Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

victoria , british columbia
water filter

looking for a water filter that protects against bacteria, viruses, i used to have general ecology on another trailer, but i would like input from the group, oh i live in Canada, so cannot just go to camperworld.

david
dsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Here's a handy website. Several of their units can only be shipped within Canada.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_l...34374302696689
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Give more details please

Welcome David -- Do you ask out of concern for condition of water in your tanks or will you be sourcing from surface waters? Viruses are not a big issue for us northerners.

You might have to get used to halogenated water if you're going natural. No filter will work for giardia -- the nastiest little GI parasite around. It is a motile spirochete, meaning that it can auger thru any filter and make the clean side as infective as the dirty. (basic backpacker info... what I used to do before my body rebelled -- or turned 50! ) Any water at risk for e. coli or turbulence is not good. The placid beaver pond or babbling brook could be the worst sources for water. Deep clear water is better but still needs to be treated in all but the most remote (roadless) of locations.

Airstream manuals have pretty good sections on conditioning the tanks with hypochlorite. (Search the forums on that last word) How much one wants to drink from old tanks is quite variable across members here.

In case the southwestern members are laughing at us, can they say "han-ta-virus"????? Ba-a-a-ad stuff!!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Here is another place to look. You may find something here.

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:27 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

victoria , british columbia
water filter

thanks to all for your response, i sailed for five years and never had a problem, just took on water and put it thriugh the general ecology - seagull- but my sailing was fifteen years ago, i just looked at there web site and they are still in business, and there filter does remove cysts, but price is high, but health is more important, the uv light with filters seem like a something to look into, as anybody got one onboard?

again thanks

david victoria canada
dsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Cysts would mean giardia ... which shouldn't be a risk if you're filling from municipal or a good well source.

There's a carbon filter in the kitchen tap on my Safari. I just have to remember to remove it while winterizing or if I use bleach. One good way to remove bleach taste after treating is to wash a few vitamin C (ascorbic acid) tablets thru the system.

I made a mistake earlier -- that is leptospirosis that gets through filters. Sorry. Shouldn't be an issue in the northwest.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #7

Currently Looking...
2005 33' Land Yacht Gas 33
Paradise , California
Water Filters with Auto Flush Technology

When people use kitchen tap water filters they must activate the filters for 10 to fifteen seconds on first use....Must Manually flush prior to every use, For nearly thirty years they have not updated this horrible pain in the Ass! If I forget to Manually Flush then I get black particulates into my drinking water glass, which they claim is harmless and that is a Lie!

Proctor and Gamble and Mr.AG.Lafely hate Auto Flush Technology but Proctor and Gamble obviously do not care enough about their customers Health and Well being to add Auto Flushing to your water filters!

Shame on you Mr. Lafley!!! lafley.ag@pg.com

A simple process to make our lives easier and safer and they won't do it! You think it is o.k to drink Black Particulates and bacteria and residue from a used and or dirty filter. When all you have to do is ensure that a control board can be programmed to control valves and the water flow.

Rest assured the process of Auto Flushing is going to be circulating on forums and news sites until some water filter company cares enough about our welfare to start adding Auto Flushing to their systems. Hell isn't it time! faucets are automated, doors and even soap dispensers and paper towel dispensers!

Shame, Shame, Shame on you and Proctor and Gamble!
This posting is starting to show up on forums already...

++++++++++++++++

I offered Pur water filters my Patent Pending Idea to update their old water filters to use Auto Flush Technology, However, A.G. Lafley and his staff saw no value in Auto Flushing the kitchen Tap water filters as they see no value in help protecting their customers health. It is fine to let people forget to manually flush their systems as the black particulates that carry impurities and bacteria and other contaminates as well as chlorine and such is obviously just fine if their customers drink it, well then if it is safe to drink it, then why do we need the water filter in the first place?

When people use kitchen tap water filters they must activate the filters for 10 to fifteen seconds on first use....Must Manually flush prior to every use, For nearly thirty years they have not updated this horrible pain in the Ass! If I forget to Manually Flush then I get black particulates into my drinking water glass, which they claim is harmless and that is a Lie!

Proctor and Gamble and Mr.AG.Lafely hate Auto Flush Technology but Proctor and Gamble obviously do not care enough about their customers Health and Well being to add Auto Flushing to your water filters!

Shame on you Mr. Lafley!!! lafley.ag@pg.com

A simple process to make our lives easier and safer and they won't do it! You think it is o.k to drink Black Particulates and bacteria and residue from a used and or dirty filter. When all you have to do is ensure that a control board can be programmed to control valves and the water flow.

Rest assured the process of Auto Flushing is going to be circulating on forums and news sites until some water filter company cares enough about our welfare to start adding Auto Flushing to their systems. Hell isn't it time! faucets are automated, doors and even soap dispensers and paper towel dispensers!

Shame, Shame, Shame on you and Proctor and Gamble!
This posting is starting to show up on forums already...
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
There are not filters that are fine enough to stop viruses. UV light system helps for those and Bateria but I do not know of any that work on 12 volts. Carbon filters make the water taking out chemicals including chlorine which the city puts in to sanitize the water and keep it that way. Therefore any water that has gone thru the carbon filter and then allowed to set around becomes suspect. I guess you have to learn to like the taste of chlorine.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #9

Currently Looking...
2005 33' Land Yacht Gas 33
Paradise , California
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
There are not filters that are fine enough to stop viruses. UV light system helps for those and Bateria but I do not know of any that work on 12 volts. Carbon filters make the water taking out chemicals including chlorine which the city puts in to sanitize the water and keep it that way. Therefore any water that has gone thru the carbon filter and then allowed to set around becomes suspect. I guess you have to learn to like the taste of chlorine.
Nothing is perfect, so let us just hope for Improvements that are actually useful
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
What do you want the filter for? are you gonna dump water from a stream or lake in your AS ? If not a regular water filter for your house will work fine. If you want something for gardia and other bugs, Viruses are very hard to get. There are one or two backpacking filters that say they may take them out, but water goes through them so slowly you can boil it faster.

You could try to fit a backpacking filter into the system, but when your done you need to make sure you dry it out!

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003 international