Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2004, 10:50 AM   #221
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Second question in survey

I had to change my response to the second question of the survey after reading the constitution.

OH my, shame on me.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:01 AM   #222
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Thought this might be of interest to those wondering what WBCCI is all about.....
Questions about the goals in the consitution:
-> Are there specific measuring tools that can be applied on a regular basis to determine progress and activity towards those goals?
-> Is such a process of evaluation regularly conducted on a serious basis?
-> Are the results of such evaluations used in planning and budgeting?

If these things are happening, they don't show very well.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 12:25 PM   #223
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I have a copy of the financial report on the way. They cannot email them since they are no available as an electronic document, but they are mailing a copy.

I do know that the club dues cover a multitude of things. The funding for the international rallies is not part of it. The international rallies are expected to end close to break even, or in the black. deposits and permits, etc for the rallies do need to be paid in advance, but in the long run the money is recouped.

One of the things that is covered is the headquarters operating expense as well as the Liability insurance policy. Some of the International offices receive a partial reimbursement for their travel on behalf of the club. I know for a fact this in no way covers the expenses they incur to carry out the assigned duties of their positions.

As a previous poster said, the dues are not extreme, but you do wonder what they are used for.

I will be more than happy to post what I find in the report. Of course I will have to have my wife do the translation since I am a computer geek and she is the one that is strong in numbers
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 01:07 AM   #224
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
Actually I sorta like Boots Randolph. Anyone remember Yakety Sax?
Porky,

I remember "Yakety Sax" very well.
You're not alone! I also played a sax. I play mostly by ear, don’t follow music very much. I used to practice by playing along with his albums; although some people didn't like his style, I feel I learned a lot that way.

I haven't played for a while and I would like to get back into it.

A very exciting time once in H/S was when I got to meet him. He was performing in a nearby H/S. A friend of mine and fellow sax player followed him back to his room after the performance and he was very nice in talking with us a bit. Although pressed for time we did get an autograph at the time. I guess it's possible I might still have that somewhere. That has been about 30 years ago. Man how time flies!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 02:03 AM   #225
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Thumbs down WBCCI survey

Hello All .. Was disappointed at the question of admitting other Thor products... Is this a push from Thor? IF other than A/S are permitted .. we will strongly consider withdrawing our membership... Annie
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 07:17 AM   #226
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinky
I also played a sax. I play mostly by ear ...
Try sticking that thing in your mouth ...

Seriously, that's a great story ... episodes like the one you had with Boots can certainly have an impact on a young person's life. Love him or hate him .. the guy was a major influence on the Memphis Sound.

You should go the the International and see if you can meet him again.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 07:27 AM   #227
2 Rivet Member

Cool

The biggest reason I belong to WBCCI is to use the Top of Georgia campground at Helen, Ga. a couple of times a year and to help support the Georgia Unit.

We are not regulars there, but do use it almost every fall and if we need to have out silver bullet stored, it is cheaper there and safer than anywhere else.

The park is beautiful and is always well maintained by those who do use it regularly.

Visit the Top of Georgia Website.
ke4pk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 11:20 AM   #228

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I just had to say that I think it's fantastic that we were able to have this discussion on this forum. I know there are other lists/forums where such debate is not encouraged, and moderators would have shut it down as soon as it got ugly. I think that's the value of a real community, being able to disagree and state our opininons and learn from each other, without someone else stepping in to break it up as soon as someone might get their feelings stepped on.

I think this debate got a lot out in the open; pointed out problems with the WBCCI and pointed out a lot of good points about it as well. I know it certainly gave me a lot of food for thought as I continue to try and help our unit move forward. I just wanted to thank the moderators for letting us have the kind of forum where people can openly discuss hot topics like this.

This is what makes us an online Airstream community!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 11:47 AM   #229
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Rivet Wiping a tear from my eye ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefrobrts
This is what makes us an online Airstream community!
Group hug everybody ... anyone know the words to Kumbaya?

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 11:53 AM   #230
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
You asked for it

Kumbaya

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord kumbaya

Someone's crying my Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord kumbaya
Repeat the verses with someone praying, singing, laughing, or anythng else you wish.

Thanks to Katherine Delany, who sent me this more "modern" version of Kumbaya. I don't know the new tune though... anyone willing to teach me?

Somebody's singing Lord, Kumbaya (Oh-oh-oh)
Somebody's singing Lord, Kumbaya (Oh-oh-oh)
Somebody's singing Lord, Kumbaya,
Singing Rainstorm, Firewind, Kumbaya.
Kumbaya, kumbaya. (clap, clap)
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 11:55 AM   #231
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
The BIG Question.....

How many Thor owners WOULD join WBCCI if they were welcome to? Give an SOB owner your copy of the Blue Beret and ask them if they would like to join this organization.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 12:01 PM   #232
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Guess shot

About the same amount of Airstream owners that aspire to own SOB.

What are you eluding too?

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 12:06 PM   #233

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Even I have to admit, although it will be years before I could go on one, the Caravans sound like a cool idea. I'd think there would be Thor owners would want to participate in that. Actually, that's one reason I want to help the WBCCI survive, not only so I can have fun until I retire, but because once I do I'd like to go on some of those Caravans!

hmm hmmm hmmm (humming Kumbaya)

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:17 PM   #234
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
International Ralley

I know I dredging up an old topic. I just want to know if anything was ever mentioned about the WBCCI survey at the International Ralley?

Anything about the results?

Mark
Old 07-28-2004, 01:51 PM   #235
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
The survey results were discussed and shared in some meetings. They were not exactly publicized but copies of the survey results were floating around freely.

I can tell you (after carefully reviewing a bootleg copy of the survey results) that methodological errors in the survey rendered most of the statistical questions irrelevant or inaccurate. The survey did not get a representative sample of the overall membership. As a result, there was little actionable data.

However, the candid comments sent in by people amounted to many pages and they were mildly enlightening. A lot of people feel the need for change, and their ideas on how to achieve it are all over the map.

Bottom line: there's no substitute for leadership.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:12 PM   #236
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Rivet It's all in the food

I just wish the food was better . I really don't like paying a rally fee which includes some meals which are painful reminders of scout camp banquets. Ham in water should be outlawed. Now my experience is based on last year's region one rally and I'm trying it again this year.

Being in the vintage area we were parked in the next field over, out of the way of the nice trailers . The people were very friendly, I didn't go to any events as they seemed Welkian. Time warp. The people were very friendly, trying hard to welcome us. I mean falling over themselves. Like they were really glad to see a new member. So that helped balance off the first contact. They played this stupid game that made you find the group you were to go to for happy hour . Never really explained it, guess they play it often enough they don't need to do that. I walked all over the encampment searching for my group . Talk about being made clear I was an outsider. And I had a really good food thing to share, crab cakes with two sauces . I was not enjoying myself . Now I know there were people wanting to fuss over new members. It's just that its a side issue to what's going on not a part of every detail . Whoever setup the group search game didn't consider there may be new people. We camped by ourselves the rest of the summer and fall . Paid our dues and we will give it another shot. This time region one is 4 miles from home so I know were to go to eat if they have ham.

Frankly I see no reason to belong if it's open to other makes. I will continue to belong because it seems a responsibility of owning an Airstream and I'm hoping the Vintage Club will be worthwhile. In fact prehaps the Vintage Club should consider reorganizing now to be independent of the mother load should this occur and become the real airstream club. That's how groups are in the real world. They come, they die, another takes it place. I don't see the relationship between what Wally was doing and what WBCCI does but I have little to go on.

Prehaps a revolt at Woodstock is needed . Woodstock, now that's prophetic . Forum members can park in a wagon wheel, have a campfire, and be a community . Now that's rad..

I better stop now before I say what I really think.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:06 PM   #237
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
The survey results were discussed and shared in some meetings. They were not exactly publicized but copies of the survey results were floating around freely.

I can tell you (after carefully reviewing a bootleg copy of the survey results) that methodological errors in the survey rendered most of the statistical questions irrelevant or inaccurate. The survey did not get a representative sample of the overall membership. As a result, there was little actionable data.

However, the candid comments sent in by people amounted to many pages and they were mildly enlightening. A lot of people feel the need for change, and their ideas on how to achieve it are all over the map.

Bottom line: there's no substitute for leadership.
I heard that the comments were not really warmly received (more of an in one ear and out the other or a nodding of heads with ears covered so to speak) and that little from the current leadership will be done to correct the situation. How truely disappointing if it is even remotely true. Of course, I can't see how there is not any truth to the statement as the survey was done a while back and still I cannot see any real attmepts, meeting minutes, etc that would indicate that info was received and at least conversations had been started. How the survey comments could be "enlightening" I find strange since most of the issues would seem to be common sense things, at least to start. The problems are as clear as the text you read on this thread.

Disappointing to say the least.

On the subject of adding SOBs to the community, at some point, there will be little choice since the current pool of younger Airstream owners (like me) are not coming in drones as one might hope to sustain the group. They need members to keep it going and there are a bunch of SOB folks with similar interests and time on their hands....seems to me like it might be a matter of when, not if, as long as the current administration stays at the helm.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:32 PM   #238
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Being in the vintage area we were parked in the next field over, out of the way of the nice trailers . The people were very friendly, I didn't go to any events as they seemed Welkian. Time warp. The people were very friendly, trying hard to welcome us. I mean falling over themselves. Like they were really glad to see a new member. So that helped balance off the first contact. They played this stupid game that made you find the group you were to go to for happy hour . Never really explained it, guess they play it often enough they don't need to do that. I walked all over the encampment searching for my group . Talk about being made clear I was an outsider. And I had a really good food thing to share, crab cakes with two sauces . I was not enjoying myself . Now I know there were people wanting to fuss over new members. It's just that its a side issue to what's going on not a part of every detail . Whoever setup the group search game didn't consider there may be new people. We camped by ourselves the rest of the summer and fall . Paid our dues and we will give it another shot. This time region one is 4 miles from home so I know were to go to eat if they have ham.

Frankly I see no reason to belong if it's open to other makes. I will continue to belong because it seems a responsibility of owning an Airstream and I'm hoping the Vintage Club will be worthwhile. In fact prehaps the Vintage Club should consider reorganizing now to be independent of the mother load should this occur and become the real airstream club. That's how groups are in the real world. They come, they die, another takes it place. I don't see the relationship between what Wally was doing and what WBCCI does but I have little to go on.

I appreciate the honesty. I realize that it is sometimes painful for others to hear. Being new A/S owners and considering joining WBCCI, the honesty is important to us.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:50 PM   #239
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
I just wish the food was better . I really don't like paying a rally fee which includes some meals which are painful reminders of scout camp banquets. Ham in water should be outlawed. Now my experience is based on last year's region one rally and I'm trying it again this year.

Prehaps a revolt at Woodstock is needed . Woodstock, now that's prophetic . Forum members can park in a wagon wheel, have a campfire, and be a community . Now that's rad..

Hmmm...I was there. I don't remember the ham. I must have blocked it out. In fact, now that I think about it...I think I was parked next to you. (little trailer...cork floor, screen house...right?). I do remember being down in the gulley w/ the poor folks. and all the millionaires visiting at the open house..."oh, how quaint".

Oh, well. I can tell you that other events I've attended since didn't have the same tone at all. consider the Jamaica rally. looks to me like its an "all wally" event, is it not? point being that the club has it within itself to be less stuffy. and I promise, I won't bring any ham in water!!
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:04 PM   #240
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
So are you coming to Jamaica. I'll bring my Bobby Marley CD collection.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote