Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2015, 05:18 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
And yet on my 2012 Interstate, I've had the municipal water intake, exterior shower connection, and macerator pump freeze when an unexpected cold snap in the middle of a camping trip caused the temperature to drop into the mid-twenties overnight when I wasn't prepared for freezing conditions. All the other plumbing was fine, between the furnace and the tank heaters, but not those three items.
Those are all external things, tho, Protag.

I think her plan is to be dry camping, but even with hookups available you wouldn't want to be connected to water if you were expecting freezing temps.

Maggie
Old 09-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #42
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Those are all external things, tho, Protag.
My point exactly. You can't winterize the municipal water hookup by itself, and you can't winterize the external shower by itself. To winterize either one, you've got to winterize the whole van. So if the plan is to dry-camp with electric hookup so the tank heaters can be used, and have a full freshwater tank and not be winterized, then Babybella needs to winterize the macerator pump— which can be winterized by itself— and protect the external shower and municipal water hookups to keep them from freezing since they're not heated very well by the furnace.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:50 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ok....we're talking about the same thing, let's try not to confuse the OP.

You don't have to be hooked up to municipal water....they can just fill their fresh water tanks, which is what most do when freezing temps are expected. Then you don't have to worry about your hose, connection, etc.

Might be able to wrap that external shower....its behind a door, so somewhat protected.

The moderator pump is a different story.

My references were to the interior staying warm enough, with the furnace running at comfort level, to keep things from freezing inside.

I've realized the municipal connection you are talking about is the campgrounds, not the connection to it from the Interstate.

I've never heard of anyone carrying something to protect the campground water supply, but one could certainly do that if the campground didn't take care of it, I guess.

Maggie
Old 09-03-2015, 12:54 AM   #44
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I've realized the municipal connection you are talking about is the campgrounds, not the connection to it from the Interstate.
No. I'm talking about the connection on the side of the van, not the service pedestal. Mine froze on a New Year's camping trip in January 2014 at Poverty Point State Park. I wasn't hooked up to municipal water; I was using water from my fresh tank. But there was some water remaining in the municipal water inlet from my previous camping trip when I did use the hookup, and that's the water that froze.

Also, external shower hookups vary from model to model. Mine is not behind a door, it's right on the side of the van, and it routinely froze during winter camping trips (and developed a permanent leak that had to be repaired by replacing the fitting) until I started using those Styrofoam faucet protectors on the side of the van attached to the water inlet and the shower attachment point.

It's up to the campground to protect the campground's hose connection, so I pay that no mind. If the camp hosts come around and tell me to open it a crack so water will drip then I do so. If they shut the water right off at the source, then that's fine as well, as long as I've already filled the fresh tank before they do.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:53 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm.

Might just leave that outside shower winterized until well into warm weather. It is always the last thing to be cleared with fresh water for me

Hopefully the OP won't run into such severe cold on this trip.

Maggie
Old 12-14-2015, 10:09 AM   #46
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Oakland , California
Leak finally fixed

On our trip to Yellowstone we had more leaks when raining. This time the water came out, almost streaming, where the passenger seat belt attaches to the wall. So...this time we took it back to the dealer from whom we purchased it. They removed the awning which meant removing all the cabinets on that side of the vehicle. They found that the awning was not only installed incorrectly but also had zero caulking! Well, after 8 hours of airstream labor, and a road trip to test it, the roof is finally fixed. Yeah! That's a relief.
Out side of the leaking problem the trip to Yellowstone was great and the Grand Tetons even greater. We had reserved a plug in campsite in case of freezing weather. However, it was not really necessary since we adjusted our timing to stay out of the park during the cold snap. Yellowstone was unusually busy for the first week after labor day, according to the rangers. Most campgrounds were full by 8:30; all were full by noon. The park did not feel crowded, however. No problems with traffic or parking or such.
Babybella is offline   Reply With Quote