Old 05-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #15
Roving Sewist

2003 25' Safari
Sanger , Texas
I have replaced TWO modules outside water is screwed into to

The TWO water leaks I have had were very similar, behind the toilet AND in the hallway.

Both times it required replacing the module with outside water hookup. Did not require removing toilet, just a person removing a panel on the inside and another person on the outside.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:02 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Still trying to isolate the problem...

...and we have it narrowed down to possibly two things:

1. The bathroom sink (we haven't used it since and haven't had a leak since).

2. The water heater (we haven't used it and haven't had a leak).

The next time we hook up to electric, we will do it with the water heater on. If that doesn't produce the leak, we will try to isolate it to the sink in the bathroom.

One other point of note is that a recent RV park stay they said they had extremely high water pressure (160 PSI if I remember correctly). I'm wondering if that might have been the start of the problems, since it seems to occur intermittently.

Thanks for all of the input.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:54 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKrueger View Post
One other point of note is that a recent RV park stay they said they had extremely high water pressure (160 PSI if I remember correctly). I'm wondering if that might have been the start of the problems, since it seems to occur intermittently.

160 PSI would be bonkers - my regulator gauge doesn't even go up that high. Where was the park located - at the bottom of a canyon half way down to China?

Here's a pic of a warning sign I saw in one park, and the corresponding measured pressure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151214_PRESSURE_DUO.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	262716  
Old 05-18-2016, 07:20 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
For what it's worth, I haven't hooked up to city water since Doug died...I have too much trouble getting connections tight enough to prevent leaks, then loosened to remove them.

And then, there's the water pressure issue, one more thing to deal with outside in inclement weather, and ease/convenience of hookup and departure when one is only dealing with electricity.

I keep one of those space-reducing green hoses in my rear compartment, and it takes just a few minutes to top off the fresh water tank when needed, from whatever potable water source.

These are not recommended for hookups, but we have been using one of these for fresh water fills for years without any problem.

I like always having a good supply of fresh water when traveling, because you never know....

Maggie
Old 05-18-2016, 09:22 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKrueger View Post
...and we have it narrowed down to possibly two things:

1. The bathroom sink (we haven't used it since and haven't had a leak since).

2. The water heater (we haven't used it and haven't had a leak).

The next time we hook up to electric, we will do it with the water heater on. If that doesn't produce the leak, we will try to isolate it to the sink in the bathroom.

You can access the sink in the bath by removing the four screws on the access panel on the rearside bath wall under the wardrobe. The sink has hoses that are simply screwed on. You can easily inspect, and tighten them. You can also inspect the drain line under the sink.

High pressure would likely leak on the other side of the van, near the water inlet located on the side of the van. It supposedly has a built in pressure regulator, but mine leaked on more than one occasion, and on inspection, I found that it is a cheap plastic device, held together with four screws, and every one was loose, allowing it to leak under high pressure. I since tightened them, and now use a brass regulator on the outside as well. I would not trust that plastic part to withstand high pressure.

I doubt the water heater has anything to do with it. Too far away from where the water is showing up.

Good luck!
Old 05-19-2016, 06:07 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Increasingly, I'm with Maggie on this one, although our reasons might differ somewhat. I haven't hooked up to city water since December 2015. If I'm traveling with my kid (female teens are water hogs), or if I don't like the campground and I'm planning to shower in the Interstate, sure - hook up both city water and have a continuous open gray water connection. But otherwise, the fresh tank is the way to go. In the spirit of "use it or lose it", the best way to keep tank slime from getting out of control is to cycle frequently (fill, use, purge the residual, with chlorine shocks about every fifth cycle). I can't do that if I'm on city water.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:11 PM   #21
Njg
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Columbia , Missouri
We had a leak with the first use of our shower, freaked out, discovered that the shower curtain needs to be velcroed down, used the Velcro properly, leak has not recurred. Could the issue be as simple as shower curtain use? If use of the curtain is this important, why did they use Velcro dots and not a Velcro strip?