Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #381
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Great idea, InterBlog!

XNewYorker, might make yourself a short list of ideas that particularly appealed to you to have at hand as you start looking around your new rig and figuring out how you want to set thngs up. Just a thought.

InterBlog, there are many cast iron fans on these Forums. Some of us have a need to carry a few pounds of it with us, and wouldn't be without it.

Maggie
Old 11-22-2014, 08:22 AM   #382
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Tide Pods

Having initially loved and posted here about these for travel, because they are so easy and space-economical, I will not be carrying them any more.

They don't tolerate temperature extremes well, sticking together and then ripping apart when you go to pull one out.

Thus, spilling the liquid within into the Pods bag, which can then spill onto other things if the bag is not quite upright. Ask me how I know this.....

I discovered this awhile ago, had not thought to post it til dropping gooey bits of partially dissolved Pods into my home washer this am, using them up.

If you are traveling for short periods, they may still work well for you, or if you have someplace to store your laundry items that is more climate controlled than the wet bath where I store mine.

I will be carrying homemade laundry detergent from here on out, as it is financially and spatially economical, and covers all laundry needs at all temperatures, but for "good darks", for which I carry a small bottle of Woolite Dark or some such similar product....whatever I have a coupon for.

For those who haven't seen this recipe, found online, going to find it and post it here for anyone who might be interested. I love it.

Maggie
Old 11-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #383
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Best Homemade Laundry Detergent

1 Box Borax
1 box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
5 lbs Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
3 lbs OxyClean
2 bars Fels Naptha, grated.

All of these items are found in your laundry product aisle.

Mix all together, store in lidded container. Use 3 tablespoons or so per full load, a bit more if heavily soiled.

Maggie
Old 11-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #384
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Findlay , OH
Maggie, can one use this laundry detergent in a high efficiency (he) machine? Perhaps you know the answer - and thank you for sharing.

~Allyson
PurdueMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #385
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueMom View Post
Maggie, can one use this laundry detergent in a high efficiency (he) machine? Perhaps you know the answer - and thank you for sharing.

~Allyson
Yes, that's what I have at home.

Some don't want the OxyClean, which you could leave out, but I have always loved it for its stain-removing and brightening properties......and, it was part of this original recipe.

Maggie
Old 11-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #386
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
OxyClean is a gift from God!
We use it everywhere...
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #387
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, I agree, Bruce.

With this laundry detergent, I no longer have to carry OxyClean to use as an additive.

Thinking about how to carry it in the Interstate, I have hit upon using the FoodSaver and doing a couple of one gallon bags.

They will stow easily like this, and be vacuum sealed away from moisture. I can pull one out and transfer to a ziploc bag as I need them.

I love my FoodSaver. One of the best space savers I have found.

Maggie
Old 11-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #388
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Instead of Fels Naptha (which i hate grating) I started substituting Ivory snow. I use the same measurement for the load. It works well. I use it in my HE machine.

Kate
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #389
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's a good idea, Kate!

I dislike grating it, too, but really love the light, citrusy scent.

You can add some drops of orange essential oil, too, I have read, which would give the same fresh fragrance.

Some need or like unscented......me, I'm a light aroma girl.

Maggie
Old 11-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #390
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
In our 'front loader' HE machine, the solids of this recipe don't work well.. instead, just add to the washer when you are ready to start the machine.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:22 AM   #391
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have a HE front loader, and put this detergent in the bottom of the washer when adding the clothes.

I believe that is where dry products are to go in front loaders, and is where I used to put OxyClean.

Maggie
Old 11-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #392
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Alternatively, they can read this blog post below which will be a lot more efficient.
Actually, I figured out this morning that a I needed a dedicated blog post category for this topic, not just one or two summary posts, because I haven't yet scratched the surface of the optimization that we plan to do with our Interstate.

Here's a link to the post category. My second post features a lot of products (mainly kitchen and lighting) that were not referenced in this original forum thread.

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: SMALL SPACE LIVING TIPS

Thanks, and keep the ideas coming!
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:21 AM   #393
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
How nice of you to summarize and organize all of that, InterBlog, especially for new owners of any small space.

I'm sure we'll keep finding and posting new ideas to make traveling life a bit easier.

Maggie
Old 11-26-2014, 05:28 AM   #394
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Excellent thread, not just for Interstate owners.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #395
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
The best thing I've found is the Stowaway II hitch mounted cargo carrier. It provides storage space for all of our outdoor stuff including hoses, cord, surge protector, patio chairs, spare parts, bbq etc. We no longer use the back doors to access any of that stuff and it frees up inside storage for inside stuff. On a recent month long trip we were fully provisioned except for occasionally picking up beveriges and snacks and occasionally doing laundry.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:53 AM   #396
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We really needed our hitch hauler when traveling with the grandkids, or for hauling firewood to nearby rallies.

We would not have traveled with it, otherwise, as the extra few feet in the rear makes a big difference.

We went to folding bicycles, that could ride inside, for the same reason. Set them outside or move them to the front at night, depending on where we were and if we were staying a night or awhile.

Did the same with our camp chairs.

One or two people can easily manage within the space of an Interstate, if you want to or need to, and just set your mind to it. Our longest trip was 140+ consecutive days.

You decide what you have to have with you, and leave everything else behind. Lots of trial and error in this, for us, and we learned something every trip.

Not finding ourselves using a grill but occasionally, we left that behind and just picked up a disposable one for a few uses, when we had the urge for grilled meat......usually that was Doug having that urge.

We prepared ourselves all but perhaps one meal per week, and lived very comfortably.

We looked upon it as something of a challenge.

Maggie
Old 11-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #397
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Good pointer on the disposible grill, Maggie. Our portable gas grill travelled 7700 miles with us on our last trip and never left it's storage bag. We'll try the disposable idea on our next trip! Hmm? Now what can I take to fill that empty space?
Old 11-27-2014, 04:56 AM   #398
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
We'll try the disposable idea on our next trip! Hmm? Now what can I take to fill that empty space?
That's the thing.....the need to fill all spaces.

We did the same, especially with our first RV......I had all kinds of things out there, just in case I needed them.

Whatever you are carrying, you pay the fuel for transporting it, that's how we looked at it with the hitch hauler. Sometimes we needed it, and loved having it, but could easily do without it for just the two of us. On long trips, space-efficiency was most important,

The basic rule of thumb, particularly for large items, is that if you don't use it on a trip, leave it behind on the next.

As to the grill, we just planned meals that didn't require one 99% of the time.

When you are on a longer trip, you eat differently than on a weekend campout....at least, that's what we did.

Remember, too, that there are grocery stores everywhere. You can replenish and restock along the way....part of the fun.

Maggie
Old 11-27-2014, 09:33 AM   #399
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Great points Maggie!
Old 11-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #400
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Maybe of interest to others....we have been searching for some space efficient pots and pans, partially to minimize size for storage but also (because we are installing a Dometic sink/burner combo in our Argosy MH) minimum real-estate on the burner (it has two small burners, quite close together).

We have been tent and trailer campers for many years so used to the flimsy stackable cooksets made for camping and wanted something considerably better.

Well our solution appears to be the new Ingenio range made by Tefal (aka T-fal in the US). These are domestic quality (10 year guarantee) pans and accessories designed specifically for 'space efficiency', .

I couldn't find any supplier in the US so importing a few items from the UK (they are available from Amazon.co.uk but not Amazon.com)....relatively expensive yes but I think worth it.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote