Old 02-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #155
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Ditto on silicon pot holders. They are heat-resistent enough to double as trivets for hot pots-- another space-saving move.

BTW, lavender is very easy to grow in the garden or pot on a windowsill. You can dry it, and then stuff it into a pre-made cotton jelly or herb bag from the kitchen store, for those of us who don't sew-- or do so only under extreme duress, such as mending pants when the seat rips out.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #156
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am a devoted fan of silicone everything, and have large silicone mits at home that I wouldn't want to be without. Their innards are fabric, though, so they still need an inside-out run thru the washing machine every couple of weeks, as hands ar not always pristine when inserted for use.

So, y'all are saying I have solved a problem of my own making? I guess that's true!

Truth is, I like cotton potholders, and little minis I invented that I call "lid-lifters" because the silicone are not always as flexible as I need and would like.

At home, I have more room and so have both. In the Interstate, I only have cotton.

There is also the very important cute factor. I love the pop of color from pretty potholders, especially the crocheted ones from variegated yarns.

They make me happy.

And so, rather than wash all the potholders and hotmats every few days, a cedar sachet in each drawer is working very nicely to keep my drawers smelling fresh. I no longer open the utensil drawers and smell stale mexican, italian, pot roast, etc.

I grow lavender in my home garden. Love it, can't get enough of it. It is in all my drawers and closets.

Maggie

Old 02-24-2014, 10:40 AM   #157
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
There is also the very important cute factor. I love the pop of color from pretty potholders, especially the crocheted ones from variegated yarns.
I'm a guy. Single. And an engineer. I don't give a rip about cute, I just want stuff that works. Hence the Ove-Gloves.

But I am well aware that when it comes to the tools for domestic chores, I'm very much in the minority with that opinion. If cuteness floats your boat, power to you.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:44 AM   #158
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I'm a guy. Single. And an engineer. I don't give a rip about cute, I just want stuff that works. Hence the Ove-Gloves.

But I am well aware that when it comes to the tools for domestic chores, I'm very much in the minority with that opinion. If cuteness floats your boat, power to you.
Thank you.

Maggie
Old 02-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Thank you.

Maggie
I think it was a compliment.

We engineers can be a little blunt.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:46 AM   #160
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
The first step in getting help, is admitting you have a problem.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #161

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
The first step in getting help, is admitting you have a problem.
Which one is the problem? Being male? Being single? Being an engineer? If it's that last one, help is already on the way since I'm retiring at the end of the year. If it's one of the other two, then I'm beyond help.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #162

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
I use Ove-Gloves for handling pots and pans. Comsumer Reports gave them a favorable review in their July 2010 issue.
We very much liked and used Ove-Gloves too until I made the mistake of letting one get damp and then using it to pull a pan out of a 400 degree oven. Can you picture a steamed hand? After that we went to silicone oven gloves but I agree the Ove-Glove does feel more secure and it is not easy to find a silicone glove that fits my big hands. Not so much of a problem with my wife's smaller hand.

ó Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #163
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Which one is the problem? Being male? Being single? Being an engineer? If it's that last one, help is already on the way since I'm retiring at the end of the year. If it's one of the other two, then I'm beyond help.
No, just that you don't care about "cute!" The reasons behind it are irrelevant!!

And, congrats on your upcoming retirement!
Old 02-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #164
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I think it was a compliment.

We engineers can be a little blunt.
I perceived it as, at least, neutral.

Blunt is okay, as it is an honest feeling, right?

I'll take blunt over many other forms of communication...or lack, thereof....any day.

Maggie
Old 02-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #165

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
No, just that you don't care about "cute!" The reasons behind it are irrelevant!
I believe that form follows function. Sometimes, yes, cute can be important. Cute women are more likely to get a date. Cute pets are more likely to get adopted. Cute kids are more likely to get away with misbehaving.

But cute inanimate objects aren't any more functional than plain ones, and the few kitchen gadgets I buy are there to be used, not to be admired as decoration. So with regard to my kitchen stuff at least, I care not a whit about cute. I leave that to folks like Maggie who actually have an aesthetic and/or artistic sense, unlike the folks like me who have an ascetic and/or autistic sense instead.

As far as being blunt is concerned, that's my own fault. When God asked "Do you want some tact?" I thought he said "Thumtacks" so I replied, "No! Don't stick me with that!"
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 02-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #166
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
As far as being blunt is concerned, that's my own fault. When God asked "Do you want some tact?" I thought he said "Thumtacks" so I replied, "No! Don't stick me with that!"
Isn't "tact" the ability to say "nice doggie" while you're reaching around behind you for a stick? ... or is that diplomacy? I keep getting those confused.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #167
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
I believe that form follows function. Sometimes, yes, cute can be important. Cute women are more likely to get a date. Cute pets are more likely to get adopted. Cute kids are more likely to get away with misbehaving.

But cute inanimate objects aren't any more functional than plain ones, and the few kitchen gadgets I buy are there to be used, not to be admired as decoration. So with regard to my kitchen stuff at least, I care not a whit about cute. I leave that to folks like Maggie who actually have an aesthetic and/or artistic sense, unlike the folks like me who have an ascetic and/or autistic sense instead.

Pro,
You are so funny!
I thought we agreed you were a "cantankerous old man". I think that's how you described yourself.
So now we learn, you have no style.
Barbara Streisand said "all there is, is style".
We all eat, but is how well we eat differs greatly. And that' all style!
We all dress. But how we dress varies greatly. We can live with style or not. And It does not depend on income level but
Creativity and desire.
If I were you, I get a "cute" potholder from Maggie. If I ever meet her, I plan on getting one very cute one.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #168
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I will make Protag an un-cute potholder.....in a manly, strictly functional color such as black, navy, dark green, etc.

Maggie