Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #1

1964 17' Bambi II
Otis , Oregon
'64 Bambi Leaking windows- new owners

We've tried using clear silicone to stop the leaking without success. We are considering replacing the inner window seals. The top of the window seals are flat. Can we get replacement seals, and if so where? We are located on the north oregon coast
Sue Mommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Welcome to the forums.

Check out Window Gasket for gaskets. Don't be afraid to call. They're very pleasant and have good advice.

If you're very new, make sure you listen to The Vintage Airstream Podcasts. They are a goldmine of information. See The Vintage Airstream Podcast | Vintage Trailer Resotration or search for theVap on iTunes.

Enjoy the trailer!

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Welcome to the forums! I see you have a Bambi II. So do I and several others on this site. I am doing a total redo of my trailer & the windows are part of it that I need to do. I got all the parts from Vintage Trailer Supply (as recommended by 65CV). By the way, what is your serial number on your trailer? We keep trying to determine how many were made & I think the numbers have gone up to 185 or so. Just curious! There is a Bambi II section in the forum link if you are interested in more reading about them. I'd love to see some pictures of your gem!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I thought my 67 Caravel window was leaking, I changed out seals and it still leaked. It turns out, was coming from the TV antenna on the roof.
Just a thought.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Greetings, Sue, and welcome to the Airforums!

Leaks in vintage rigs are sometimes pretty elusive. We've been battling with seals on our 67 for years, primarily sealing around the lower windows in the front, where the leaks seemed to be coming from. But this last time I took Inland Andy's advice to seal around the hinges at the top of the windows (where it didn't appear to be leaking anyway). And, suddenly, the last rain yielded a very distinctly different pattern of leaking. Methinks I may be on the right track this time!

But your Airstream has different windows from those of a couple of years later, and leaks can come from almost bizarre locations, including all the way on the roof (water then seeping down inside the wall to wind up at the windows).

Main message: Don't necessarily buy into the idea that a leak apparent at a window is a leak at the window.

Oh, and because you'll probably hear it anyway from multiple sources here, get rid of that silicone for most uses on Airstreams! There's a whole lot better stuff available. Check out, among other sources, VintageTrailerSupply as well as Inland.

Lynn
Old 05-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My trailer kept several secrets. Windows were the least leaky. The exception was one vista window. An interesting leak point was the curbside awning rail that had loose rivets. When I removed the awning tube, I found 5 missing rivets hidden by the tube. I didn't so much actually chase leaks as I just did all the maintenance from top down. I assumed everything was leaking and quite a few things were.

The hardest leak to find was a four corner outside skin lap. I had to remove the inside skin and insulation to find it. I sat in the trailer on a farmer's milking stool with a poacher's light through a month of thunder storms to find and mitigate all the leaks. My efforts paid off because the trailer is dry through every rain and snow since last fall.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Sue, I have some pictures on my blog on replacing the window gaskets. I took the job one window at a time, so if I got pulled away from the job or if I got tired, I didn't have a bunch of windows removed. I got all the windows out alone but I needed help putting the rear window back in.

Once I had the window removed from the trailer and laying on my shop bench, I cut the old gasket off with a utility knife. Then I used a one inch paint scraper to remove most of the remaining residue. Last I used a cup shaped stiff wire brush in a power drill to buff the window flange clean. I washed the clean flange with acetone. Rags went right into the coal stove.

While I had the windows on my bench, I installed solar film on the inside of the windows.

I used black 3M super weatherstrip adhesive to glue the new gaskets on. I applied the adhesive to both the window and to the gasket and let it tack up as directed by the 3M super weatherstrip adhesive instructions.

It all went well. Inland sent me the correct amount of material as well as a printed instruction sheet showing the installation method. My windows had a solid feel when closing on the new gaskets. I haven't road tested the windows in rain but I've had no leaking while the trailer is parked in my yard.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks