Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #221
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
We've just been through the whole "manly" thing areound here recently on this very thread, and I came out the worse for it. So I'm staying far, far away from this one!
Can you imagine how bad it might have been, had you also told us you had one of these in your Interstate?!
Attached Images

weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #222
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal me View Post
44 Cheap And Easy Ways To Organize Your RV/Camper

Storage solutions. I like the collapsible silicon drinking mug, and the paper towels under the table.
I came across that link too. Great stuff, but, most of it wouldn't work in my Interstate. I have no doors. I have no shelves. I'm not going to drill into my laminate panels to attach anything. I have no walls. Oh wait...I have no room!!
Old 03-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #223
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A lot of the ideas on that site we have collectively come up with on this thread, tho.

Maggie
Old 03-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #224
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Can you imagine how bad it might have been, had you also told us you had one of these in your Interstate?!
I do. But it's solid black.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #225
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockinbrd View Post

For most spices I use small 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" zip lock bags. You can get 100 for about $7.50 from Amazon.
Once filled, I throw 20 or so in a large 'spice' plastic bag to keep them a little bit organized.
I just found this idea today. Put your spices into Tic-Tac containers!
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2014, 05:13 AM   #226

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
I just found this idea today. Put your spices into Tic-Tac containers!
Yeah, but just who goes through that many Tic-Tacs? Took me a couple of weeks to empty out ONE Tic-Tac container, and for those weeks, the only thing I tasted was mint. Which was disconcerting when I was eating steak…

I miss the old days of cameras that used actual film, because film canisters were just so handy for condiments and such, and even a hobbyist photographer went through dozens of them in a year so there was no shortage of supply. You had to put a label on the canisters to know what was in each, but still…

Now, I wash out my empty prescription medication bottles, and use them for spices, single-servings of nuts, etc. Prescription labels removed, of course.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:43 AM   #227
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We seem to be the exception, in that our 06 Interstate has a spice rack...at least, that's what I call it ....across the underside of the upper galley cabinet.

I found some lovely, glass and brushed stainless jars that are lined up across there with my favorite spices, peppercorns, etc. An advantage to being old.

I wonder why they stopped putting those in....they are very handy.

Maggie
Old 03-06-2014, 06:00 AM   #228

2012 Interstate Coach
I use these bins in my overhead lockers:
Mainstays 3-Pack Medium Bins - Walmart.com

And— wonder of wonders— they aren't black. I went with the "natural" canvas color.

These bins are especially handy for the overhead locker directly over the stove where I keep my non-perishable foods. I load up the bins at home, and then just put the bins in the locker (two bins just fit side-by-side). Greatly speeds up packing for a trip. And the bins make it easier to find what I'm looking for because I can take the bins out and rummage through them if need be, rather than pulling everything out of the locker one item at a time to find what I need. Plus the added benefit that stuff packed in the bins don't shift as much in transit because of the compartmentalization.

There is a small amount of "waste" space because the bins taper, but once the bins are in the locker, I can pack small items such as my diabetic testing supplies in the space between the bins.

These bins also make my large rear overhead locker more user-friendly. The crossways locker (which Maggie doesn't have due to her twin-bed layout) has cubbyholes in the rear corners that are hard to access. But one of these bins slides right into each cubbyhole so I can store small by seldom-used items in those cubbyholes.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #229
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Our overhead "bins" are 2 sets of 2 stacking plastic washpans, that can be used for.... washpans. The inner tubs hold dishes and utensils.

Especially when we're living more outside, and food preparation and washing up are done on the picnic table, we remove the outer pair for this purpose. Use #2 is that one or two of them come in very handy as a hot water saving device for when we shower in the Bambi's wet bath. (One goes on the toilet lid and one on the floor to stand in.)
The reason for the double-stack is that this way we can free up the plastic tubs without having to unpack and repack their contents.

Our #3 bin is a plain old cardboard box for miscellany, which is anything from playing cards to clothesline to extra pens.

Sadly, no room for a lot of spice jars, so we take (1) an Italian herb blend, and (2) a cinnamon/nutmeg/ginger sort of baking blend, plus pepper, salt and a few condiments like hot sauce and soy sauce. These go into a cut-to-fit small cardboard box that is lower at the back due to the curvature inside the upper food cupboard over the sink.

We haven't gotten to the point yet of shaving our toothbrushes as a space-saving measure, but that is possibly next.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #230
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
For those who take along a portable grill the following folding BBQ tool set turned out to be quite nice. Constructed of decent guage Stainless Steel with genuine wood handles. The tools lock open and closed.

Amazon.com: Cuisinart 3-Piece Folding Tool Set: Patio, Lawn & Garden

For a grill, we purchased one of the following and purchased a valve/oriface to convert it to run directly off of the rv LP propane system. We're very happy with the grill too.

Camco 58145 Stainless Steel Portable Propane Gas Grill with Storage Bag : Amazon.com : Automotive
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #231
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Have not been on here in awhile. My life has changed a bit.

One of Doug's twice a year or so tasks was to empty out under the benches and vacuum that area. With a dog, and/or if you are in a sandy area, a phenomenal amount of hair, sand, dust, etc., accumulates under and behind the benches.

Now, me, simply vacuuming under the benches was not sufficient, as I could see dog hair and other accumulation behind the benches, in areas not accessible by a vacuum wand or even my long arms. Doug probably saw this, too, but likely it did not stir him to clean it as it did me.

Don't know why it hadn't occurred to me before, tho probably because I was not the one under there, to use the narrow, flexible hose attachment to the vacuum cleaner that we use to clean the dryer vent periodically.

Used it this morning. I'm sure the areas are not white-glove-test clean, but a whole lot of hair and debris came out of those next-to-the-wall areas, behind the benches, simply by poking the wand thru the seat of the bench and moving it around.

Makes me feel better, just to know that much crud is now out of there, even if I didn't get it all.

This picture is not exactly what we have, but similar, and may be better than ours, as it looks longer and more narrow. There are many available.

Just wanted to share.

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #232
1 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Carrollton , Texas
just took my newly acquired 2011 Airstream Avenue B for a dry run at a local lake campground with my granddaughter. Due to the tiny spaces, consolidating storage is my priority. I love this forum--full of great ideas. Please continue sending in ideas. What about storage containers for the blank bathroom wall facing the sofa bed? Can I put short screws into that pristine laminate wall to hold a "file" size plastic holder"? I have ordered Road Trek's sleeping mattress kits that are going to become my two granddaughters twin bed accommodations (extends between left driver swiveled seat and the left passenger seat for one; the other extends between the right front passenger swiveled seat and the right back passenger seat). Anyone every use those? Where to stow them? Also I am at loss for cup holders inside the van. Any ideas? Where do you put your quart of milk...the frig doesn't hold one, except for laying down on its side? Also where do you store the large rectangular brick bolsters that tuck in between the extended sofa and the walls of the fridge and bathroom?? Thanks from a new user- TexasGal
TexasGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #233
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Greetings, and welcome!

There are not a lot of Avenue B folks posting on these forums, but there are a few, so they will hopefully chime in to help you with things specific to your unit.

We have items up with short screws, and have had no problems. Sometimes, only a screw will do, but many of us here are big fans of double stick and velcro tape......the heavy-duty kind will hold most things. Really depends on how much weight you need to hold.

No room for a quart of milk on your frig door? Laying down may be your only option, then, or buying pints.

Bathrooms are great for storage while you are traveling,

Once parked, we always move things that simply ride in the back to the front seats to give more room in the rear.

Let me think on cup holders, and maybe others will have some ideas.

You'll figure it out as you go.

Good luck, and if you have some great ideas be sure to share.

Maggie
Old 08-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #234
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Welcome to the Airforums.

I got some cup holders by Camco that fold up and are adjustable for my second row seats. Got them from Amazon.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #235
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
The 3M hooks are great too! No residue and no holes!
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:20 PM   #236
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Industrial strength Velcro works well.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:47 AM   #237
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This came in my Mother Earth Newsletter this am.

MOBOS @ ilovemobos.com

Recycled metals, pretty colors, small sizes, easy to mount.

Wanted to share,

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	218500  
Old 08-07-2014, 06:58 AM   #238
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Look at these small cabinets they have, with hinged cover!

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2014, 07:22 AM   #239
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Troy , Michigan
This is what I used to add a cupholder for the seat behind the driver.
Texas Saddlebags Wedge Cup Holder 35101/AC731: Search no more for the best Cup Holder at Advance Auto Parts

As the name implies, it's designed to 'wedge' between 2 seat cushions, but I drilled a couple of holes and attached it to the wall immediately below that nearly-useless hole on the street side wall, in front of the second row seat. The top of the cupholder has a lip that will rest conveniently on the edge of that hole. I used a couple of small machine screws, washers & nuts to attach it.
I haven't figured out how to add a cupholder for the curb side seat yet. The sliding door makes it more challenging.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cupholder.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	218502  
MotorCity57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #240
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
"I haven't figured out how to add a cupholder for the curb side seat yet. The sliding door makes it more challenging."

Something magnetic, perhaps, on the sliding door?

I think they also make cupholders that slip over an arm of a seat.

Maggie