Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #21
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I'd like to know what folks are doing with these tiny closets.

Works very well and uses vertical space rather than the limited cabinets. Lots of vertical space along the sides still goes to waste.
That "wasted" space along the sides of my full-height wardrobe closet is where I hang my mop and broom. And a long-handled squeegee for cleaing the windshield.

Floor of the closet holds a wire-frame fold-up mesh laundry basket that does double duty as a laundry hamper. When I reach the end of the trip, or when I'm ready to do laundry during a trip, the dirty clothes are already in the basket ready to go. Naturally, a deodorizer is in the closet down near the laundry basket, too.

Over-the-counter-door towel bar fits nicely on the top edge of the closet door (on the outside of the door), and holds a dish towel, very handy to my sink since the wardrobe closet is right next to the galley sink. To keep the towel from slipping off the bar in transit, I hold it in place with a couple of clothespins. If I wasn't traveling alone, that towel bar would hold a second bath towel instead, since the closet is also right opposite my wet bath.

By the way, I noticed in mine that when I open the wardrobe closet door all the way, it hits the corner of the "ottoman" seat (i.e. the curbside wheelwell box). I purchased a dome-shaped bumper and stuck it to that corner of the wheelwell box, so that the door doesn't get scarred up from hitting the corner. It's a "National Hardware V337 Soft Wall Door Stop." and I got a two-pack from Amazon for $6.37.
__________________

__________________
I thought getting old would take longer!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #22
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 15,898
Hmmm, good ideas there for a full length closet.

We carry a hand brush only, and our mop on the road is a rag and elbow grease.

Ours is like a half-closet, with some space below hanging clothes as well as along the sides. I have a few screw-in hooks on the sides, that help a small bit.

We tried stacking baskets in there, couldn't keep them stabilized in transit. And, we're not real handy.

We did put leftover cedar paneling on the floor of the closet, which looks and smells great as well as hopefully providing a level of insect deterrent.


Maggie
__________________

__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #23
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We carry a hand brush only, and our mop on the road is a rag and elbow grease.
I started off that way, too, but my foot surgery a couple years ago resulted in an ankle that doesn't bend the way an ankle is supposed to (still, that's better than amputation!). Getting down on my knees and back up again is an ordeal. So, I had to have the long-handled cleaning tools.

I do carry a small handheld rechargeable vacuum for the upholstery and the velour "imitation mouse fur" on the walls. It's also good for getting dirt out of the pedestal table sockets (I can sit in a seat and clean the table sockets, so my bad flipper doesn't interfere).
__________________
I thought getting old would take longer!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #24
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 15,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I do carry a small handheld rechargeable vacuum for the upholstery and the velour "imitation mouse fur" on the walls. It's also good for getting dirt out of the pedestal table sockets (I can sit in a seat and clean the table sockets, so my bad flipper doesn't interfere).
We have one of those, as well, which sits in its receptacle on the floor of the closet, the cord looped around a small hook and then snaking up to plug in one of TWO sets of inside outlets in ours. This one the same that the flat screen Tv is plugged into in the back.

We recently picked up a tiny version of this vacuum, which runs off the cigarette lighter, to use when not plugged into electricity for any length of time. With a shedding dog, this helps keep after that, as the loose hair wants to become airborne with a brush.


Maggie
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #25
Rivet Master
 
Someday'59's Avatar

 
1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 663
Images: 18
towels & laundry & piling stuff in the closet, oh my!

I am trying to decide if I belong in this thread or not. Admittedly, I'm not taking trips in an Interstate. There are 5 us though. When we're packing it helps to remember we're in a small(ish) space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Floor of the closet holds a wire-frame fold-up mesh laundry basket that does double duty as a laundry hamper. When I reach the end of the trip, or when I'm ready to do laundry during a trip, the dirty clothes are already in the basket ready to go. Naturally, a deodorizer is in the closet down near the laundry basket, too.
We have the "pop-up" kind of hamper and we also use it as a laundry basket after we've folded it. I'm looking for a nice folding one though. Pray tell, what kind of deodorizer? Our pop-up laundry hamper came with an anti-funk deodorizer on it but it seems to be wearing out. I'm looking for something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Over-the-counter-door towel bar fits nicely on the top edge of the closet door (on the outside of the door), and holds a dish towel, very handy to my sink since the wardrobe closet is right next to the galley sink. To keep the towel from slipping off the bar in transit, I hold it in place with a couple of clothespins. If I wasn't traveling alone, that towel bar would hold a second bath towel instead, since the closet is also right opposite my wet bath.
Good idea.
Regular towels seem to be a real estate luxury we can't afford. We use packtowels. Like, the backpacking kind. Conveniently, they each have a little loop on them. We put a couple of metal-looking 3M hooks in the bathroom for hanging towels. We even (gasp!) share towels to help out with space and laundry. Also, everyone has a personal packtowel washcloth & corresponding 3M hook. (Oh dear! I think my OCD is showing.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I'd like to know what folks are doing with these tiny closets.

We use wire hangers (take up less room than plastic) and those multi-pants hangers, also one of these hangs in the front which Doug & I share for socks and other small, personal items.
We have wooden closets in our house without wheels. So, we use those in the trailer, too. We give them a workout, though. One hanger might have: a short sleeve shirt, a long sleeve shirt over that, and then maybe a hoodie or sweater over that (depending on the season.) All 5 of our rainjackets go on one hanger. Also, I tend to wear things more than once before washing. Meaning (in theory) that I can take fewer clothes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We did put leftover cedar paneling on the floor of the closet, which looks and smells great as well as hopefully providing a level of insect deterrent.
Maggie
Does this help with hamper-funk? (Or maybe I'm the only one battling hamper-funk?)
__________________
~Lynnetta

my restoration & travel blog:
https://someday1959.blogspot.com
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #26
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 15,898
Anyone trying to do more with less space finds it a challenge and a work-in-progress, IMO. Of course you belong here!

I have tried layering clothing on hangers, we also have sticky hooks behind the driver seat which hold lightweight jackets and therefore don't take up precious closet space.

I abhor the look and smell of piles of dirty laundry. We have a popup, mesh hamper, which we store in the bathroom when we are traveling. I have a little hanging-pocket organizer on the wall in there, which holds razors, lotions, extra bars of my favorite soaps, etc., and that keeps odors of all kinds away.

You can pick up real lavender sachets many different places, which would be a good, natural deodorizer near laundry storage anywhere. If they start to lose their aroma, rub the sachet between your fingers and, voila!

However, the best deterrent to fermenting dirty laundry is---wash it! We do laundry at least once a week when we are on the road, more often if we have the grandbabies with us. I don't want to store, smell or look at a lot of dirty clothing.


Maggie
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #27
Rivet Master
 
Someday'59's Avatar

 
1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 663
Images: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I abhor the look and smell of piles of dirty laundry.

However, the best deterrent to fermenting dirty laundry is---wash it! We do laundry at least once a week when we are on the road, more often if we have the grandbabies with us. I don't want to store, smell or look at a lot of dirty clothing.
I agree! I'm most comfortable with going about 4 days before doing laundry.... but that isn't always possible. Lavender is a great idea!
__________________
~Lynnetta

my restoration & travel blog:
https://someday1959.blogspot.com
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #28
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday'59 View Post
Does this help with hamper-funk? (Or maybe I'm the only one battling hamper-funk?)
Maybe it's a man thing, but I prefer a packet of activated charcoal to any kind of sissy dried flowers for odor control.

Of course, there's the old standby, the box of baking soda, but what a mess if you tip it over!
__________________
I thought getting old would take longer!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member
 
mgriffrus's Avatar
 
1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday'59 View Post
I am trying to decide if I belong in this thread or not. Admittedly, I'm not taking trips in an Interstate. There are 5 us though. When we're packing it helps to remember we're in a small(ish) space.
Since you brought this up, my wife and I were wondering where you put everything during the open house at Canopener.....It didn't look like you did the "fluff and stuff" and put everything in the truck.
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #30
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 15,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Maybe it's a man thing, but I prefer a packet of activated charcoal to any kind of sissy dried flowers for odor control.

Of course, there's the old standby, the box of baking soda, but what a mess if you tip it over!
Well, ya know, it probably is a man thing. And, that's okay!

We girls like sissy dried flower things, and are generally in charge of laundry issues when we are around.


Maggie
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #31
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We girls like sissy dried flower things, and are generally in charge of laundry issues when we are around.
Probably one reason why I'm still single after all these years…
__________________
I thought getting old would take longer!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #32
Rivet Master
 
Someday'59's Avatar

 
1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 663
Images: 18
Aww, shucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriffrus View Post
Since you brought this up, my wife and I were wondering where you put everything during the open house at Canopener.....It didn't look like you did the "fluff and stuff" and put everything in the truck.
We put it away. Next time ask for a closet tour.
The kids have one large drawer a piece. (Has to fit in the drawer or you can't take it.) Brian and I have a small drawer a piece + closet place.

We use a few "backpacking" items to make it all fit... but we have found that taking less makes for a happier space. Maybe we take it to the extreme. We used to travel with a table but recently kicked it out in favor of more space!

Matt, I did put one thing in the truck. It was the dinner rolls for the pot-luck. (All 100 of them!)
__________________
~Lynnetta

my restoration & travel blog:
https://someday1959.blogspot.com
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #33
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 15,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday'59 View Post
Maybe we take it to the extreme. We used to travel with a table but recently kicked it out in favor of more space!
Not extreme at all.

After our first long trip in 2007, we took the pedestal table that took up one entire under-bench area in the rear and put it in the garage.

We have never used it again, and don't miss it. We need that space for other things, and have gotten very accustomed to eating on our laps or the picnic table outside.


Maggie
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member
 
mgriffrus's Avatar
 
1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 320
.....and going back to the discussion earlier about how nice it is to have paper copies. We're (I guess) gen-x who usually embrace all things digital. We do travel with three cellphones, two of which are iPhones, three iPods, and iPad, a gps on the dash and a laptop or two.

But what's open on the center console while we're underway? That's right, the good old-fashioned atlas. It's always nice to be able to see a "big picture" of the days travel or to throw it out in the picnic table and plan out a day or two.
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #35
Rivet Master
 
Someday'59's Avatar

 
1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 663
Images: 18
It's a good thing these make our life better???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriffrus View Post
We do travel with three cellphones, two of which are iPhones, three iPods, and iPad, a gps on the dash and a laptop or two.
Ug! It's all of this stuff!! These things are my nemesis in small space living.... especially in the everything-needs-charged department. I have cables and electronics out my ears! We had the foresight to put a 12v outlet in one cabinet but there are so many electronics that need homes! I'm still looking for a cable-reducing simplified charging station for all of our gadgets.

Come to think of it... I doubt all of these things take up less space than the recipe box.
__________________
~Lynnetta

my restoration & travel blog:
https://someday1959.blogspot.com
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #36
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday'59 View Post
Ug! It's all of this stuff!! These things are my nemesis in small space living.... especially in the everything-needs-charged department. I have cables and electronics out my ears!
As long as different manufacturers don't share charging devices due to patent laws, don't hold your breath waiting.

I just put each charger in a labeled ziplock bag, and drop them all in a box in one of the overhead lockers. Then when I need one, even though I still have to look through the box, I can tell at a glance which charger is which. They don't get tangled up with each other, either!
__________________
I thought getting old would take longer!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #37
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 15,898
Plastic bags are wonderful organizers and space-reducers. We move pasta, crackers, etc., into ziplock bags before we put them away. Leftovers can also be stored in these in the tiny frig.

We keep chargers, pet things and other small items in Duluth Trading company's back seat organizer and Cab Commander, which sit on the back of and behind the passenger seat. Perfect, easily accessible and washable.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	176835  
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member
 
mgriffrus's Avatar
 
1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 320
Staying juiced

I know there are some wireless inductive charging pads that work with specialized device cases. Drop the device on the pad and it charges. Last time I looked at the prices, it was worth it to deal with the wires....

Most of our stuff gets charged in the truck while we're on the road or left alone because if we get it out it means working and who wants to deal with that on vacation?
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:05 AM   #39
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Plastic bags are wonderful organizers and space-reducers. We move pasta, crackers, etc., into ziplock bags before we put them away. Leftovers can also be stored in these in the tiny frig.

We keep chargers, pet things and other small items in Duluth Trading company's back seat organizer and Cab Commander, which sit on the back of and behind the passenger seat. Perfect, easily accessible and washable.

Maggie
I use one of those, too, on the passenger seat. Behind the front passenger seat I've got a Mercedes Benz Sprinter coat hanger, where I hang my raincoat, or whatever jacket I'm using for cold-weather trips. It's a lot better than the el-cheapo aftermarket seat-back coat hanger I used to use.
Attached Images
 
__________________
I thought getting old would take longer!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #40
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 15,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriffrus View Post
I know there are some wireless inductive charging pads that work with specialized device cases. Drop the device on the pad and it charges. Last time I looked at the prices, it was worth it to deal with the wires....

Most of our stuff gets charged in the truck while we're on the road or left alone because if we get it out it means working and who wants to deal with that on vacation?
We recently bought an inverter for the dash that allows two items to charge at once, also a small, unobtrusive thingy for one of the kitchen outlets that adds an outlet and has a little port on the side for a computer, camera, phone, etc.(Pardon my lack of appropriate techno-speak.). Extension cords just take up too much space on the counter.

We charge while driving, too, especially when doing a lot of dry camping---but then there's all those things sliding around up front. What to do with that?

We have one of those little pads for the dash, that is supposed to prevent sliding of phones, etc., but it is small and not terribly effective but for a straight and uninteresting road.


Maggie
__________________

__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One Pot Meals in a Super Small Space bugsbunny Sprinter and B-van Forum 54 07-11-2019 10:40 AM
Living in 34' AS Fulltime - Living My Parent's Dream.... bugnot1 Member Introductions 14 12-21-2010 08:40 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.