Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2015, 08:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Security system for AS Sprinter-Ideas?

I've read about attractiveness of Mercedes Sprinter to thieves taking contents. Thought is "Mercedes" and "home" so computers, laptops, iPads etc probably in there.

Any good ideas on security system would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Bobsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I thought they came with an alarm system, most new vehicles do. I have use "Viper" in the past. Have it professionally installed to insure proper operation.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I haven't heard or read that, and think that, unless you live or store in a very high crime area, an extra security system is unnecessary.

Lock your doors, keep important and expensive things out of sight, as you would your car.

Maggie
Old 05-30-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
There's lots of threads about this. Do a search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsprinter View Post
I've read about attractiveness of Mercedes Sprinter to thieves taking contents. Thought is "Mercedes" and "home" so computers, laptops, iPads etc probably in there.

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Hico , Texas
Not appropriate response

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
There's lots of threads about this. Do a search.
These forums are to exchange information. Telling someone to search is not an appropriate response. Everybody knows they can search the topic. They are looking for direct assistance.

If you do not have any information the person posting is seeking then do not reply with this kind of message taking up space. Please allow others with information to reply.

Philip & Luci
Lazy Dude Ranch
Hico Texas
pdvasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:06 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
I am looking for a replacement 2 way refrigerator for my 1978 int AS good used is what I'm looking for , new ones are out of my budget. Any info appreciated.
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsprinter View Post

Thanks.
If I interpret correctly, it sounds like you are more concerned about losing loose contents than fixed vehicular components such as stereo system and computer console.

One regular forum user did have some dash components stolen almost immediately after purchase if I remember correctly, and I believe he put in a vehicle-wide security system.

I myself went round and round on the computers and etc. valuables issue because my Interstate use occasionally intersects with my professional life and I have to have my devices with me at times. There is also the related potential scenario of how best to lock up firearms if small children are present (there's a separate thread on firearm management in the Interstate).

The issue is that there's a trade-off between hardening the security options for loose devices vs. available space (and of course price is also a factor). Rather than installing a vehicle-wide security system or a conventional safe per se, one of the first gadgets I settled upon for an extra layer of protection is the Pacsafe Travelsafe 12L security bag. It has the advantage of not being rigid. Thus it can be rolled up when not needed and filled when required, plus, you can squirrel it away into body cavities of the Interstate where thieves would be less likely to find it. Most break-ins are going to be of the smash-and-grab type, and if they don't find what they are looking for quickly, they leave without. Even if someone did manage to locate my 12L, they'd find it to be cabled and locked to the frame of the Sprinter body. So there's a slow-down factor there that should help to minimize loss in the average scenario. The 12L also works well for gun storage so there's a versatility factor at a very low price point.

There are conventional safes that could also be installed, such as hotel type safes, but I ended up not going that route because of the weight and the space that would have been needed. A safe would need to be bolted in to be even slightly effective, and in my Interstate the only way I'd be able to accomplish that would be via sacrificing a lot of closet space. Some RV safes are designed to be mounted into the floor, but I don't think the Interstate has room for those.

I also tend to employ certain administrative methods, such as making the vehicle appear as if someone might be still in it (window blinds drawn, TV antenna up, roof fan left running). I bought custom block-out shades for all three cab windows (windshield plus side windows) and I love them - def one of my best purchases. Nobody can see anything whatsoever inside the vehicle.

Remember too that you can elect to increase your insurance coverage for contents.

And FWIW, I sometimes put the attached advisory in one of the cab windows, a somewhat humorous deterrent idea that also derived from an Air Forums thread.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150323_SECURITY.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	239562  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:24 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Tulsa , Oklahoma
Thank you for this reply. Very helpful-a number of thoughts that had not occurred to me.
Bobsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:26 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
One regular forum user did have some dash components stolen almost immediately after purchase if I remember correctly, and I believe he put in a vehicle-wide security system.
That's me. At the same time I had the van repaired, I had a Viper alarm system installed. There are some drawbacks… I can never unplug the chassis battery using the plug down by the accelerator pedal or it sets off the alarm. And I can't allow the van to sit for more than three weeks without driving it somewhere or else the alarm system will run down the chassis battery. That's year-round. On the plus side, I live near the Gulf Coast so the climate is well-suited to using the van year-round.
Quote:
The issue is that there's a trade-off between hardening the security options for loose devices vs. available space (and of course price is also a factor).
The cost of the alarm system I installed was about the same as one year's insurance premium. Which makes the alarm a better investment than the insurance policy in my book. For the price of a year's premiums, I've significantly reduced the chance of having to file another claim.
Quote:
So there's a slow-down factor there that should help to minimize loss in the average scenario.
Having studied security system design for Corps of Engineers critical infrastructure after 9/11, there are only two things ANY security system can do: (1) slow down the miscreants long enough to make them go away empty-handed or— hopefully— get caught in the act; and (2) identify the miscreants so they can be caught and prosecuted. And those are only ideals, not always achievable in real life. But the point is, if you're relying upon a security system to do any more than that, you're deluding yourself.
Quote:
I bought custom block-out shades for all three cab windows (windshield plus side windows) and I love them - def one of my best purchases. Nobody can see anything whatsoever inside the vehicle.
For protection against burglary, hiding your goodies is the first and best defense. Smash-and-grab "artists" are by definition lazy. Breaking in when they don't know if they'll find anything is too much work, when another vehicle just down the block has visible goodies worth taking.
Quote:
Remember too that you can elect to increase your insurance coverage for contents.
But also remember that your premium will go up as well. And you'll pay the increased premium whether you have a break-in or not. So decide for yourself the balance between risk and reward.
Quote:
And FWIW, I sometimes put the attached advisory in one of the cab windows, a somewhat humorous deterrent idea that also derived from an Air Forums thread.
The "Beware of owner" label is not really a theft deterrent. In New Orleans at least, it's a theft invitation, because it tells thieves that they're likely to find a stealable gun in the vehicle. There are lots of venues where even a concealed-carry permit doesn't permit you to carry a gun (Saints games at the Superdome, for example) and thieves have figured out that these venues are good places to find guns in cars, because the gun owners will leave their guns in their cars while inside the venue.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:27 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
I don't know how to link a thread.

But there's a pretty good one that started 5-18 called "Vehicle Security - What have you done?"
Marks71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks71 View Post
I don't know how to link a thread.

But there's a pretty good one that started 5-18 called "Vehicle Security - What have you done?"
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ne-135290.html

Here's how I link a thread… Open the thread in a new browser window. Copy the URL. Paste the URL into your post using the hyperlink function (globe with a chain link at the top of the message box).
Old 05-30-2015, 02:51 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Great. Thx.
Marks71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I'm sorry if you feel that my post was inappropriate, but I disagree. My suggestion was made to direct the OP to numerous threads that contain far more valuable information that I can provide in a single post, such as:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...as-127674.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...-104399-2.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...rm-132471.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ms-128374.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...te-109490.html

(I stopped counting at five threads, but there are more).

I would suggest my post was more than worthy in answering his original question since it informed him of the fact there are numerous threads already on the subject, and with a simple search he could have a complete answer to the options that are available to him, rather than repeat them again here. It in no way prevented any else from replying. At least my posts, including this one, gave him some useful information.

It's folks like you that have nothing at all to add to the thread (noting you don't even own an Interstate) who feel compelled to make off-topic comments that make it really hard to participate in these types of forums. Thank you for that, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdvasquez View Post
These forums are to exchange information. Telling someone to search is not an appropriate response. Everybody knows they can search the topic. They are looking for direct assistance.

If you do not have any information the person posting is seeking then do not reply with this kind of message taking up space. Please allow others with information to reply.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:28 PM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdvasquez View Post
Telling someone to search is not an appropriate response. Everybody knows they can search the topic.
Not so. Lots of newcomers to the forums don't realize they can do a search. Admittedly gmillerok1 would have done better to say "search on keywords 'Interstate alarm'" than to just say "go search" but at least he did provide a constructive suggestion rather than just a criticism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev1940 View Post
I am looking for a replacement 2 way refrigerator for my 1978 int AS good used is what I'm looking for , new ones are out of my budget. Any info appreciated.
Bev1940, your post is completely off-topic here and likely to be ignored by anyone who can actually help you. I assume the post here was accidental and you meant to put it somewhere else. You may want to repost your inquiry in a new thread on the "General Repair" sub-forum if you want to get an answer.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I concur 100%. I was a bit hurried in my original response as I got interrupted in the middle of it and didn't take the time I should have in responding. One of the hazards of written communication is one cannot ever hear the inflection or tone intended. What was meant as constructive can be equally taken as smug. Had I had the time, I would have posted the links for him. At least he has them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Not so. Lots of newcomers to the forums don't realize they can do a search. Admittedly gmillerok1 would have done better to say "search on keywords 'Interstate alarm'" than to just say "go search" but at least he did provide a constructive suggestion rather than just a criticism....
Old 05-31-2015, 04:50 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Effectively searching these forums can be a bit daunting, and I think requires skill in "searching", period, which everyone doesn't have....me, included.

I still have a great deal of difficulty finding a particular subject matter here, and, that said, there are a lot of redundant threads started because folks don't know how to effectively search......or, simply want to connect with others here, which you don't get from the search function.

And, we all have our impatient moments.

There are also some amazing brainiacs here , who so overflow with information to share with others that it is good to tap those minds and give them the exercise they need.

Those who search well, providing links to those who don't/won't, seems a happy medium.

Maggie
Old 05-31-2015, 06:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I tend to give posters the benefit of the doubt where repeat questions arise. This forum template falls way short of ideal... there have been many times when I have attempted to do my due diligence and look for existing threads before asking a new question, and when I put in a keyword I will get either 0 hits or about 508 hits, neither of which represent search outcomes that can be productively drilled.

Plus there are common topics spread across different subforums and it might not be intuitively obvious that a cross-search might yield results.

Aaaand there have been times when someone asks a question, everyone jumps on it without prejudice as if it's a novel thread, and then a month later I'll stumble across another historical thread with exactly the same content that apparently nobody knew about.

Repeat questions are a good opportunity to summarize the bottom lines from previous threads, if someone feels up to the task of doing so. And to provide linkposts of previous threads.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:22 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Back to the subject of this thread - I'm adding a dash camera to my van for security purposes. I've chosen the BlackVue DR650GW-2CH dual channel camera system. One camera will look forward through the windshield and the other will provide and inside view mounted above and behind the driver seat.

http://www.blackvue.com/en/contents/sub1.asp?idx=26

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:13 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Back to the subject of this thread - I'm adding a dash camera to my van for security purposes. I've chosen the BlackVue DR650GW-2CH dual channel camera system. One camera will look forward through the windshield and the other will provide and inside view mounted above and behind the driver seat.

BlackVue - Full HD 1080p Dash Cameras with GPS

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
I have the single channel Blackvue model and can attest to its' quality. I hooked it up to the same power source as the backup monitor. HD video. It's fun to see all the bad drivers later in review and it sure makes it easier to prove who was at fault in case of an accident.

As for searching, the best way I have found is to use Google, type in "Airforums Interstate [topic]" and it should list every thread that had those terms. Admittedly the search tool on this forum is more difficult to use than it needs to be.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Completed the installation of BlackVue 2-channel dash camera. Here are a couple of photos of the camera installation and screen shots of the front and rear cameras taken on my iPhone using the BlackVue Wi-Fi interface.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433437924.653153.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	239964

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433437959.038970.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	239965

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433437990.409006.jpg