Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2016, 09:28 PM   #1
Njg
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Columbia , Missouri
Water pressure regulator

I just realized the AI comes with a built-in water pressure regulator. I had always used a regulator at the shore water hookup, this may explain my low pressure. Does everyone trust the built-in regulator or does the group also use an additional external regulator?

Also just invested in one of the progressive voltage and surge protectors. There really should be a list of "have to haves" and "nice to haves" provided by dealers..
Njg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Water pressure regulator

I use a high flow external regulator to protect my hoses. The kind with a gauge and adjustable pressure. Camco makes one is brass. The simple in-line ones don't do as well.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:57 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
the biltin one is plastic and leaked (standerd flood) junked it and use brass one at park stand.
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njg View Post
I just realized the AI comes with a built-in water pressure regulator. I had always used a regulator at the shore water hookup, this may explain my low pressure. Does everyone trust the built-in regulator or does the group also use an additional external regulator?
These things aren't dividers, so having two won't significantly impact your pressure unless one of them is doing a poor job. The built-in regulator reduces the pressure to I think 55psi (same pressure that the internal pump runs at). If your water pressure at the faucets is OK when disconnected from city supply, but too low when connected (and pump off), then either the city supply pressure is low (turn your pump on to assist), or your external regulator is doing a poor job. If you really want peace of mind, purchase and use a high quality adjustable pressure regulator, connect it to the city supply bib, and set it to 55psi. Job done.

P.S. To answer your question, I always use an external regulator just because I have it and have always used one. I can see cases where insanely high city pressure could overwhelm the built-in regulator (potentially causing a leak), so I will continue to use the external regulator at the city hookup. FWIW, I also have a "Y" after my regulator so I have a sane flow rate for external use and black tank flush (which has a back-flow preventer inline....).
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Belt and suspenders.

We always use an inline pressure regulator in addition to the OEM behind the city water intake.

Redundancy is a good thing.

Redundancy is a good thing.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I always used a quality external regulator in addition to the built-in ... until I camped at Two Rivers RV Park in Nashville, TN.... when the water-flow was so reduced inside the AS I complained to the mgmt.
They suggested I remove the external regulator,....and things were just fine after than.

I didn't realize the AS regulator was plastic.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I always used a quality external regulator in addition to the built-in ... until I camped at Two Rivers RV Park in Nashville, TN.... when the water-flow was so reduced inside the AS I complained to the mgmt.
They suggested I remove the external regulator,....and things were just fine after than.

I didn't realize the AS regulator was plastic.
Not sure how the pump works on your trailer, but on the Interstate you can run it to boost the city pressure. Did you try this?

Re. removing the regulator, unless your regulator was malfunctioning or set incorrectly (assuming by "quality" you mean brass/adjustable w/ a gauge), it makes no sense that it would adversely affect the pressure in your trailer. A "quality" regulator will provide whatever outlet pressure you set it to, provided the inlet pressure exceeds that value.....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
So did mine under high pressure. Use a regulator.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I too use an external pressure regulator at the CG faucet. It sometimes further reduces the water flow inside but you can always turn on your water pump for those moments you need more flow. I've read the AS regulator has a tendency to leak as time goes on so why not play it safe & take the pressure off the internal regulator & hopefully prevent future leaking. I've also read that these regulators require some wall removal to access them.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote