Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2015, 05:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Manassas , Virginia
Winterizing Interstate Waterpump

I own a 2015 Interstate with the water pump installed on the driver's side under the freezer. There is not a lot of room to add a bypass to the water pump to draw antifreeze into the pump and push out the water.

Has anyone installed a bypass on the water pump under the freezer? If not, what is the best way to draw antifreeze into the pump?

I suppose I could dump a gallon of antifreeze into the empty fresh water tank and then run the pump until antifreeze came out a nearby faucet. I could then pump antifreeze into the rest of the plumbing through the city water inlet. However, I don't like the idea of cleaning the antifreeze out of the fresh water tank next spring.
curmugeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That is, however, the way it is generally done.

Flushing the antifreeze out is a bit of a pia, but not that big of a deal, really.

You could probably have an RV dealer winterize and dewinterize for you, if you didn't want to deal with it.

Maggie
Old 11-04-2015, 06:31 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by curmugeon View Post
I own a 2015 Interstate with the water pump installed on the driver's side under the freezer. There is not a lot of room to add a bypass to the water pump to draw antifreeze into the pump and push out the water.
Thinking outside the box… If you winterize by blowing compressed air through all of the lines, then after you do that, you can simply unbolt the water pump, disconnect the inlet and outlet lines and the electrical connections, and store the danged thing indoors until spring. No one says you have to leave it in place if you're not going to use it.

Then you don't need antifreeze in your freshwater system, only in your wastewater system. You still need to run antifreeze through your macerator pump. I don't recommend disconnecting it and taking it indoors because that leaves dangly bits dangling under your van so that you'd not even be able to use it as a van while it's winterized.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
On my 2013 AI I was able to get a 90 quick-disconnect fitting for the pump. I can (with a few contortions) remove the suction connection fitting and hook up my 90 deg fitting with a 3' section of clear tubing that goes into a jug of antifreeze. I pump it through the system using the water pump.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-07-2015, 07:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

I use anti freeze in my under sink grey water traps and in my black and grey waste tanks but none in my water lines. I bypass my hot water, drain it, drain the fresh water tank, blow out the lines with a tire inflator (I get plenty of pressure) drain out the low point in the water line and add the anti freeze. I am good to go to below zero in Colorado winters.
The water pump, I simply disconnect both ends and run it for a few seconds to blow out the water and leave it in place.
If you follow this method, blow out each tap multiple times so you are getting only air. The toilet requires attention because there are lots of fragile plastic parts subject to freezing if any water is in the valve.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
+1 on the special attention to the toilet. I didn't get all the water out of the flush valve on mine last winter. We had weeks of near zero deg F when I returned to Maryland from Florida in February. Should have stayed in Florida for a few more weeks. 😄

In May when I refilled the water system the flush valve leaked due to crack. Local RV supply stores were out of stock so tried to repair it with epoxy, but it didn't work. I had to order one online.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:54 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
I want to run RV antifreeze through my water lines but I do not want to put the antifreeze into my fresh water tank. Instead I want to purchase a winterization kit. I have read that you simply need to disconnect the water input line going into the water pump and attach a piece of plastic tubing to the water pump and then run the other end of the plastic tube into a gallon of RV antifreeze and turn the pump on. Let the antifreeze circulate to every tap making sure to open both hot and cold. Can someone tell me what size plastic tubing to purchase and where I might find it? I am in Phoenix so this might not be necessary but I would rather be safe than sorry. Thanks
Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:27 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Manassas , Virginia
Thanks for all the great suggestions. My biggest concern was the small access afforded to the water pump under the refrigerator-freezer to do any type of work on the pump inlet and out flow lines.

It turns out that the access is MUCH larger if you have the refrigerator-freezer vent modification added to your late model AI. On my 2015 AI, the modification was done under warranty and the dealer installed the bypass valve on my water pump as a courtesy.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:43 PM   #9

2012 Interstate Coach
A point of interest, the Grand Tour models are different from all others, even in the same model year. So it would be very handy if those who own a Grand Tour would update their profiles to show "Grand Tour" instead of "Interstate EXT." That way those of us responding will know that yours is different.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:25 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Manassas , Virginia
Not in profile pick list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
A point of interest, the Grand Tour models are different from all others, even in the same model year. So it would be very handy if those who own a Grand Tour would update their profiles to show "Grand Tour" instead of "Interstate EXT." That way those of us responding will know that yours is different.
The profile pick list doesn't have a choice for 2015 Grand Tour otherwise I would have selected it. Your suggestion is worthwhile none the less.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by curmugeon View Post
The profile pick list doesn't have a choice for 2015 Grand Tour otherwise I would have selected it. Your suggestion is worthwhile none the less.
Until you said that, I hadn't realized that "2016 Interstate Grand Tour" is a pick list option but "2015 Interstate Grand Tour" is not.

Think we need a site admin to add "2015 Interstate Grand Tour" to the list.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bozeman , Montana
Hello all -- I have a 2017 Grand Tour. First time I've needed to winterize -- I bought a water pump kit with the plan to run anti-freeze through my system after blowing it out. When I accessed the water pump it has quick connectors, I would need to cut the input hose to install the "T-valve" and I was also concerned about the restriction this valve creates and expectation that it would reduce water pressure. I've thoroughly blown out the plumbing and think I'm okay but I'm wondering if others have installed a water pump kit on this unit and how it was done. We're in MT so it may get cold this winter Thanks!
ArcherTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
I run into the same issue with mine.
I did not install the kit and only blow the water lines out and used the antifreeze in the gray and black water tank.
Blowing the lines out is enough just don't forget the toilet and the outside shower.
Peter
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
I have blown the lines out before, but now I pump antifreezethrugh the system. I found the pump fittings on Amazon. I bought a 90 degree fitting and a length of clear tubing. Now I just disconnect the pump suction and snap on the 90 and tubing. Then just pump the antifreeze from a bottle. Unfortunately, on my 2013 Lounge EXT, accessing the pump requires practically standing on my head, at least with my less-than-slender body.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherTC View Post
Hello all -- I have a 2017 Grand Tour. First time I've needed to winterize -- I bought a water pump kit with the plan to run anti-freeze through my system after blowing it out. When I accessed the water pump it has quick connectors, I would need to cut the input hose to install the "T-valve" and I was also concerned about the restriction this valve creates and expectation that it would reduce water pressure. I've thoroughly blown out the plumbing and think I'm okay but I'm wondering if others have installed a water pump kit on this unit and how it was done. We're in MT so it may get cold this winter Thanks!
Don't forget to run antifreeze thru the macerator pump.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Sorry, I can't resist this... we are standing by here in my neck of the woods with bated breath waiting for our camping season to finally begin. Houstonians' fingers are crossed that we receive a "cold" (i.e., upper 60's) front instead of a messy stationary front four days from today (it never hurts to dream). Husband and I are heading into our third winter of Interstate ownership and no need to winterize yet - not even remotely. If we ever had to do it, I might die of a heart attack at the shock of it. Every year at this time, the winterizing threads re-commence, and it feels surreal to me, in view of our current conditions:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160922_weather.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	272160  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:09 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bozeman , Montana
Thanks all. I've blown out the entire system with 60 psi. Ran the water pump dry for a few seconds and leaving the fittings off for the winter. No AF except drains and grey / black tanks. I'll let you know in the spring how I fare through the MT winter
ArcherTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Thanks all. I've blown out the entire system with 60 psi. Ran the water pump dry for a few seconds and leaving the fittings off for the winter. No AF except drains and grey / black tanks. I'll let you know in the spring how I fare through the MT winter
Macerator?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:07 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Antrim , New Hampshire
Quote:
Blowing out the lines, AF in grey/black tanks as well as Macerator pump and s t r e c h e d out drain hose will do it, use a little over a gallon total. For cold weather proofing, taking the discharge line off the water pump and running it until no water is coming out, is a must. Blowing out the lines will not get water out of the pump. I take a syringe and inject a little AF into it through the discharge opening, hook the line back up and it's good to go for northern winters.
felixkagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:34 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
Last winter I just drained all the lines and tanks, and added 3 gallons of pink stuff into fresh water tanks and run through every outlet, outside shower, toilets, sinks, and macerator pump. Dumped some in every drain, and I had zero problems...
RICKBETTY is offline   Reply With Quote