Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2016, 11:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lady Lake , Florida
New Interstate Owner Question

My 2016 Interstate is my fourth motorhome. Two of the priors were purchased new. We are familiar with growing pains with a new rig, nonetheless I am somewhat distressed with our new Interstate.

We have had it for five weeks and have been back to the RV dealer three times and the Mercedes shop once.

At the RV dealer we got new AGM house batteries and a section of exterior plastic (chrome appearing trim) replaced twice. The awning extended and would not retract on our first outing (motor on order). Also on the first outing, the rear TV would not play a DVD (A/B signal switch on order). Interior trim on the sliding door comes off almost each time the door is opened or closed (yet to be addressed, had a technician at the dealer tell me to push it in each time the door is closed). One of the day screens runs crooked. When fully down on one side it is up several inches on the other side ( new screen on order).

Mercedes replaced the blind spot sensor on the right rear.

All these issues are fixable and eventually I will work through each. Is my experience with an Interstate typical?

Maybe I have one of the Monday coaches someone joked about in another thread.

Thanks!
M and R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by M and R View Post
All these issues are fixable and eventually I will work through each. Is my experience with an Interstate typical?

Thanks!
Mine wasn't that bad -but I did have 6-7 items that required an 8 hour round trip to the dealer (twice) for my 2013; and two 4 hour round trips the dealer for my 2016. Would have been more but after they didn't fix it the first trip (in both cases) I just fixed it myself. (PAIN).

2013 model needed new batteries; but it took me a year to figure it out because I was new to RV and didn't realize I should be getting more than 1 day of no use out of them; I ended up buying batteries but vendor gave me them at warranty price (1/2 price) even though I wasn't a dealer.

2013 model had awning problem (bad motor) replaced it myself.

2016 I bought in December:
- Bad backup sensors (dealer replaced)
- EXT Bed supports under rear lounge were broke; dealer tried to fix, fell off again on the drive home; screw it; I don't use the flip downs anyway, parts in the garage so I can zip tie it in place when I trade this one in. (the 2013 one fell out too sometimes)
- Window shades out of adjustment (full Saturday screwing with those)
- Chrome light trim on bathroom light fell off
- Fantastic fan vent motor (opens the vent) ran by itself, wouldn't shut off and eventually stripped the coupler (I use a phillips screwdriver to open it right now - new motor requested direct from Airstream).
- veneer trim on bathroom door fell off (yep, all the way - hot iron and put it back on myself.
- bathroom door handle didn't work on delivery (installed parts myself).
- "chrome" trim down driver side of van falling off; new 3M double sided tape fixed it myself.

=========
Crap - now that I write them all out at once the 2016 was far worse than my 2013!

The 2013 being my first purchase over $100k that didn't have 3 bedrooms I was very disappointed in the quality of the build. AI has to fall in somewhere below YUGO on JD Power's Initial Build Quality Survey but after about 3 months of getting all the crap figured out and mostly fixed. I love driving 700 miles on two tanks of gas.

I've never owned another camper or motorhome; I drive from IL to NC and NC to CA for work/family and didn't figure I'd be willing to pay the fuel costs to drive a pusher. While the AI won't pay for itself in hotel room savings on trips (we do sleep at Walmart/Street Park in the van when we go most places) it sure is nice not making a potty break before the rig needs fuel.

This forum is great place to get tips, tricks and that shoulder to cry on when you need it.

Here is to hoping you enjoy your AI as much as the rest of us do ours (eventually).

Mike.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
My 2016 Interstate is my fourth motorhome. Two of the priors were purchased new. We are familiar with growing pains with a new rig, nonetheless I am somewhat distressed with our new Interstate.

We have had it for five weeks and have been back to the RV dealer three times and the Mercedes shop once.

At the RV dealer we got new AGM house batteries and a section of exterior plastic (chrome appearing trim) replaced twice. The awning extended and would not retract on our first outing (motor on order). Also on the first outing, the rear TV would not play a DVD (A/B signal switch on order). Interior trim on the sliding door comes off almost each time the door is opened or closed (yet to be addressed, had a technician at the dealer tell me to push it in each time the door is closed). One of the day screens runs crooked. When fully down on one side it is up several inches on the other side ( new screen on order).

Mercedes replaced the blind spot sensor on the right rear.

Thanks!
Other than the dealer doing something "odd" with my wheels (one dualie on the drivers side has a valve extender, the others don't, and the one that does have it is leaking slowly so I need to get that repaired/replaced by my local tire guy), mine has been perfect. My dealer did go through it pretty thoroughly prior to delivery (but apparently didn't check the wheels.....) and made sure everything worked before giving me the "come pick it up" call.

When I did pick it up (actually they delivered it to me), on my walk through we tested everything, with multiple extends/retracts of the awning, multiple up/down of all shades, checked the TV's, fridge, stove top, water, shower, head, stereo, couch recline, seat swivels, etc. Took about 3hrs and I was already pretty familiar with the operation because I read through the owner's manual prior to my walk through (downloaded from their web site).

IMO, based on your list of "things wrong", ALL of them should have been addressed by your dealer prior to delivery. I assume you did a walk through before you picked it up??? If so, battery replacement (why???), door trim, exterior trim (twice??? why???), awning, and day screens all should have been caught.....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #4
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
my 2016 was delivered to my door as well (2 hrs from dealer) I did a walk thru with the delivery guy and noted all of those issues upon delivery. Didn't refuse the van because I had been down this road with the 2013 and figured it would get worked out eventually.

Put all of the issues on the 'we owe' sheet when I signed for it then drove it back to the dealership 3 months later (1st chance I had) to get him to fix. A week later he said it was fixed so I went to pick it up. Nope, nope, Nope, Nope. . . said to leave it with him another week - I said no thanks; not driving back here again - and took it home.

I don't understand why a QA guy can't go over it at AI when built, then another one at dealership when received, and another one at dealer when prepped for delivery. I get it; every QA ads costs - I'm sure that is why AI is so friendly about sending out repair parts to owners. They know its an issue and are willing to 'do what is right' for the van owner (Thanks Jim@AI).

On topic of Wheels - forgot: Both vans required the front wheels be re-balanced; had high speed steering vibration at around 55 on first van and 70 on second van. Wheel balancing fixed it (break bead & remount - not just adding weights!!)
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Lady Lake , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post

IMO, based on your list of "things wrong", ALL of them should have been addressed by your dealer prior to delivery. I assume you did a walk through before you picked it up??? If so, battery replacement (why???), door trim, exterior trim (twice??? why???), awning, and day screens all should have been caught.....

When we did the walk through, it was plugged in to shore power. I plugged it in when I got home. The first time it was unplugged and not being driven, the house batteries went from 12.9 VDC to 10.2 VDC in five minutes. I called the dealer and was told to bring it in for them to check it. It responded the same at the dealer. I believe the rig was left on the dealer lot with dead batteries for an extended period.

The exterior trim was identified on the walk through. It was replaced before we accepted it. It has now been replaced again (poor site prep by the dealer?).

I believe the plastic push fasteners used to attach the door trim are not up to the task.

On the walk through the dealer ran the awning out and in, it worked fine. I did not run it multiple times.

The shades, I checked for all operating, I did not go to the rear of the rig and check the fit at the bottom (my bad).
Old 09-24-2016, 01:22 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Lady Lake , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
On topic of Wheels - forgot: Both vans required the front wheels be re-balanced; had high speed steering vibration at around 55 on first van and 70 on second van. Wheel balancing fixed it (break bead & remount - not just adding weights!!)
I did not even mention wheel balance. I had the same vibration issue 55 and above. Left front wheel took 4.6 pounds to balance. Right was okay.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think the all electric models have some special issues, and make me glad everything on ours is manual.

My late husband would look at these electric awnings, beds, steps, etc., and say "just one more thing to go wrong"...and, he would be right.

I know of another 2016 owner who blows a fuse every time she activates the sewer dump, had to have the batteries immediately replaced, the step sticks, batteries drain quickly, etc.

Be patient with it, get it fixed to your satisfaction, and get out there and enjoy it.

Maybe overnight at the dealer to be sure everything is okay before you leave.

Maggie
Old 09-24-2016, 01:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Apparently Airstream hasn't figured out that the 3M VHB tape doesn't work very on dirty surfaces. The leading and trailing ends of all of mine were coming loose after less than nine months. Dealer tried fixing it by using some black, gummy stuff which worked for about a day. I removed it and cleaned both surfaces and replaced the existing tape and it was still holding four years later when I sold it.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:10 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Lady Lake , Florida
Thanks for the comments. Inspite of the issues, we love how it drives and the mileage. But everyone posting here knows that.

We have made the Alaska trip five times. We want to get the issues worked out before we head North on our sixth, in May 2017.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I think the all electric models have some special issues, and make me glad everything on ours is manual.

My late husband would look at these electric awnings, beds, steps, etc., and say "just one more thing to go wrong"...and, he would be right.
Amen to that. In the elaborate Sprinter-based Class B I have designed in my head as a possible retirement fascinator, almost everything is manually-operated.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
I did not even mention wheel balance. I had the same vibration issue 55 and above. Left front wheel took 4.6 pounds to balance. Right was okay.
4.6 POUNDS!! Yikes that is a real problem. Did you mean ounces....I hope.
Road Jager
Old 09-26-2016, 05:19 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Lady Lake , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadJager View Post
4.6 POUNDS!! Yikes that is a real problem. Did you mean ounces....I hope.
Road Jager
No, the technician showed me the computer printout. It read 75 ounces.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:46 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

St Augustine , Florida
Wow that's not normal to need four pounds of weights hahahaha

John Jackson
www.NotStockPhotography.com
Old 09-26-2016, 09:31 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If it requires more than a couple of ounces, the tire should be removed, turned slightly on the wheel- maybe 1/4 turn, remounted, and balanced again.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:57 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
No, the technician showed me the computer printout. It read 75 ounces.

Many tire shops have equipment that measures in grams vs. ounces. I can believe 75g, but not 75oz. Something isn't right.....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:54 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple City , California
Pretty sure my 2017 Interstate was made on Friday before a long weekend.
So far I'm at 1400 miles and I've had the transmission and torque converter replaced at 150 miles.
Instrument cluster replaced.
Fantastic fan had bad rain sensor(fixed).
Generator knocking noise(fixing this week)
Fake wood dash application peeling(fixed)
Steering wheel shakes at above 65mph(not fixed)
Exterior side chrome moulding lifting off(not fixed)
One power shade rail came loose(not fixed)

What next?
dapolrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:59 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

We have a 2015 Interstate EXT Lounge and keep bringing it to the shop. This is a 100 mile trip for us not including the time (drive one way/train return - then reverse to pick up). Two leaks from the outside, one leak from over-tighten gaskets in the bathroom, faulty propane switch and gauge, heating pads on the gray tank peeled off twice, awning not extending smoothly, bathroom fan malfunction, leak in toilet paper holder when using shower, and maybe some things I have forgotten. We have owned it almost 2 years and have over 20,000 miles on it. With all the problems we still love this RV. It is our first RV and we are using it more than we ever imagined. We are a little concerned as to what is going to happen when our warranty expires. We are thinking of trading in for a newer model.
Honeypooh is offline   Reply With Quote