Old 09-28-2015, 08:04 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTRisk View Post
Can all you folks out there with sprinters tell me your likes and dislikes of the airstream sprinter? The good,bad and ugly? Please be honest with opinions.
I'm considering a 16 Grand Tour, but seems like this forum has a lot of complaints and issues threads. Not a lot of positive whats great about it threads. Its a pricey unit, and I don't want to make a purchase mistake. We are down sizing from a Prevost Marathon.
Thank for all your input,
FLTRISK
No need to repeat all the caveats about this forum over-representing problems, etc. However, one perspective I have is that many (including myself) initially expect the same quality, performance, etc as a luxury automobile because of the brand name(s) and purchase price. E.g. I've owned several Lexuses and Audis and found myself frequently thinking how stupid that AI has all these problems, inconsistencies, finish issues, etc.

I think a better way of thinking about it is if you built a small spec-home on a high quality truck chassis. The Mercedes truck chassis should be near-flawless (although with some frustrations relating to options not selected like tire pressure monitoring, DEF gauge, etc)

The "house" part is not custom, but it is built highly manually according to a spec. Lots of room for human error and change / inconsistency. You're going to have a "punchlist" when you take delivery. But while that should be easy to take care of, you're likely to have continuing little problems show up down the line like unexplained leaks, weird wiring, fasteners coming loose, etc. You're probably also going to want to make your own design changes relatively soon, especially in the area of power mgt, batteries, and solar.

Most people seem to take care of these over time (either DIY or thru service) and eventually get to where they're pretty satisfied with the basic unit . The diesel engine, and the functionality / flexibility of the AI are just awesome. And I think the inside finish of the cabinetry, etc are unmatched by other makers, with possible exception of LeisureVans.

(btw .. i would add that the dealer network is not NEARLY comparable to a luxury auto network. That's why it seems many people start relying on their own miscellaneous service providers)

Here's another thought: We absolutely love our AI for it's tidiness, utility, and flexibility. But if you're downsizing from a big bus ... you're going to think it's TINY inside. We are both thin, very polite, and divide up the workload between front and back when we're inside. We still find ourselves squeezing past one another frequently. We laugh about it. Also we're very active. We really don't "camp" as much as we drive from place to place to explore those places. We do a lot of eating and sleeping inside, but not much else. SO BEWARE THE SMALL SPACE. it could be a deal-breaker for someone downsizing from a big bus.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I do not own an Interstate, so I really ain't got a dog in this hunt, but our friends have an Interstate.
They are small on the inside. Our Interstate-owning friends kept their Allegro Bus for local camping and use the Interstate for distant traveling/camping.
We have choreographed an "Interstate dance" while eating meals in the Interstate- one person at a time to the counter to fix a plate while the other 3 remain seated and turn their feet sideways to keep from getting their toes stepped on, especially when wearing Birkenstocks. All this while a happy Peekapoo is running up and down the aisle. Don't step on the dog!
The Interstate is nice. It drives well. It is dependable. It is economical. The contemporary styling is pleasant. It does a good job of towing a golf cart trailer. The one drawback is that it is small.
We usually caravan/camp together- us with our trailer and them with their Interstate.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks71 View Post
(btw .. i would add that the dealer network is not NEARLY comparable to a luxury auto network. That's why it seems many people start relying on their own miscellaneous service providers)

Actually there are just a handful of Mercedes dealers around the country that also sell Interstates, and you do get luxury service from them - but their service fees are high.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
We have choreographed an "Interstate dance" while eating meals in the Interstate- one person at a time to the counter to fix a plate while the other 3 remain seated and turn their feet sideways to keep from getting their toes stepped on, especially when wearing Birkenstocks. All this while a happy Peekapoo is running up and down the aisle. Don't step on the dog!
Interstate dance... I'm going to have to remember that one.

I will say that this issue is minimized in the models where the rear Sprinter doors are still able to function as foot doors (older T1N rear lateral couch version and presumably the newer twin model). I don't bother squeezing and dancing when other people are present - I just go around the outside of the vehicle, a rather circuitous route to the chow, but I don't mind. I might have to start dancing in a serious rainstorm, though.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:22 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Vienna , Virginia
Downsizing from a Prevost Marathon to an AI??? Are you crazy? It will be like trying to move around in a Mini Cooper--yikes! I'll even trade. 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-28-2015, 08:42 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Tulsa , Oklahoma
We have a 2016 GT. I agree with comments above...with the additional point-if you are camping in the boonies any length of time you will find that rodents LOVE the wiring. This is truly a major problem. Some say Mercedes uses wiring that is vegetable based instead of petroleum based. I don't know if that is right or not. But I will pretty well guarantee you if you park in mountains for any length of time you will spend several hundred dollars replacing wiring each time with wiring they will eat next. I've heard (and tried) most of "solutions" offered. Not sure any provides complete protection.

Probably a good class action suit here against Mercedes to get them to replace wiring with wiring pests don't eat.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:18 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Squirrels have attacked my firewall insulation. So far I have stopped their assault with "Bounce" sheets and a high volume ultra sonic repellant. Just have to remove it all before I start the engine........
Old 09-29-2015, 02:29 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
Squirrels have attacked my firewall insulation. So far I have stopped their assault with "Bounce" sheets and a high volume ultra sonic repellant. Just have to remove it all before I start the engine........
In the engine compartment, take the BOUNCE sheets and tuck/wrap them on to the wire harness. That way you do not have to remove them when motoring down the road. I also put the BOUNCE sheets near the cabin air filter housing. I do remove those to avoid an issue with the sheet blocking air flow. My storage garage smells so good because of the number of BOUNCE sheets I have placed in and around the coach.
FYI: Incredible Edible Car
German cars serve as smorgasbord for rodents | Globalnews.ca
Old 09-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Tell me about your interstate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsprinter View Post
We have a 2016 GT. I agree with comments above...with the additional point-if you are camping in the boonies any length of time you will find that rodents LOVE the wiring. This is truly a major problem. Some say Mercedes uses wiring that is vegetable based instead of petroleum based. I don't know if that is right or not. But I will pretty well guarantee you if you park in mountains for any length of time you will spend several hundred dollars replacing wiring each time with wiring they will eat next. I've heard (and tried) most of "solutions" offered. Not sure any provides complete protection.

Probably a good class action suit here against Mercedes to get them to replace wiring with wiring pests don't eat.

Rodents eating wiring is NOT limited to Mercedes vehicles. I've seen complaints about rodent wiring damage on every brand of vehicle you can imagine. It think it's more a function of hungry critters.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I know rodents love to chew on wires on Mazdas and Nissans-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:30 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Tulsa , Oklahoma
Great RV for our use, but rodents...

I agree with all the positive comments above. One BIG problem not mentioned that I saw was rodents eating insulation on wires. I don't know how purely urban users fare, but I can tell you...if you plan to go boondocking for several days in one place, if you are in the mountains, the rodents WILL eat your wiring. No matter what you do, the best you can hope for is that you minimize it.

We have $450 bill after trip to mountains. Friend of mine had more eaten and his bill was $1,000.

Any attorneys out there? Mercedes continuing to produce product with this wiring is shocking. They surely have known about this problem for years. Does your Lexus, Toyota, Ford or whatever have wiring eaten? Of course not.

Mercedes should send every Sprinter owner new wiring harnesses with appropriate wire used.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:51 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Tulsa , Oklahoma
Sorry for reperition

My first response seemed lost. It eventually showed up but I didn't see it. Sorry for duplication.