Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2001 - 2005 Classic
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2005, 07:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
Although I think that the Hensley is in most cases a waste, a friend with a 30 Limited just installed a Hensley to correct a downright dangerous sway situation. He is a long-time Airstreamer and has never had a problem in the past; He tried sway bars, dual-cam, sway bars with the dual cam and the factory even replaced his tires and the trailer was still all over the road to the point of being dangerous. The Hensley finally settled it down.

The best explanation seems to be that the 30 Limited is marginally too heavy for the tires (same tires as on my 25 Classic) and even at maximum pressure, the trailer wallows and steers itself all over the road. A second friend with a 30 non-Limited has had some instability problems, but less so than the Limited. The dual-cam solved it for him.
John -

Does your friend have a slide-out model?

We have a 30' Limited non-slide, and had lots of sway last summer towing all the way across the US and back with a Reese high performance dual cam. We were probably near our rated weight limit, and I'm pretty careful about distributing the load and maintaining tire pressure, but I had been blaming our sway problems on the hitch -- maybe it's the tires??

I felt that the 15,000 btu air conditioner was straining at times during this past summer to maintain the temperature in our 30' unit, and we never got much hotter outside than low 90's. I don't know how others with the 15000 btu AC do with their 34' trailers, and/or in hotter conditions than we experienced last summer.

John
Old 01-20-2005, 07:31 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Silver. Right on with the two AC's shown on Colonial's website 34'er. Nice trailer. I wonder why Airstream hasn't figured out that it's not cool to have exposed wires showing on a $90,000 unit. Look at the picture - above the microwave for the TV jacks. You'd think that if they were going to install a flat screen at the factory that they might also hide the wires. I don't get it. Would Lexus sell a car like that? Doubt it.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 08:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The Limited package got us the two 40 lb bottles (you don't want less with a 34,000 btu furnace), the electric stabilizers, black tank flush (priceless), screen door guard (essential with pets or kids), burgundy awnings on all windows (does the Classic have awnings streetside?), brass and acrylic door/drawer pulls, brass sink fixtures, the prettiest wood I've ever seen in an Airstream, including all wood tables (vs Formica insets), wide burgundy ZipDee chairs with the Limited label, as well as the caps and jackets. Check out the pictures in the link in my signature.

We also got the oven option, which has been great for boondocking. You don't really lose any storage space, in fact you probably gain some over drawers, if you store all your cooking stuff like nesting pots and pans, cake pans, pie pan, pizza stone, etc, in the oven.

I agree with the comments on the skylights. We don't use the one in the lounge much, but the one in the dressing area is priceless. Not having one forward would give more roof area and flexibility for solar panels if you're inclined that way. You'd be surprised at how little room there is for them on a 34'.

The dual Fantastic Fans with rain sensors are great.

The 13,500 btu AC has been adequate, but we live in Ohio. I suspect dual AC (and 50A power) might be required in really hot climates, if not parked in the shade.

The max width on the credenza for a flat panel TV diagonally across the front is about 18" from corner to curtain rail. That should barely accomodate the right 20" diagonal 4:3 TV (16" wide screen with up to 1" frame on each side of it.

It would be nice to have stereo audio cables run from the credenza up to auxiliary inputs on the stereo, but if you can't manage that, and the TV has an audio out, you could plug an FM modulator into it and tune it in on the stereo.

If you're going custom-built I'd try to get the real wood flooring, not just in the galley, but all the way forward... if they're still doing real wood flooring. The carpet's nice on bare feet in the bedroom and dressing area.

Hope this helps,
Old 01-20-2005, 10:11 PM   #24
_

. , .
tires as the cause of sway?

hello all

it's hard for me to imagine the tires could be the cause of sway....unless greatly under inflated.....as in only 10-20 psi inside the tire.

i also don't want to believe that airstream is using tires that are underrated for the load....this would seem to place them at great $$$ risk liability wise.

while i'm also still learning the science behind hitches (pun intended)....weight distributing hitches don't reduce trailer axel load that much do they?

please offer some your insight on my post about trailer weights....i searched quite a bit and really didn't find an answer.

cheers
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 10:40 PM   #25
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hello all

it's hard for me to imagine the tires could be the cause of sway....unless greatly under inflated.....as in only 10-20 psi inside the tire.

i also don't want to believe that airstream is using tires that are underrated for the load....this would seem to place them at great $$$ risk liability wise.

while i'm also still learning the science behind hitches (pun intended)....weight distributing hitches don't reduce trailer axel load that much do they?

please offer some your insight on my post about trailer weights....i searched quite a bit and really didn't find an answer.

cheers
The 30/31 Classic Limiteds are the heaviest trailers on two axles with the exception of the Slideout model which has massive tongue weight which would lead to less sway tendency. The tongue weight is in the "safe" range, but not nearly as high in proportion as a 25 or 28.

The dealer and the owner have tried for over a year to "tame" this trailer. This is a long-experienced Airstreamer towing with a crew-cab Dodge diesel. The trailer has been towed behind several other capable trucks with similar results; it was frightening. The factory went over the trailer and replaced all 4 tires once. One axle has been replaced due to a bearing failure. Wheel tracking has been measured. The trailer has been weight several times. As I said above, a variety of anti-sway measures were tried. The dealer finally installed the Hensley and is currently trying to get Airstream to pay for it ... it is the only thing that has made the trailer safe to tow.

The consensus here is that, even though the tongue weight is in the low end of the preferred range, the four tires, even when fully inflated and within specification (just) have to be the key to the problem.

I have the same 4 tires on my 7300# gross 25 Classic and I never run anywhere near gross. He grosses 10000# on those same four tires. With the extra weight of the Limited package (power stabilizers, etc.), he probably runs a lot nearer gross than I.

I don't doubt that the tires are within published capacity; however, I have had prior experience with a trailer with tires "just" within capacity and I had continuous problems. It was a 5th-wheel, so I didn't have sway problems, but I experienced many tire failures and excessive wear.

BTW, load distributing hitches increase the weight on the axles by transferring some of the hitch weight to the trailer wheels.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 10:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKingMoe
The Limited package got us the two 40 lb bottles (you don't want less with a 34,000 btu furnace), the electric stabilizers, black tank flush (priceless), screen door guard (essential with pets or kids), burgundy awnings on all windows (does the Classic have awnings streetside?), brass and acrylic door/drawer pulls, brass sink fixtures, the prettiest wood I've ever seen in an Airstream, including all wood tables (vs Formica insets), wide burgundy ZipDee chairs with the Limited label, as well as the caps and jackets. Check out the pictures in the link in my signature.
The 40# bottles and electric stabilizers are the two things I wished I had on my Classic. But my Classic includes the sreen door guard, black tank flush, blue awnings on all windows, and nice looking wood with no formica insets. Caps, jackets, and wider chairs would be nice but really???. I still do not see why the huge price increase for the package?

The burgandy color is different but I would still choose blue.

Dual ACs would be a must for real cooling in the hot sun. And the bigger (nice for the 34'), newer (50 amp) RV parks usually have little shade. My 30' Classic kept the interior at best 85 in Reno last summer with the 15,000 AC.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:47 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up

Craftman,
I only mention this because I didn't get the impression in the reading of your comments about installing TV's..
"I'd seriously consider upgrading to the "HDTV ready TV" as a necessary requirement for the near/long term." (It's just a matter of time before it swepts the country)
Concerning the A/C issue, I have often wonder why a vertical a/c unit wasn't used over a roof-mounted unit. Design considerations aside, think about the overall advantages from non-roof mounted concept.
1.Cleaner roof lines.
2.No holes in the roof top.
3.A much larger cooling capacity.
4.Easier to maint.
The negatives I could come up with is the possible loss of closet space and increase internal noise issues.
DESIGN AWARD OF THE YEAR~!
Wireless antenna system option is a real winner~!!
The main problem I see with a wireless cell antenna system installed as mention is the line loss in getting the signal from the numerous mention points. Last time I heard, all cell fones have at the most is 600 mw of power. One could get around this if you were to use a lower loss cable coupled with a power amp. I've seen an website on the internet for a company that provides this type of service.
BTW, Airstream has working for them an individual who oversees the company's QC program that is a retired Engineer from LMC..I'd be willing to bet you that, he'd be your best contact point for the proper understanding of the requirements for that type of installation.
Good Luck on your new unit~
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:35 AM   #28
Craftsman

I started doing a little more searching on the web and the HD flat screen TV is definitely the way to go. Sharp makes a nice 20" with a narrow profile and speaker on the bottom as well as a 15, 1nd 17". Maurice, I looked at your photo's and I would like my cradenza stocked like yours. Is that part of the Limited Package? Now I better understand the cost. I was also looking at the 34" on the Colonial site with the dual A/C's. Set up like that, does that mean that you couldn't have a fantastic fan in the bedroom for times that you didn't or couldn,t run the A/C? The one in the front is standard ,right? The oven and standard microwave argument is convincing as is the 40lb tanks and electric stabiizer jacks.I like everything about the Limited Package except for the price. Is there any problem with the handling and towing with the 34'?
Old 01-21-2005, 08:01 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I gotta believe that was designed specifically as a liquor cabinet. The tallest 1.75 liter bottle I have is Gilbey's Gin, and it just fits. Besides the white rum and vodka, most everything else (of mine) in there is 1.0 liter. Liquor not included in the Limited package.

The second air-conditioner goes where the second Fantastic Vent goes, so no, you can't have both. The nice thing about having two is that you can close and lock all the windows for privacy/security and still have flow-through ventilation. If you can leave the back windows open, the front FV will pull enough air through the trailer to keep it cool. In fact, we usually have the rear FV open but not turning at night, with the front fan doing all the work.

Another thing that's nice about only one AC is not having to have a very heavy 50 amp power cord to deal with. But having sufficient AC in hot weather is also priceless.

When I was an RV tech, most came with the wiring for the AC dead-ended up in the
ceiling. All you had to do was remove the standard vent and there was the wire between the inner and outer wall ready to use. I seriously doubt Airstream ran a wire for a second AC in my 34'. The whole main breaker box would have to be different anyway for 50A service. What I'm saying here is adding a second AC later down the road may be a whole lot more difficult than getting it when new. I can't imagine having to fish wire from the vent back... there's gotta be framing in the way.

I'm getting by with the little 9" CRT TV we had until there's an HDTV LCD TV, not only with analog component video (YPrPb) input, but digital HDMI-HDCP, and an ATSC (digital) over-the-air tuner as well. It's the new standard for video connection, on practically all the new satellite and cable boxes, and I want to save the single YPrPB input for the DVD player. It also may well be that when HD-DVD ever gets here, it will be HDMI-HDCP only. The standard batwing Wineguard antenna will be fine for ATSC HDTV. Actually, I'd like to mount a pull-down screen from the ceiling and run an LCD projector from the couch overhead.

I'm not sure how many Fantastic Vents are standard now.

The 34 handles and tows great. I give some of the credit for that to the Hensley Hitch though. I towed it up to Jackson Center one day with 35-40 mph crosswinds with gusts to 65 mph. Semis were pulling off the highway, but I didn't feel a thing in the truck.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
My 34' actually tows easier than my previous 31'. It tracks very true. One thing that can be done with the 2nd ac unit is to run a dedicated power cord just for the second unit. This way you can use 30 amps for the main breaker and 15/20 amp circuit for the 2nd ac. I have seen this done and it works very satisfactory.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Wonder if the weight issue you describe contributed to our multiple tire failure?

But figrue this:

- GY Marathon Max load 2540 @ 65 psi = 10160 lbs (we have always used 65 psi per AS manual - check them each morning when on the go)
- Trailer GVWR 8700 (we rarely run more than 8200 - carry lots in truck bed)
- Figure 800 lbs on tongue (about 10%)
- If fully loaded, tires are carrying only about 8000 lbs, or about 80% of needed capacity.

We are going to do a weigh-in shortly after repairing the underside panel.

Am curious what you mean by "marginally" too heavy? Isn't that enough margin?

We have the Hensley and have not had a single sway problem. Would not tow without it - period. We're sold.

We like both our skylights. We wish the one in the bath was clear like the one up front. We would like to have vista views AND both skylights. Light is worth the maintenance.

We find our 15000 BTU is adequate. However, it is noisy

We like cooking in our convection/microwave oven. We are using the microwave feature more than the convection. We use generators when we need to cook. Otherwise, stove top coooking and a gas grill will do for us.

On cell reception, we use the Digital Antenna product at home and are going to use it in the trailer - PowerMaxTM DA4000MR Dual Band Mobile Wireless Cellular Amplifier / Repeater. Makes a BIG difference - much more than a just an external antenna.

We are also adding an external 802.11b/g wireless antenna. Going to use a Cisco yagi, and am working now on how to mount it. Having wireless INTERNET is more important to us than TV. We've not had a TV in ours yet. Haven't missed it.

Will look around a bit for how ours is wired.

73/gus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
The best explanation seems to be that the 30 Limited is marginally too heavy for the tires (same tires as on my 25 Classic) and even at maximum pressure, the trailer wallows and steers itself all over the road. A second friend with a 30 non-Limited has had some instability problems, but less so than the Limited. The dual-cam solved it for him.
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 01:19 PM   #32
Craftsman

I have a price sheet for the 2005 34" Classic dated 11/19/04 that lists the basic price as $74,193.00. The price on the corporate site is now $4,360.00 higher. I know that they are now off the line with disc brakes which adds to the cost, but does anyone know the average yearly % increase in price? Seems like the Classics with options will soon be topping the $100,000.00 mark.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:51 PM   #33
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think the last 2 years it's been between 5 and 7% across the board. I'd assume the same for the soon to start 2006 model year.......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 02:28 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
2005 Ltd

No one has really mentioned the problem with the new large trailers from Airstream and that is the Cargo Carrying Capacity(CCC). Regardless of what the NCC may be and I am not sure how that gets calculated, the real CCC is placarded on the interior, usually on a wardrobe door. While at the Florida State Rally I found the following:

34' SOD Classic
GVW: 10500
minus
UVW: 9492 That is the out-of-the-factory weight. Any Dealer add-ons must be added to this weight.

Weight of Water 61gal @ 8.3lb/gal 504
Weight of Propane 14gal @ 4.2lb 60

Cargo Carrying Capacity 444 lbs

----------------------------------------------------
34' Classic
GVW: 9800
UVW: 8089
Weight of Water 61gal @ 8.3lb/gal 504
Weight of Propane 14gal @ 4.2lb 60
Cargo Carrying Capacity 1147

Be very careful about adding too much or loading too much. It doesn't take too much to overload it. For the Slide Out, groceries and a pair of socks will be about all you can carry.

I mentioned the problem to the Airstream rep and his response was that if people want corian counters, slideouts, real wood etc... they have to understand that they are sacrificing load carrying capacity. That seemed a little cavalier to me. There is no real danger of breaking the unit in two if you overload it, but the warrantee might be at risk as well as an accelerated miles to failure of things like bearings, tires, wheels, axles, not to mention over flexing of the frame.

My '78 31' Excella has extruded aluminum framing on everything. Airstream seems to have gotten away from the "weight consciencness" that made them last forever.

Just food for thought.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of WBCCI Florida State Rally-1 (90).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	11272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Classic CCC3.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	11273  

www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
https://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 03:12 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Centerville , Utah
Jack, I ordered a 30' Classic w/SO back in Jan., and took delivery only a few weeks ago, so it should be pretty representative of what is coming off-line now.
I ordered the skylights, larger frig, 15,000 btu AC, microwave/convection, generator prep, and audio/vidio upgrade including satellite radio. I'm happy with all, except might omit the front skylight if doing over. The audio part of the package is in the overhead cabinit over the sofa. The LCD TV is nice, but I may eventually look into changing out the 15" for a little larger unit, and wall-mounting the 15" in the bedroom. The bedroom is wired for a TV, but the only power outlet at the TV station location is a 12-volt plug. If you decide against the limited package (as I did), you can still get the larger propane tanks as a low-cost option. I think you can also get the electric jacks as a stand-alone option.
Overall, Airstream builds a reasonably good unit, but my experience is that their quality control and attention to detail is suffering. I have made one short "check-out" trip, after which it has been back at the dealer's service shop for the last 3 weeks getting a long list of problems hopefully resolved. Based on progress to-date, I estimate another week to 10 days before I get it back. Maybe mine was a "Friday afternoon" unit!
Good Luck
Tom Riley
tomriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 03:56 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Centerville , Utah
Vic,
With regard to the limited NCC, Airstream has increased the GVWR, effective sometime around the end of 2004, by installing higher-rated axles. The 34'SO now has a GVWR of 11,500 lbs.
Tom
tomriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 04:46 PM   #37

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I think the last 2 years it's been between 5 and 7% across the board. I'd assume the same for the soon to start 2006 model year.......
And you start applying that percentage against an already high price, you get some substantial $$.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 05:35 PM   #38
Craftsman

I've put off ordering the 34' for a number of months because we've been house shopping for a place outside of the city where I could build a larger shop and have room to store a new 34'. I'm still very concerned about the quality issues. It's a lot of money to put out as anyone who has bought new knows, especially if it spends much time at the dealers being repaired. Well ,yesterday we signed a contract on a house that borders a State park just outside of Baltimore. We have a river that flows at the back of the property that is great for trout fishing ,canoeing and swimming,and the State park starts on the other side of the river The best part is there is loads of room for the Airstream. A tight driveway may cause some maneuvering problems but once I clear the drive the back opens to a gravel area large enough to rotate the trailer 360 degrees. Does anyone have any experence with Power Caster or Electric Trailer Dolly?
Old 12-22-2007, 10:26 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
Chewelah , Washington
I own a 2005 34' classic and the inner wall wiring just fell apart between the thermostat and the gas furnace. called a/s they said gosh we're sorry for you but no help from us your out of warranty. $500.00 later now I have a wire running outside the walls from the air conditioner to the floor and the furnace drawer Thanks again for such great Q/C on this unit.
dan50w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2005 classic