Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Another factor in the insurance rate equation is your credit score. They've been using that for a number of years now. Not sure how that correlates w/ your risk level but apparently they think it does.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I don't use the alarm while I'm occupying it; don't want to set the alarm off myself. That would really annoy the neighbors, and ruin my sleep, too. When I'm sleeping in it, no one is going to get in without waking me, and anyone who does get in will get a face-full of wasp spray.

Because you even asked the question, I'd guess you're at least a little bit worried about it. Do what you need to do to feel safe. If you don't feel safe, it won't be fun. As a rule, though, campgrounds tend to be safer than the places where we store our Airstreams between trips.

My alarm isn't a perfect defense against vandalism. Spray painted graffiti wouldn't set off the alarm but would cost a pretty penny to fix, for example. And even the alarm doesn't help if I'm at work and not at home to hear it go off. But I don't worry about it; that's what I have insurance for, to have them do the worrying for me.

Viper. Shock sensor (impact, sometimes nuissance-tripped by pounding bass in passing car's stereos and by thunderclaps), glass break sensor, tilt sensor (which also functions as a flat tire alarm as well as detecting if someone's trying to tow it or jack it up), backup Li-ion battery so cutting the main battery cables doesn't silence it, backup siren with its own built-in Li-ion battery so they can't shut it off by killing the horn, eiher. Cost just over a grand, but I figure that <1% of the purchase price of the vehicle is cheap insurance. Didn't get remote start, but could have.

Also, if you plan to install an alarm, tell your insurance company. Two reasons: (1) it may bring down the price of your comprehensive coverage to have the alarm; (2) the insurance policy should cover damage to the alarm system, too, since anyone who does break in will want to disable the alarm, and that will have to be fixed as well.
thx.
roadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Another factor in the insurance rate equation is your credit score. They've been using that for a number of years now. Not sure how that correlates w/ your risk level but apparently they think it does.
That's interesting. Thankfully, we have good credit scores. thx.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Reminds me of something a British friend of mine once said: The difference between Americans and Europeans is, to an American, a hundred years is a long time. To a European, a hundred miles is a long distance.
So true.