES election they're just going to fumble around and find another disaster for '08. Then they will all continue up the ladder of self-fullfilling success.

Then take back your club:

In the movie 'Animal House' it was the Deltas against the rules... the rules lost! :

Bluto (John Belushi): What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Otter (Tim Matheson): We gotta take these b#&ta#&s. Now we could do it with conventional weapons. But that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Bluto: We're just the guys to do it.
D-Day: Let's do it.
Bluto: LET'S DO IT!
WALLY54 1954 Cruiser #11281
Buttercup 77 Overlander #17330
1990 345-LE MoHo Classic #7830
Air #
WALLY 54 is offline   Reply With Quote